I know, but..

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Bobby_Lee, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Bobby_Lee

Bobby_Lee V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Now I know this is pretty much a forum on pickups and tone. This question is for the all knowing (mostly:shock:) pickup gurus. I did ask this in another but about pickup rings.........Here's the question.....
    Do all Gibson Les Pauls, from the factory have flat bottom pickup rings? Any package I have seen of Gibson Pure replacement rings are flat. Is this right or does Gibson Pure also have the curved bottoms as well? I realize that this isn't important to most of you, but There are different heights between aftermarket curved and Gibson Pure flat and this may affect some with my "screwless pickguards............Ah crap, I'm readin' this back to myself....sheesh it hardly makes sense to me.:confused:
    . If I'm just bein' dumb:wtf:.............

2. badhabit

badhabit Senior Member

The Gibson Historic rings are flat on the bottom and top because vintage and historic reissues have a flatter top carve. Newer Les Pauls have a curved top carve on the top of the body and need a curve on the bottom of the ring.
    Historic rings are taller and look better IMHO. I have put Historic rings on a new Les Paul, just takes some careful filing and sanding to shape the bottom of the ring. Hope this helps.

3. Bobby_Lee

Hiya badhabit,
    Thanks for wading into this :shock: K' here's the dilemma. Let's take my '05 Faded Standard for instance. If I remove the neck side pup ring it, in fact, appears to be curved. Now, take my '01 Ebony Standard, remove the neck side pup ring and it also appears curved. This seems to be in keeping with what you said. But,if I measure the height of the pup ring at the closest to the neck side, the ring on the Ebony is taller. Ok, for arguments sake, let's say someone changed them out to Historic/Vintage (taller) at some point and made them work. Now let's take the Gibson Pure pickup ring that is most definately flat and measure that at the closest to the neck point. (Being this is flat it should be a vintage or historic and taller than the curved pup rings on the newer L.P.'s according to what your telling me) But this measures the same size as my neck side pup ring on my '05 Faded Standard, that I know no one has changed the rings on. This is why I'm having all this confusion.:confused: If you're still following me, do you know why this might be? Hey thanks regardless:) And peace,
    Bobby Lee

4. badhabit

badhabit Senior Member

uhhh.... I have headache:eek2:

5. Bobby_Lee

:Ohno:
    Yea, me too.....
    But thanks again anyway:)