I have an FRFR question.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by alstev, Aug 10, 2017.

1. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I'm getting a Kemper right away, I decided I'm getting the powerhead since I have a Fender open back 2x12 loaded with V30's. I know that won't be ideal but I'm mostly going to be using headphones until I move anyways. Anyhow here's my question, I've been reading a lot of these threads and the Xitone FRFR cabs seem to be highly recommended , the speakers in those cabs are Eminence Beta 12CX's , and those speakers are cheap. If I order a pair and swap them out with the Vintage 30's in my 2x12 will I have a decent FRFRcab?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

No you would not. Do not confuse the cost of a speaker with the overall tonal quality of the cabinet. The frequency response of the XiTone cabinet is as flat as the Atomic CLR and in many cases users, including me, that have had both the XiTone and The Atomic CLR ended up selling the Atomic. When you buy a Xitone you are buying a complete system and not just one speaker.

In addition to that, your V30s are not coaxial in nature and would not perform nearly as well as the speaker inside the XiTone.

Rhust and alstev like this.
  3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

As Frank says, the cabinet on a Xitone, or Atomic is also designed as part of the full FRFR 'system'. He's 120% correct.

That said, getting a Xitone, Atomic, even some of the other options can be expensive. I get it. Your idea of temporarily putting a flat speaker like the 12CX's is not a bad idea until you can buy a complete solution. The open back may be the worst aspect. With the V30s, that might be a good thing. But with a FRFR speaker in there, the loss of bass from it, may not sound good.

You might also consider a pair of studio Monitors. I KNOW JBL LSR308s (and even the 5" 305s) work and play excellently with the Kemper, from experience. They have a nice wide field, and are reasonably priced. Pair of 5" would cost twice as much as the 12CXs. One LSR8 will be 2/3 more than a pair of 12CXs.

Look used too.

But, try the V30s first. Remember to turn the CAB portion off on the rig(s).

frankv and alstev like this.
  4. alstev

alstev Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys, I'll scratch that plan. I was actually looking at the speaker swap because I didn't think Xitone would ship to Canada, but I emailed them and they do. I just got back from the music store, I traded in a Mesa combo towards a Kemper Powerhead, they're ordering one in for me, I'll order a Xitone as soon as I got the funds. Thanks again both of you for all the good info you've posted on this forum, you made this decision really easy for me. I can't wait until it gets here.

frankv likes this.
  5. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

You might try it through a decent passive PA speaker while waiting for your bank account to recover enough to buy the Xitone.

That way you can explore all the options the Kemper provides including cabs.

alstev and Rhust like this.
  6. alstev

alstev Senior Member

Has anyone tried the Mission Engineering cabs? They have a 2x12 made to match up with the Kemper that I really like the looks of, it looks deadly in green.

7. Progear

Progear Premium Member

I have the single 12" passive model and love it with my Kemper...

8. Tiboy

Tiboy Senior Member

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, it's not a true FRFR Cab.

9. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

10. Tiboy

Tiboy Senior Member

That's not the one I was thinking about. I was thinking of the green 212 that looks like a smaller version of a 412.

11. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I was just online, and there's a pair of vintage Peavey passive Speakers for sale locally pretty cheap. They've got 15" Black Widows, and going by the picture it looks like they have two different horns, I can't test them since I don't have my amp yet but I'm just wondering if these could sound good with the Kemper. I dig how they look, and the price is definitely all right.

12. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

I don;t think many folks run 15" PA speakers with their modelers. You just don't need the extra bass response for guitar and most going to modeling, enjoy the reduction in heavy gear they have to lug so look for lighter options. I have 2 12"s for PA and a 10 for my personal monitor. Very happy with the the Alto 10".

13. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Black Widows are not FRFR. PA speakers that aren't are generally designed for Public Annoucement, aka PA, and will be more for voice. You would be better through a guitar cab actually, imho.

14. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

15. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

I run a 15" Fearless FRFR with mine though! Totally unnecessary really, but it gives you the feel of a 4x12 or 2 on the back of the legs, while projecting to an audience without sending the treble out on a narrow beam. A bit bigger and heavier than a 12", and I would be really surprised if it sounds much different from a good 12" FRFR for guitar. I thought I might need the extra power handling when I chose it, but was being pessimistic.

Liam

mdubya likes this.
  16. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I was kind of thinking they'd have that oomph, he sent me more pics, and I was able to read up on them, they've got a 3way crossover with a horn for the mids, and one for the highs, they also have an input labeled full range, I think I might get them they're dirt cheap and I can always sell them if I don't like them.

17. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

To be honest with you, I didn't know there was a difference.

18. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Well a speaker can reproduce a wide spectrum of frequencies from low bass rumble to ear splitting highs, but it may not necessarily reproduce all of those frequencies equally, or have a flat response.

AmpedUp likes this.
  19. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

What "Fearless" FRFR is this? I have a fEARless F115, but it's a custom-built cabinet that runs about $1100 (a bit more with options). Mine has an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF, a Faital 5" mids (I think) and a 1" tweeter. These are designed by Dave Green and are part of the greenboy series of cabinets. They're slot ported with a cut on one corner that allows you to use them as a floor monitor, but mine also have a pole-mount "top hat" that allows me to use them on a pole like a PA main.
    They'll handle around 800-900W, and while they're originally designed as bass cabs, they're flat-response full range setups.

Liam likes this.
  20. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

That's the one, F115. Mine is incredibly similar to yours, same speakers, and including top hat for mounting on a pole (never have though). Mine was built here in the UK by Tricky Audio, and is an awesome piece of kit. Mine was very similar in price to yours, just over $1000.

Liam