I need help finding a guitar

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Colton Schaible, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Colton Schaible

Colton Schaible Junior Member

I have found a 2003 epiphone les Paul standard I am very interested in but not sure if I should buy it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about how well they play and if the pickups that came with the guitar are fine to just leave alone

2. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Member

Never had an LP Standard, but always reading good reports of the earlier Korean ones (which I believe a 2003 would probably be?)

I'd say the golden rule would be play it first if you can, there will be good and bad from all makes, and if you plug one in and it 'feels' right, pay the money and take her home :)

As for pickups, they are very personal - I've liked the standard pickups in all the Epiphone guitars I've owned so far, from a single Epi P90 to a pair of Gibson 57's (LP Tribute+, not Epi I know, but they did come as standard!) and all points in between.

If you're happy with the sound of them through your amp, why change them? Play them a while and see how you get on, and I'd say don't be afraid to try lots of amp settings until you find the sweetspot - that goes for the pickup height too, worth spending some time on a good setup and tone session before you part with more cash for new pickups :thumb:

Bob

3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

2003, the pickups are going to likely be at best okay/meh models, the old Alnico Classics, but could be the ones formerly nicknamed "Mudbuckers".

4. GRASS

GRASS Senior Member

2003 was a very bad year for the epiphone les Paul standard.

5. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Member

Of course, we're presuming that they haven't been changed by a previous owner...?

Fair point cybermgk - but still stand by my 'check em out first' policy... but yep, if they are 'mudbuckers' then by all means whip em out and pop something in that tickles your fancy... :p

Wait, that sounds wrong - oh, you know what I mean ;)

6. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Why?

7. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

How much of the 10.000 or more they've made is your opinion based on

straybeat likes this.