I Need New Mixing Headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Frogfur, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I wear hearing aids and need open back phones. I'm looking at AKG K702s. They say they have a near linear response. Anyone have any experience with these ?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Static

Static Senior Member

My recommendation:

After years of looking and buying the wrong headphones at the studio where I do session work we settled on Sennheiser HD 600 Open Back headphones for mixing. The main reason -besides that they sound fantastic- is comfort. You can spend hours mixing and believe it or not you don't want discomfort interfering.

They've been out for 18 years unchanged and they still sell (around $300). People will claim that they have that Sennheiser color, but then all headphones color the music to some degree. There are very high end headphones in the $1000s and even up line Sennheisers, but these mid-range beauties stand the test of time.

Obviously if you can you should use quality monitors for mixing, but you will always need reference headphones the HD 600s will not disappoint.

3. John Ucol

John Ucol Senior Member

I've been using Beyerdynamic DT-880's, which have been serving me well. That being said, I've heard nothing but good words for the Sennheiser open backs like the aforementioned, too.