I Made An Analog Multi-Effect Thing [Video Inside]

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by dffdff, Sep 28, 2017.

1. dffdff

dffdff Senior Member

I’m pretty sure this insanity puts me on the “Tonefreak” category, especially the last 3 years of it.

(FEEL FREE TO SKIP RIGHT AHEAD TO THE FUN PART)

Here' a short chronology of how I got to this point:

- Started playing guitar as a kid.

- Heard the live version of Brighton Rock and immediately knew I wanted to make a delay effect by combining two cassette recorders, but I was 12 and I didn’t even have an amp or any of the tools required for the job, so that project was put on hold.

- Then came high-school, alcohol and a Zoom 606, which combined made me feel I was the best guitarist ever and that volume knobs were a long on/off kind of switch that served no purpose other than getting rid of hum and feedback in-between songs.

- Started studying electronics after high-school.

- Got sick of my old Zoom 606 digital multi-effects thing.

- Started making my own pedals.

- Had an epiphany in the shower, where half my ideas are born.

- Graduated as an Electronics Engineer in the coolest way I could have ever thought of: playing my dream guitar (a Les Paul) in front of the teachers, as a presentation of my thesis titled “Analog Multi-Effects Processor”. (Alright, I’ll admit it would have been even cooler if it somehow involved a jetpack).

- After over a year of laziness, I finally got around to recording a short demo to share with the psychos that steered me in the right direction when looking for said “dream guitar”, which you can hear on the video.

- The fun part:

- Bonus to the story: my girl had this lovely thing waiting for me at home as a graduation present. It was her birthday that day. Needless to say, she out-did me by a long shot on the gift department. Every now and then I think of the face she would have put if I fucked up the presentation and didn’t graduate.

[​IMG]

- Epilogue: the delay (BBD delay, ditched the tape idea a long time ago) is still on the making. I couldn’t get the modulation right and got bored. I’ll go back to it someday.

Attached Files:

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Bravo!:applause:
    [​IMG]
    When does it go up for sale??:drool:

dffdff likes this.
  3. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Nice.

People used to experiment with all manner of stuff.

Now, everyone seems to act like all the effects have been invented.

It's nice to someone making something new.

Your girlfriend sounds like a thoughtful sweetheart.

DarrellV and dffdff like this.
  4. dffdff

dffdff Senior Member

Thanks man. I kinda wish I knew.

I live in Uruguay, so I gotta import everything but customs laws here are a bitch. There's a yearly limit of 3 abroad purchases with a 200 bucks cap. After that, you pay taxes through the roof, big time.

Also, this thing took a while to do by hand, and I don't have the tools required to make them in big numbers, so I'm trying to figure out what to do with it from now. I'm going to show it around regardless and see what comes of it, but I wanted to show it here first since I've learned so much from MLP and I rarely ever have something of my own to give back.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Cheers!

DarrellV and Who like this.
  5. dffdff

dffdff Senior Member

Thanks!

Yeah, she's awesome. Still, the evil child in me wishes to go back and fail on purpose, only to see what her face would have been like. Sometimes curiosity takes the best of me. It may make me create weird things like this... device, or it may lead me into being an asshole for no apparent reason, haha.

Who likes this.
  6. tzd

tzd Senior Member

7. DarrellV

You'll fit right in here, let me tell ya!:lol:

dffdff likes this.
  8. dffdff

dffdff Senior Member

That's one fine sounding piece of pedal wizardry I had not seen. I'd definitely like to try one, I could miss out on a whole weekend fumbling with that thing.

Now please don't take this the wrong way, because I have an incredible respect for Keeley (who was slinging solder and making electronic magic before I even owned my first amp) and for all the other geniuses that paved the road for me to be able to just go and make pretty much any pedal I want at home. Those are the guys that shaped some of the sounds and gadgets we love and try to imitate.

That said, the idea behind this thing I made is that, if I can somehow get my hands on that thing's schematic, or have some time alone studying its guts, I can put it into my box and it'd only take up one of the 12 slots. Then, using the memory storage, I'd have 250 different settings for it if I want to.

I can put virtually any pedal in existence in there. All I need is to get my filthy paws on the schematics and some components, and unless there's some strange physical limitation or it requires a very atypical voltage or current, all it takes is to solder the circuit and adjust the program to load the new variables for it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    DarrellV likes this.
  9. Viktor_Audio

Viktor_Audio Junior Member

super sound!.. I also want such a gift .. can and from the girl ..)

dffdff likes this.
  10. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Man, that's just awesome!

dffdff likes this.
  11. dffdff

dffdff Senior Member

Thanks man! Glad to hear that. And even though I know it could have been mic'd more "professionally", I just like the in-the-room vibe.

And yeah, it's a great gift indeed (those TV Jones are truly spectacular). I'm such a distracted jackass that she just "hid" it in a wardrobe we BOTH use for at least two weeks. Never even suspected a thing, haha.

Viktor_Audio likes this.
  12. dffdff

dffdff Senior Member

Thanks, really appreciate it. To be honest, a couple times throughout the process I had trouble believing such a ridiculous idea would actually work as well as it does, until it was done and plugged in. I mean, the theory said yes but I don't know...

Needless to say, I made a couple extra toasts afterwards... for science. Hmmm, yeah... science needs to be celebrated!

DarrellV likes this.
  13. DarrellV

Can you put an expansion bus into it so any future pedals you can get your grubbies on can be built out of the box and then just plugged into the main thing?

14. dffdff

dffdff Senior Member

There's 12 slots in there, but currently only 2 are in use: a Guv'nor/Crunch Box thing and a Phase 90 on acid. I made it in such way that I can put in whatever circuit I want, unless there's a very specific and unlikely specification (like it can't fit in the box or consumes like an amp or something weird). All I have to do additionally is to tweak the program when I first design the circuit so the variables match.

For example, currently I'm planning on finishing the PCB drawing for a germanium fuzz, a sort of CE-2 on steroids I came up with, a tremolo that is a mix a several circuits plus some of my own design, a clean boost that is pretty much an RC booster, a tube screamer type of OD with 3-band EQ and bass pre-bost, and maybe a couple other pedals.

All of those will be copies of actual physical pedals I already built in traditional form. If I ever get tired of any of those, I'll replace them with anything else I either design or copy. Add to that the 2 loops on the back and the eventually-to-be-implemented expression pedal, and the possibilities are pretty much endless.

Still, I could eventually make an even bigger version if I happen to need more than 12 effects, but since I can re-program the same effect for different uses, I doubt I'll ever need that many.

DarrellV likes this.
  15. DarrellV

:drool:
    [​IMG]

dffdff likes this.
  16. dffdff

dffdff Senior Member

Dude, I'd make another one right now if I could. I'd actually take some my time to polish a couple things, now that I'm not working against the clock, since this is just a prototype after all (and a giggable one at that, but still a prototype). Believe me I'd love to make them by the hundreds.

The thing is where I live, it's almost impossible for me to buy all the components again in a brief period of time because of customs laws, and even then I'd pay so much import tax it's not even funny. Also, it weighs around 9 pounds, so shipping is another concern.

So for now, I'm doing other things while I figure out how to deal with building more in the future, maybe even sell them eventually.

DarrellV likes this.