I got my Marshall Code 25 today.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by DavidRamey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

I got my Marshall Code 25 today. The bluetooth is almost worthless. I get it paired to my iPad Air. After I get it connected to my iPad, about 5-10 minutes the amp acts like it "times out" of the bluetooth connection. I made sure that nothing else was connected to my iPad by bluetooth. I started over and the "timing out" happened a second time. So it is a repeatable defect. When I use bluetooth to connect other things to my iPad, they never loose connection until I disconnect it myself. This makes me believe the problem is in either the Code 25 itself or Gateway and not in my iPad Air. I have an Apple Magic Mouse that is connected to my MacBook Pro and the only time it disconnects is when the batteries are low in the Magic Mouse. My MacBook Pro also gets connected to my Harman Kardon receiver by bluetooth. It also never gets disconnected unless I disconnect the bluetooth on my MacBook Pro or turn the Harman Kardon receiver off. My iPhone is connected to my Apple Watch by bluetooth. My Apple Watch keeps track of my pulse rate at all times and sends the info to my iPhone. I never disconnect the bluetooth between my Watch and my iPhone. Because of my heart condition, my life could depend upon it. If I lay my iPhone down and walk out of bluetooth range, my watch will get disconnected from the iPhone. When I walk back into range, the bluetooth automatically reconnects my watch to my phone. I do not have to do anything to get it reconnected. My iPad Air can connect to my AirTurn pedal, my MacBook Pro, my Harman Kardon receiver. The bluetooth connections are rock solid in these connections. This is why I believe the bluetooth problem lies within the Marshall Code or the Gateway App. I do know that I am looking at the bluetooth connection in my iPad and it shows that I am connected to the Code 25, but Gateway shows that the bluetooth is disconnected. For some stupid reason, Marshall has a Windows Firmware Utility to update the firmware of the amp, but they have no Mac Firmware Utility. When I unpacked the amp, I noticed it is about the same size as a Fender 5F1 Tweed Champ. Tomorrow I will see how the amp sounds to me.

I also sent a copy of this to Marshall Support.

kevinpaul and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  2. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I hope it works out for you Brother. I saw one at g.c. this evening, but I didn't have the chance to try it out.

1 person likes this.
  3. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

To be honest, if the Gateway/Bluetooth doesn't workout, it isn't a deal breaker for me. I can still grab a knob and turn it.

2 people like this.
  4. cherrysunburst00

A guy can't get much more open-minded than that

3 people like this.
  5. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

FYI the bluetooth has worked flawlessly on my code 50, never disconnects.

I'm using a samsung tablet/w andriod.

1 person likes this.
  6. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

If it is working good for you, then it probably isn't the Marshall Gateway App that is the problem. That leaves the Bluetooth module in the Code 25 that is probably the cause of the problem.

7. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Mine's not working!!!!!!!
    I'm getting ticked at this thing again.
    First time I tried it, it all worked flawlessly. I really liked it.
    Since then, Gateway won't recognize the amp.
    Blue light on the amp is blinking.
    There's bluetooth info scrolling the screen on the amp.
    Gateway on iphone says ""Make sure amp is on and in range".

I've been having issues with presets too.
    I swear I save em (on the amp, not Gateway), but they're not there when I come back.
    I've been blaming myself. Now, I'm starting to wonder.
    Have done a couple of factory resets on the amp and reinstalled the firmware from my pc.

I don't enjoy these investments of time.
    Some may think it's fun, I'm not one of em.

2 people like this.
  8. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

I still haven't heard back from Marshall support.

2 people like this.
  9. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

I can feel Pop's frustation just by reading his post.

When you purchase a new product, you expect it to work as advertised. Not having to deal with a company's haste to get the product out to an eager market before it has been fully baked, therby imposing upon the consumers a burden of reporting problems.

Sadly in revent years too many companys have released products, enhanced by software, with the software turning out to be less than fully operational, improperly tested, nor thoroughly QC'd. I have no information about what Marshall nor their software Devs may have known about the software's deficiencies or incompatibilities.

Hopefully Marshall gets the software protocol working properly without too much further delay nor frustration.

Ride it Out, or Rescind the Transaction. You can always buy it again once the bugs are resolved. Or, allocate your funds towards another product like the Helix or a Fractal. ;)

4 people like this.
  10. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Did you check the Flux Capacitor?

1 person likes this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I would contact the place of purchase.

Between you and Pop, it sounds like they have a warranty issue.

Good luck.

2 people like this.
  12. cherrysunburst00

Wow, these hassles have pretty well discouraged me from getting a Code.

I just like to plug in and play. Period. Too many other things to get frustrated from with computers.

That said, I also remember there were lots of rattle issues with the first Marshall Class 5's, so I have little doubt that Marshall will eventually get the Code issues resolved.

Me? I'll pass. Don & Soul Tramp, here I come

2 people like this.
  13. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I like your thinking!!!
    I'm not sure Don answers the phone for $199. :laugh2: :laugh2:

3 people like this.
  14. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

I still haven't heard back from Marshall. They must be snowed under with all the warranty claims on the Code 25. This was my first Marshall amp. I may just return it and build me a Tweed Harvard instead.

1 person likes this.
  15. cherrysunburst00

Although I think Don would answer the phone, he wouldn't have to :cool:

I'm very sorry your first Marshall was a bad experience. I have been very pleased with my little JCM1. Still Cool that you can build a Tweed Harvard; if you plan on building one, and are interested in a Marshall, what about a Mojotone Studio 1? I've thought about getting a kit and building it with my Brother

Mojotone Studio One Amplifier Kit

16. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Banned

If your main concern with a guitar amp is its Bluetooth functionality you should put down the guitar and just walk away... This instrument is not for you.

17. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

I already said that the bluetooth isn't a deal breaker, because I can go over to the amp and turn a knob. What is putting my off about the amp is the total lack of response from Marshall.

1 person likes this.
  18. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

That's a load of crap. One of the amp's main selling point is flexibility and manageability. Bluetooth is how that works. The amp is defective, plain and simple.

7 people like this.
  19. cherrysunburst00

That's just mean :(

3 people like this.
  20. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I guess there's two ways to take that statement.
    At face value, I can see it; even though it's wrong.

To me it doesn't take much reading between the lines to interpret it as a slam to any and all of us who enjoy what we can get from a whole list of things now available to us.

What is your opinion of pedals?
    Is there a difference?

2 people like this.