I have a '58 True Historic for a while now and I have to say..

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by bosnialove, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frozenotter

frozenotter Premium Member Premium Member

That guitar is out of this world gorgeous. Fock the details. :drool:

Really: It is too bad that most of us will never know tone though since they have not release genuine strings from the '50's. I heard there was something that rubbed against them in the paper packaging of the time that was responsible for most of the '50's tone. They are working with the elite Plastic Engineers to reproduce this long lost paper in hopes to give future generations a taste of real guitar tone. I hear it's still quite a few years away though.

:p

2. mrfett

mrfett HJ Lover Premium Member

This is the project Edwin was working on before they fired him. Have you gotten confirmation this is still being developed? I think the issue was that the company that was making the sleeves for the strings was importing the paper and the trees that the pulp came from are restricted now.

Wouldn't surprise me if Henry is going to try and cut corners by just going with some sort of "String VOS" goop that is supposed to replicate the effects of that original paper...

bulletproof and frozenotter like this.
  3. bosnialove

bosnialove Senior Member

That is interesting, because how come Bursts that are being played nowadays sound just like a Burst should sound, even with (I am assuming) new strings on it?

I find it hard to believe that all the Bursts nowadays still have the old strings on them which came out of the factory like that.

bulletproof and mrfett like this.
  4. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

well actually there is a lot more to these plastics than meets the eye, there is a wealth of info on the development of these plastics (most of it in the form of direct interviews with Edwin Wilson) available on the Internet. Just Google away .. I'm quite pleased with the my TH plastics but sometimes the Gibson repro stuff is hit and miss... I quote... " for the True Historic Series, producing precise replicas extends even to the chemical composition of plastics and metals. The Custom Shop's approach to replicating metal and plastic parts began with the reproduction of a stopbar tailpiece. In addition to implementing a 3-D scan in order to precise duplicate the shape, the Custom Shop began applying the same meticulous process to the plastic parts." the biggest beef I had with my TH was the tailpiece, compared alongside the DMC Ver. 2 it wasn't even close, the TH tailpiece was way off IMHO ..... but I do love the plastics ..

bulletproof and SomethingElse like this.
  5. mrfett

mrfett HJ Lover Premium Member

I think most burst owners are using Throbak strings. John went to Cuba himself and had a bunch of sleeves made from the exact same species of wood. Apparently he had to have it shipped to Mexico before importing the finished goods here, that's why they cost $50/pack.

Crazy how easy it is to make this shit up and have it sound completely legit. Could that mean all this obsession over the minutiae of these instruments is bordering on the ludicrous? Nah... :welcome:

6. bosnialove

bosnialove Senior Member

Couldn't resist to bite and play along. :rofl:

bulletproof and mrfett like this.
  7. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Beautiful guitar!

Is Meguiar's Swirl Remover available where you are? I have a couple of recent VOS finished guitars and I am not impressed with the current treatment. I have used Meguiar's to clean them up without doing anything more to the finish. It sucks to have to do that to a new guitar, but it removes the "haze" from the finish.

bulletproof, mrfett and Pappy58 like this.
  8. jktxs

jktxs Senior Member

Didn't the early TH run have bigger necks? The 2018s have the carmelita neck carve and are generally fast feeling.

Pappy58 and bulletproof like this.
  9. bosnialove

bosnialove Senior Member

Thanks for the advice, but making the current guitar glossy is not an option, because I am planning to sell it soon. I like the guitar, but I don't like plain or flame tops on guitars that are finished in more colours. I only like solid black guitars, like the Black Beauty Historic, Goldtop like the '57 Goldtop ofcourse and one colour only flame top or plain tops, for example a full sweet cherry finished Historic with sweet cherry top and red back.

bulletproof and mdubya like this.
  10. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

The finish will harden over time. Sunlight will harden it much faster if you aren't worried about fading.

When I first got my 2015 TH58, the finish was so soft the dye bled through on my hands and shirts. It went away with time but when I started to expose the guitar to sunlight to fade the Vintage Cherryburst I noticed the finish got very hard and glossy as well as fading the the burst.

bulletproof likes this.
  11. crosstownblues

crosstownblues Wraptail Fan Premium Member

And soap...

bulletproof likes this.
  12. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

No modern polymer science yet in '58. So plastic was just plastic, hence "true historic."
    Sometimes progress is better, even as it concerns Les Pauls.
    Anyway, nice guitar!

bulletproof likes this.
  13. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

Ill buy it only if its been used in a "smoke free studio". :fingersx:

bulletproof likes this.
  14. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Beautiful guitar,brother!

lakeburst and bosnialove like this.
  15. bosnialove

bosnialove Senior Member

Here is another one that I made a few weeks ago.

Because, hell why not.

The top looks slightly darker in real life with more flame and streaks noticible. Just like this picture:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Oldskoolrob, blix, mrfett and 3 others like this.
  16. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

I played my inaccurate 2008 r8 last night on stage in front of a couple hundred people. I was shocked not one of them commented on how awful the plastics look.

17. RangerJay

RangerJay Glam Bastard Premium Member

Plastics aside, the Historic line has produced some fine wood the past few years. The latest crop is no exception. Maybe pricey, but the quality has been rather remarkable. Consistent as well.

Nothing to fix in that division. Just my take on it...

mrfett likes this.
  18. bosnialove

bosnialove Senior Member

Yes, true, altough my guitar has a severe case of colour bleed into the fretboard binding.

It would be nicer if there was no color bleed, however, it does actually look a little bit cool. So I dont mind it that much.

mrfett likes this.
  19. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Played a last minute gig last night from 10-1. Once again, no one commented on the inaccurate plastics.

Probably distracted by our terrible playing :laugh2:

20. djsuckapunch

djsuckapunch Senior Member

They were more likely to have been distracted by the horrendous tonez being it wasn’t assembled using hide glue.

Blue Blood, mrfett and FennRx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.