i need some ears on this mix

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by dmoss74, Jan 12, 2017.

1. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

https://app.box.com/s/4wnfsi2csb77rq18qgjgbnqmqr87ye38

for the life of me, i can't tell if this mix is underwater or not. it sounds fine through my studio monitors, but in the living room, there's mud galore. particularly in the left side rhythm guitar.

if anyone can confirm--or deny--my assessment, i'd appreciate it.

the track can be downloaded, if that helps.

forget the playing. a lot will change. i'm just looking for eq advice. thanks

GitFiddle likes this.
  2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I just listened on my "reference" set - a pair of "nicer" computer speakers. I thought it sounded pretty darn good. Everything was clear. There was just the right amount of bottom end. The only thing I didn't care for was the drum sound, but that is subjective. I would give it the car test and the ear-bud test.

3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I thought the drums sounded great. Just a raw dry-ish honest drum sound. The guitars both struck me as very nice. The bass seems to be carrying too much glue....that's what I would look at. There a freq in the bass that's always there....like it's really too compressed for the playing style. I want to hear the notes punch out a bit more.

4. DarrellV

DarrellV 1 Year old and 8K this month or bust! Premium Member

FWIW If these guys don't hear it as badly I would suggest looking at your monitor placement. Especially if the left one is near a corner. That will boost the lows.

Could also be acoustically coupling to the surface its sitting on. Are you using isolaters or foam under them?

5. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

thanks, guys. i know i'm fighting an uphill battle in my mixing room. i have zero wall treatments, and i know i need them. this is a very badly drawn floor plan of the room. and yes, i am--unfortunately--stuck in a corner. the monitors do sit on auralex foam bases though.

[​IMG]

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Could you rotate your desk? It looks like you might be creating a bass trap with the left speaker. I don't know too much about the physics of the room like other guys do....I just know I try to keep my mixing desk away from corners if I can.

7. DarrellV

THIS. I was just thinking that looking at the layout!

Looks like a 180 would do the trick. Lots of room behind them, and then you could hang a heavy comforter or blanket on the wall behind you to lessen the reflections a notch.

That near wall on the left side is gonna tunnel sound to him too. The right is dispersing into the wide open room.

Definitely an unbalanced location. There are few perfect, so please don't get bummed out.

8. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

yeah, maybe i'll do that. it would be a pita, since the room will totally have to be rearranged, but that's fine. thanks.

9. DarrellV

^^^^
    Please believe me when I say that I feel your pain! :)

I'm not just armchair quarterbacking these ideas for fun. I'm pretty sure you put that stuff where it is for a reason that I can't see. :hmm:

10. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

yeah, but the small wall corner will now be near the right monitor. i can't move the desk half way down the wall space. damn this endeavor. :)

11. DarrellV

I've got an idea!

Can you put the desk at a diagonal to the corner its in?

Then both speakers will have the same type of corner boundary effect.

It may enhance a little bottom mid, but it should at least be near the same amount on both sides.

If you are able and have the ears you could eq this out of the monitors later to compensate. But for now they would be more even in their response.

12. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

i'll have to tear down the whole room and see. the bummer is my 88 keyboard controller sits perpendicular to the desk. aren't there bass traps that you put in corners like mine to mitigate the waves of rumble? :)

13. DarrellV

Thats a thought.......

Some foam wedges maybe...deep ones.

Got an old mattress? :laugh2: Lean it up in the corner behind you.

14. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

haha! i could find one in any number of dumpster wells in my area. :)

15. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I can't hear the vocals! :D:D:D:D:D
    (Sorry, couldn't resist)

It actually sounds pretty nice. Like the guitars and drums.

16. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

17. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

MIX: The only thing that's sort of driving me nuts is that the snare is in front of everything. The guitars, the rest of the kit, everything.

ROOM: Ideally, you want your head to be 8' (7.98' to be exact) from the 11' wall, going down the 21' wall. As it is, you've set up in probably the worst possible spot in the space.

Broadband trapping -- No closed-cell, no mattresses, no carpeting. You're not trying to destroy the ambience - You're trying to control the bulk of the reflected energy (90% of which is in the lows and low midrange). Short of pretty OC703/705 rigid traps, bags of heavy insulation stacked in the corners will work miracles. Leave 'em in the bag and stack 'em up. Roxul Safe and Sound is a favorite.

Once *that* is under control, *then* worry about the toppy stuff. It's amazingly easy to screw that up (just walk into a room covered in foam). It's basically impossible to over-treat the low end.

THAT ALL SAID -- I'm not necessarily hearing the usual earmarks of a crappy room in the mix. Much of the time, that's luck ("playing it safe" - using samples that were recorded in spaces without such issues, etc., etc., etc.). But sooner or later, that luck runs out.