I need help fixing a bathroom door...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by PeteK, Jan 18, 2019.

1. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

So we have a bathroom door that doesn't like to latch in the winter. I tried putting longer screws in the top hinge, and loosening the bottom one, but that didn't work. Well then in my infinite wisdom, I thought I would just lower the latch hole on the jamb. To do that, I had to move the screw holes down, but since I'm only moving it a smidge, I figured I'd drill out the old holes and hammer in some dowels. While doing that, the top hole just crumbled into the latch hole to where I now have 1 big hole. I don't know if that makes sense, I'll add a pic of it. But I'm wondering, how does one go about fixing this mess up? Do I need a whole new door jamb?

Who likes this.
  2. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

3. Fracture

Fracture Senior Member

slam a dowel into that and rescrew

electric head and Who like this.
  4. dave b

dave b Senior Member

Tsk, tsk. Should have got out the Dremel and enlarged the hole a smidge up or down as req'd. Too late now, but still, you're welcome.:thumb:

Brians Evil Twin likes this.
  5. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

If you do slam your dowel in the hole, coat it good with real wood glue. However, there may be an expansion of wood into the striker hole that may need to be addressed after the glue cures.

Now about why.... Does the tongue of the striker go lower than the opening of the striker plate or above? It only takes a millimeter to not work. If it's fine above and below, the tongue is not making it deep enough to go in the hole from front to back and the mortise for the striker plate needs to be an 1/8" set deeper into the jam.

Or invite your wife's hot friends over and just happen to stroll by when the op arises!

Who likes this.
  6. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

I go through the same, annually having to adjust doors. To really fix it, rehang the jamb. A dowel is gonna suck screwing into end grain. You could also route out the section and glue a new one in. Drill a few holes and reattach the plate. Stronger than new. :thumb:

electric head and Sct13 like this.
  7. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

I enlarged the hole with a chisel. But the plate needs to move down

8. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

15477793613825355503152370300095.jpg It's off by a fair amount

jvin248 and Who like this.
  9. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

So to pull that striker tongue up higher to enter the hole inline, you can try taking the three screws going into the jam in the upper hinge out and using longer screws that will reach the jack stud and pull the hinge in. An 1/8" deeper will pull the tongue up.

Brians Evil Twin likes this.
  10. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

That'd be my first approach.

KP11520 likes this.
  11. Bigfoot410

Bigfoot410 Premium Member

Drill a new hole in the striker plate beside the old hole. Fresh wood under there. :)

12. dave b

dave b Senior Member

I meant enlarge the hole in the plate.
    Either way, just a door, not rocket science. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Edit: Just saw the picture of the striker plate. You haven't got much room between the hole and the mounting screw, so just forget I said anything and call a carpenter:D:yesway:. (As a carpenter, I make a great mechanic)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  13. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

I did that. The original screws were 5/8". I put 1 1/4". I don't think it reached the stud though. Maybe I'll try 2"

14. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

I had to replace a section (about 6") of wood to fix a door with a similar problem.

I cut away three inches from the top and three inches from the bottom, and put a new piece of wood in, recut the jamb....Looks like shit, but if I spent more time I could have done a nice job on it.....its in an inconspicuous spot anyway.

You might need to rehang the door jamb as earlier stated....I will have to eventually as well.

15. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

IMG_20190117_195549.jpg I think this will work. Dowel and a few toothpicks. When the glue dries, I'll put the plate back on and try to shim the bottom hinge before I try moving this plate again. Thanks for the advice guys.

electric head, bungle and Sct13 like this.
  16. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

I could fix that for you but I'm really far away.
    But you're an OK guy Pete and you got a young one at home
    so I'll just take the plane and go fix it for you.
    Of course, I have to earn a living (wife, two kids, you know...)
    so I'll have to charge you...

[​IMG]

electric head and PeteK like this.
  17. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Rather than pull the top hinge in via brute force with long screws, I'd get out a chisel and cut the hinge mortise deeper on the top hinge, and shim the bottom hinge to push that hinge out.

And it looks to me like you've solved your hole problem for the strike plate.

18. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

Yeah I think I solved the strike plate problem but the door still won't latch. I'm going to stick a dime behind the bottom hinge and see if that helps

19. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Before you do that, when the door is closed, do you have a dimes space between the door and the jam on the other side when opening and closing the door? Shim the hinge and the whole door moves the 3/16" inch towards the other side jam.

Unfortunately, you have a cheap builder's prehung door with a flimsy install and I bet they used minimal shims and just pinned the molding in place.

You could mortise out the area for the striker plate to lower/raise it (not sure of the striker plate side or orientation), but you'd then have to fill the mortised area left unfilled. Hopefully the jam is painted so you can hide the boo boo.

Jam is 5/8 to 3/4 and who knows how much space behind the jam to the jack stud. 2" to 2.5" will get it done.

I'm guessing your wife's hot friends is not an option?

Who and PeteK like this.
  20. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

I hope you used Honduran Mahogany or at least Hard Rock Maple for the dowel and tooth picks.... This is a guitar site ya know?

PeteK, larryguitar, Ed B and 3 others like this.