I got my Marshall Code 25 today.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by DavidRamey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

After I didn't hear anything from Marshall, I contacted Zzounds and told them about my problem and that I would prefer to just return the amp since Marshall doesn't show any interest in contacting me. Even if the correct procedure would be to take the problem up with Zzounds, Marshall could have a least told me that. Instead I get a computer e-mail saying that Marshall will get in touch with me very shortly. That was July 6. 12 days later, nothing from Marshall. This is the ****tiest customer service I have had and it is about as bad as Sears & Roebuck customer service. Marshall lost a first time customer.

2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I understand.

I have owned several Marshalls but I have never bought a new Marshall.

Code 25 will probably be my first. But I am in no hurry.

3. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I don't blame you at all.

Wise. In that way, hopefully the inevitable bugs will be worked out (a la Class 5)

4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

And now you have reminded me that I have, indeed, bought a new Marshall, previously. A Class 5 with a Block logo. Beautiful little amp that could have been a real classic. I thought it sounded pretty awful, unfortunately. Sure was pretty though. :thumb:

[​IMG]

5. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I had the same experience and mine was modded by one of the best..

6. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

In my opinion the real point it is not who to talk to now, it's who do you talk to later???
    Right now, the option existed to get help from more than one source.
    Once that initial window closes, your only option is the manufacturer.
    I see it as being lucky to learn the lesson early on while options still existed.

The bad news here is after my recent experience with Korg, don't expect to see any better from Blackstar or Vox.

I was impressed to hear of your experience with fender.

7. cherrysunburst00

An interesting footnote: Korg used to handle distribution of Marshall in the U.S. until what, 2010?

Perhaps in a few years when the bugs are worked out I might be interested again, but the price will probably have gone up by then :cool:

8. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

One month and three days later I finally heard from Marshall. This has to be some of the worst customer service I have ever had. I have returned the amp long ago and Marshall has lost a customer.

9. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Absolutely Ridiculous.

10. cherrysunburst00

Wow. Well, it's their loss (literally).

11. SiLeach66

SiLeach66 Premium Member

My advice is avoid Code.

I had the Code 50 for 2 weeks and I've sold it on.
    It's rubbish, plain and simple.

Marshall should only have ever created the 25, so bedroom players can rehearse with a toy that almost emulates a good Marshall sound.
    Why they ever created the 50, or 100 is beyond me, this amp should never leave the house ! The sounds are digital, and I don't care if Softtube are market leaders and have Marshall's stamp of approval, the sounds are terrible.

I prefer my Line 6 Amplifi. At least that has full range speakers and a proper 'blend' knob so I can jam to backing tracks in style, and in the comfort of my own home I don't care if the Line 6 model of a JCM800 isn't quite as good as the code's version.

The bluetooth never worked properly on the Code and I couldn't download the software to upgrade the firmware, kept getting error messages !
    It shut itself down with no prior warning on at least four occasions and when the noise gate was rolled back (which you have to do to get any decent response from the amp) there was terrible hissing and popping in the background

The sounds in the Code are no better than Line 6, or any other modelling amp to be honest. But as I said, the Line 6 is a much better practice tool.

Don't get me wrong, I love Marshall and my gigging rig is a DSL40CV, but Marshall modelling, no thanks

12. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

For my little low watt amp I use an Ampeg BA110 V1 with a Nanoverb and a Joyo Ultimate Drive and it works great. About $180.00 all in, and not a computer in sight! :thumb::wave:

If you have an iPad (or other i-thing) you can install AmpKit for free which is a great software amp. I use it on my iPod as a backup in case my amp fails at a gig. It sounds remarkably good and stacks up quite well against Guitar Rig and Aplitube.

Good luck and happy playing!

13. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I'm still considering the CODE 50. Love Marshall amps and it would have everything I want. And Android's Bluetooth isn't as finicky. I imagine it's like the Mustang in a way. The factory presets are cheesy and artificial sounding. But I want at the plain amp models. Adjust the effects to my liking.

14. SiLeach66

SiLeach66 Premium Member

I would strongly recommend going to a store and trying it first. The 50 is ridiculously loud and I never had it above 2 at home. It's not a gigging tool, so consider the 25 to get the same tones and save yourself some money.

And for the record, tweaking the factory presets does eliminate some 'cheese', however, you will never get rid of the horrible artificial flavour.
    It may suit you, but for me, yuk !

15. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I am considering the 25, but my instinct is to always go for the 12 inch speaker instead of 10. Is it an FRFR speaker? May not make as much difference, then.

16. frankv

They are not FRFR speakers.

17. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

I have Never agreed with a post as much as the one above!:slash:
    As a sit at home alone practice amp or take to a buds house amp to jam the 25 is a good bargain,but that is all. Some may use one to record tracks? that is a personal preference,i would not.
    Marshall was delusional thinking this could be a touring/live gig amp.
    I dare anyone to trust one on the road or to get through gigs and not only sound good but not have issues...

18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

They will sell the big ones on spec alone. Lots of people buy practice amps that they think they will need someday when they get the call up to play a stadium. :lol:

How many big girls think only a "12 inch" speaker is good enough for them? :naughty:

Not to mention we ALL thought everyone in a 3 block radius needed to hear us when we were 15 and sounded like we were strangling cats.

These days I prefer to keep my cat strangling to myself. :shock:

19. frankv

Most likely the best post you ever wrote... hahahahah

20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

:thumb: