I got some fret buzz (guitars are worse than children)

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by 357mag, Sep 23, 2017.

1. 357mag

357mag Member

I've been hearing some fret buzz most obvious on the treble strings. I never have a problem with the bass strings but the treble strings are trouble-makers. I'm currently using .010's but thinking of switching to .011's.

Since I tune flat plus the fact that Les Pauls have a shorter scale length, plus the fact that I use a heavy pick lead me to believe that I may have a cleaner experience with .011's.

But I'd like you to tell me what your neck relief on your guitar is?

Is it .010? Or more? Or less?

2. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

going to 11s might help, but it would also require a truss rod adjustment, most likely. A slight adjustment of neck relief might be enough to make the 10s work. How long have you had this problem?

3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

For me 010 t's a LOT of relief, but depends on your preference and also how good your fret leveling is.

I usually go from max 004 to min 0016, which is basically dead flat, but this typically require a fret dress.

Of course it also depends on your action target.

4. 357mag

357mag Member

I've had this problem for several weeks now. I've tried adjusting the rod to some effect but I would like more. My fret leveling is very good. That does not need to be changed. My Les Paul I bought used and I love it but has been rather hard to get the neck just the way I want in the treble section.

5. 12Rant

12Rant Member

If your happy with your relief try checking your string height at the first fret, twelfth fret. I even chack Fenders way of putting a capo on the first fret, depress the last fret with your finger and check the string height at the 8th fret with a Gage. This way it eliminates the nut as an the issue. I had the same problem, but with the low End string. All I did was buy a flat feeler Gage and took it apart, cut it to length and use it as shim. You can start low and work your way up. Hope some of this helps.

6. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

Have you checked to make sure the neck hasn't taken a slight twist?

7. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

You need to figure out whats causing it before you can fix it, is it all over the neck or specific frets, have you tried raising the bridge up a t pinch see if that stops it.

JohnnyN likes this.
  8. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Mine is nearly dead straight. Action is 1/16 inch at the 12th fret for both sides. I play really hard, so I can get buzz no matter what gauge I use or how high the action is. As long as it doesn't choke out on bends and it doesn't have any dead spots, I just ignore the buzz.

JohnnyN likes this.
  9. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

I keep my guitar necks almost dead straight too (capo at 1st fret and fretting the 15th the strings are just a thin hair above the 7th and 9th fret. My action is .080" on the high E and .090" on the low E at the 12th fret. I have no buzz using 10s.

10. 357mag

357mag Member

Nut is brand new. No problem there. Actually I'm suspecting now that the buzz that I'm hearing is bad headphones. I've been using the same headphones now for years and years and I think they've been through an awful lot. I just plugged in a brand new pair and although I haven't tried playing some lead on the treble strings yet, this may in fact solve the issue.

11. GRASS

GRASS Senior Member

If YOU'RE happy.

12. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Might be the springs on your bridge.
    Might be lifted frets, Epi's do that.
    My guess is the nut is not as right as you think it is.

13. 357mag

357mag Member

Brought my guitar to my tech. He looked and played and felt. And said he couldn't set it up any better than what it currently is. I asked him how the neck relief looked and he said it's pretty much spot on. I also asked if the frets needed leveling he said nope. In fact he told me I did a good job adjusting the neck.

But he watched me play and he suggested I move to a heavier string and raise the action.

I have piece of mind now knowing that my guitar is in fact set up correctly.

He even suggested learning to fret right behind the fret. Not right in the middle of two frets.

A lot to be said for personal technique I guess.

bungle likes this.
  14. 12Rant

12Rant Member

Why is a senior member chastising on my Grammer? Good bye I don't need this crap.

15. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Lower notes = more string excursion (travel), so a detuned guitar, particularly w/ a short scale length (this is why basses are long scale) well often buzz more, even a lot more, when detuned. Heavier gauge strings should help, as there will be a slight increase in tension, though I'm not sure if going up a single gauge will do enough. In my experience, 10s on a LP feel the same as 9s on a Strat, due to the difference in string length, so in detuning I would consider going w/ 12s. I would disregard measurement, except as a start. Hopefully, you can eliminate most buzz via relief, but you may well need to adjust the saddle and nut as well.

16. 357mag

357mag Member

The problem remains. Very strange. When I fret a note and look at the string and the next higher fret it doesn't even appear to be touching, yet I hear what seems to be fret buzz. Or something anyway. I have eliminated everything in my POD preset except the amp and a screamer. No compressor. No noise gate. No mod effects. I'm concentrating on playing with a much lighter picking touch. This is what I absolutely hate about guitars...that bloody fret buzz which in some cases seems to be next to impossible to eliminate.

I'm using .010's now but I'll try .011's again.

I'm going to pickup a Marshall practice amp also so I have the option of jamming through an amp too.

I may end up buying a new guitar sometime in the future once my credit increases.

17. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

It might not be the next higher fret, but the next lower one, I had that on a bass once where the nut was cut too low. Almost drove me mad trying to find the buzz.
    Check the nut by pressing each string down at the third fret. The string should have very little distance to the first fret now. If it touches the first fret, your nut is cut too low.
    Fill the slot with a little superglue for a temporary fix.

18. ulrik91

ulrik91 Member

Had issues with mine tuning down to eb. Going to .11 fixed everything.

19. GRASS

GRASS Senior Member

Always check your nuts.

rku615 likes this.
  20. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

It's grammar. With an "a" and no capital. Also, you call a small correction chastising ? It's not a personal attack, you know ?