I guess I may be an Amp Cork Sniffer but Solid State amps sound Horrible to me...

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by yamariv, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

I used to have solid state and/or Modeling Amps in the past but when I got my first Tube Amp 3years ago it was game over for the solid state. I'm super lucky to have and be able to afford to play tube amps since. I'm a simple player, usually a nice tube amp with a distortion pedal in front with a bit of reverb and that's it for my sound.

At the last two band practices, I've tried out a solid state amp and a modeling amp provided at my rehearsal space to save my back a bit from lugging my AC30 back and forth. The first week was a well known modeling amp and for the love of me I could not get a decent sound no matter how hard I tried. There were so many settings and effects I just picked a clean and added my Boss DS1 and played although it sounded terrible to my ears.... I thought ok, it was just that amp....Well last night I tried a solid state 212 by one of the major manufacturers and it was the worst distortion I've heard in a long time! I went clean channel again with my Boss DS1 and the distortion came out so FIZZY it was unbearable! I turned the distortion down to a quarter to try to lower the fizz and it was still fizzy.....

Anyway, long story short.... It is going to be totally worth lugging my AC30 to practice each week after my recent experiences with solid state amps.. This just reconfirms that for me at least Tube Amps are the only way to go..

Attached Files:

Nick_M, VictorB, bulletproof and 3 others like this.
  2. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Nope..not the only way to go..

kiko, bulletproof and cybermgk like this.
  3. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

What, are you him? He said:

Seems like a pretty clear statement of his opinion there, or are you saying that his opinion about his own experience is wrong?

4. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

But.... haven't you heard...... their days are numbered? :rofl:

Can we really trust someone who uses a Boss DS1, and then blames the amp? :hmm:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Syrus, ZenAndZen, Rhust and 10 others like this.
  5. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

My first experience with an AC30 was life changing.

yamariv and Who like this.
  6. Who

I may be a heretic, but if you must have a SS amp (non-modelling)......

Peavey Bandit TransTube (silver stripe)

7. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Be real curious what, non named modeler/ss amps he is referring to. Odd he doesn't mention them.

Oddly enough, I, personally can't stand the tone of an AC30.

8. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Rhust, Dick Banks, lakeburst and 8 others like this.
  9. Marshall & Moonshine

I can't stand the AC's either. I know they're classics, blah blah blah. All the artists who used them to make all those classic songs would have sounded better on a Marshall, imo. :D

bulletproof, jdto, cybermgk and 2 others like this.
  10. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

Two amps is not enough to write off using non-tube amps. There's a lot of great choices out there in the new and used markets. And with the new breed of Marshall (or whatever amp)-in-a-box pedals that are now available, it's completely do-able. Hell, there's a ton of touring pros that play big stages with just pedals and a Quilter PowerBlock...no tubes in sight.

11. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I've been around tube amps since I was 13. I'm waiting for the next new thing.
    Give me a cherry Standel amp, I'll play the piss out of that right along side the deluxe reverb, the Super Reverb, the Fender champ, oh!..and the CeriaTone 18 watt. Modelers look fun too but as for front line amps, what's next ?

Your a day late and a dollar short for the days of good solid state amps.

bulletproof likes this.
  12. Marshall & Moonshine

I've got an old Fender Champion 110 that's a SS amp from the 90s. It's really not that bad! It's got an actual tank in it, too. The gain channel is ok if you REALLY keep the gain down to edge of breakup or just a RCH past it.

Frogfur and bulletproof like this.
  13. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Im a 'tube' (we call them valves over here) guy although my go to amp is a Musicman 65RP which has a SS pre-amp and tube power amp.
    Have you tried a Sessionette 75 SS amp? They give tube amps a run for the money.

Frogfur and bulletproof like this.
  14. Who

Solid State amps suck.

When this man can have whatever amp he wants.... he chose a Norlin. Solid State.

[​IMG]

pillbug, Rhust, Frogfur and 2 others like this.
  15. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Wow, that was a lot of replies real quick! Lol. I didn't mean to start a back and forth post at all really, just was kinda shocked at the huge difference I noticed with these two amps when coming from Tube Amps. Anyone else share my night and day tone opinion? The first Modeling Amp was a VOX VT series if I remember correctly.. I actually used to own one before switching to my first Tube Amp. It could have been user error with that VOX cause I find it very complicated to use but I couldn't get anything clean and crisp sounding out of it. The second amp was a Fender 212 of some kind, can't remember the exact model.

For those saying they don't like the Tone of the AC30, yes you may not like the crunch or distortion sound and of course tone is personal but overall a nice clean or crunch or in the case of my Marshall's Distortion, my opinion is that you can't get a bad sound from a Tube Amp. I remember when I had the VOX Modeller, I found it very hard to get a good tone a lot if not most of the time. Then I bought an AC15 and went WOW! I'm sure there are great modellers or solid state that I have not tried but I was just surprised at how bad these two amps sounded to my ears compared to any of my tube amps.

Frogfur, bulletproof and pnuggett like this.
  16. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Yeah I can't stand the DS1 either.

17. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

You should give one a try sometime. They're bad*ss and sound nothing like your typical SS amp. Extremely close to a tube amp, with it's own unique tone.
    [​IMG]

Malikon, Rhust, kiko and 5 others like this.
  18. Marshall & Moonshine

God I loved that man. It makes me happy just seeing his picture.

19. Marshall & Moonshine

It also can depend on what you want. SS does some things better. It has an immediacy that tubes don't. It can be subtle, but that's what we do, right?
    Almost all bass amps are SS, because you can pack 100lbs of wattage in a 5lb sack. They sound amazing.
    For brutality, SS is hard to beat, actually.

Malikon, bulletproof and yamariv like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.