I might finally have found my vintage Jr...a couple questions.

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by capnjim, Dec 20, 2017.

1. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

So I might finally have found my Jr! I'm in Canada, and can't buy from the US due to our awful dollar and the CITES thing. There is one a couple hours away. Of course, nothing is simple, its never straighforward. I'm hoping you guys can help out.
    The seller bought it in 1965 and said the frets were bad. he said the frets were re-done then and are still good.
    Here's the tricky part. It has no serial number or "Les Paul Junior" on the headstock. It does have a stamp on the top of the headstock. it sure looks good, old weathered finish, etc...
    So...has anyone heard of a '55 Jr without a logo or serial number?
    This is a huge purchase for me, and I am very nervous about spending this much on a guitar.
    I don't make much, and I have a deal with my wife that I can only spend on guitars what I sell. i will sell a bunch of guitars and amps to pay for it.
    Am I nuts????
    Cheers

aajrlogo.JPG aajrpots.JPG aajrstamp.JPG aajrbody.JPG

2. lewis_grey

lewis_grey Senior Member

Well it looks ok to me, the bridge might not be original but the guitar itself looks right. The Les Paul Jr silk screen can easily rub off/get worn away so that’s not uncommon but the serial number and stamp thing is odd. I’m sure someone with more knowledge than I will chime in on that one, hope it works out!

3. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

It is odd....the Les Paul Jr was never there. Neither was the serial number. I'm thinking it might have been a re-neck at some point early on.

4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Those were ink stamped SN#s..so COULD have a refin/re-spray in it's past.

5. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

Thanks Kris....
    The seller did say it was "redone" in the 60's. He bought it in 1965 and said it came like that.
    Have you ever seen that little stamp on top of the headstock?

Kris Ford likes this.
  6. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Hey CapnJim!

I saw this one on Kijiji a couple days ago and thought you might be after this one :dude::hmm:
    I'm still on the hunt for my Junior but think I will be bringing it in from the US. I've learn't a heck of a lot about what to look for and will offer any advice and opinions I can.

Here's a few things I notice, the nut does not look original, I'm pretty sure it should be Nylon in 55 but could be wrong.. Some people claim the Bumble Bee Cap came out in 55 on rare occasions but a 55 would more likely have a Grey tiger but it still "could" be legit for the guitar. The ground wire (Yellow) should be bare from the factory and it looks like there's new solder on the volume pot too. We would need more of a close up of the cavity to tell which solder looks original. Also looks like there was post lean issues that have been touched up on the treble bridge post. I'd look into it and see if there were ever some new 1 inch post bushings installed to correct the issue properly. The headstock has what appears to be a large crack across the bass side tuners which would have to be stabilized. Also, I'd ask for pics of the underside of the P90 to make sure it's period correct, since the volume pot solder looks new and the ground wire has been modified there may have been pickup work at some point.

He's asking $7k Canadian which I feel is a little steep for the condition of the guitar, especially with the issues you brought up about the serial #, refret and possible reneck. I was originally thinking 6k CAD would have been a decent deal but I'd be more inclined to say 5.5K CAD with the neck issues would be a fair price if it plays and sounds like a Junior should :naughty:

Keep us posted on any new info you obtain! And a video would be sweet if you do pick it up! GLWP!

7. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Let me do some digging..I wanna say I have..

scott1970 likes this.
  8. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

Thanks..so it looks like a headstock re-fin, and possibly some wiring done.

9. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Gretsch did that in the '60s, but I've never seen it on a Gibson. Can you make out what it says? If it was refinished in the '60s and they went to the trouble to stamp it like that, you would think the number would have some meaning (like the original serial number), but I'm not seeing a full Gibson serial number. Looks like 5 676 to me. Maybe the original number was 5 0676 and they just thought they zero was superfluous? Sorry, basically thinking out loud.

yamariv likes this.
  10. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

Its definitely a G76. Can't imagine what that stands for.

11. jojosoda

jojosoda Senior Member

I had a 1957 Gibson J185 that had the same stamp on top of the headstock. That stamp was embossed to denote a factory repair.

yamariv likes this.
  12. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

The same style stamp with different #'s or that exact stamp?

13. Britbender

Britbender Senior Member

Have seen same stamp (different number) before, on the other forum...
    I dont think any answer was given to why its there though.

Don't think this is a reneck, looks good, maybe too much money for what it is

14. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

Too much money for what it is.

BSeneca likes this.
  15. jojosoda

jojosoda Senior Member

Same stamp , different numbers. It’s a factory repair number.
    Cool guitar but I’ll agree with the others about the price. Have him come down some in $$

yamariv likes this.
  16. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

OP, any updates?? :Ohno:

17. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

Not really. I decided to pass. 5k is a huge amount for me to spend on a guitar that has a few issues. I'll wait for one with original finish with a busted headstock or swapped electronics. I'm not too fussy, but I want that aged finish and I guess that goes for the logo as well.
    Thanks all for the advice.

yamariv likes this.
  18. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Sending you a PM with another Junior I know of with a repaired headstock crack, beautiful original 56, he may still have it..

19. BSeneca

BSeneca Senior Member

I don't know what the Canadian dollar translates to US, but I bought a 54 refin. Everything else original for $3200. Now it didn't have the gator case but had a much better 70's Deluxw case. But that's an improvement in my book.

yamariv likes this.