I found the powered speaker for me

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by alstev, Oct 15, 2017.

1. alstev

alstev Senior Member

It looks like a mini 4x12, they'll ship to Canada so I'm pretty stoked to get it, it looks awesome.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GM-Io

mdubya and AmpedUp like this.
  2. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

Of the very short list of frfrs I have heard...Missions are the best. Congrats

mdubya likes this.
  3. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I haven't ordered it yet, I have to wait a couple of weeks, I feel pretty confident buying a Mission, they make the expression pedal that Kemper sells on their website, so the cab should be an excellent match. I really like how it looks like an old school cab too, the thought of playing through a PA speaker didn't really wow me.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  4. rjudo

rjudo Senior Member

That's a nice looking unit. Being Mission, I would imagine it sounds great.

5. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

That looks really nice. I'm building a normal guitar cab just like that, basically a 1x12 mini Marshall 2061CX, but with only smaller and having just a single speaker. Very cool alstev! And powered too!

alstev likes this.
  6. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

The Io is at the top of my list. I only wish that the XLR in also accepted a 1/4" like their other cabs, but it doesn't for some reason. When you get it, please post here how you like it.
    I have a DXR12 which I like a lot, but want to try something a little less flat. Guitar Player did a review of the Io a couple of months ago and liked it.

7. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

"For all the benefits of modeling devices—and I have been an early and fervent adopter—I sometimes struggle with the perception that they just don’t sound like “an amp in the room.” Well, I A/B’ed the full-range GM-Io sound with a powered Kemper driving a 2x12 cab and I was super pleased with how it matched up. Players will split hairs forevermore about these points (as well they should), but the GM-Io absolutely passes my real-world test of “Does it sound like an amp and feel like an amp?” Yes it does, in a beautiful fashion."
    http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/1012/review-mission-engineering-gm-io/62942

drew365 and mdubya like this.
  8. alstev

alstev Senior Member

That review is just what I wanna hear, I'm definitely gonna order one. I hope it ships here no problem. I talked to someone at Mission, and they said they're having problems shipping their amplified cabs to Canada, the guy at Sweetwater said it would be no problem though so we'll see.

dissaffected likes this.
  9. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I'm not sure if I still have that article. I'm wondering if the reviewer used IR's with the Io? It's hard to decipher from the above quote. I'm not looking to give up IR's.

10. Its Luke

Its Luke Premium Member

11. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Have you checked out the Freidman FRFR Cabs too? They have Canadian Dealers but I'm not sure on the $$.
    http://friedmanamplification.com/monitors/asc-12

12. Its Luke

Its Luke Premium Member

The previous ASM12 wedge wasn't very well received and was reported to be noisy.
    The ASC that you just linked weighs 59 lbs....
    Depends on your needs, but i would rather lug 29 lbs around in the 1x12 format of the Mission cabinet.

drew365 and alstev like this.
  13. alstev

alstev Senior Member

The description on Sweetwater's site says there's essentially no coloration from the cabinet.

drew365 likes this.
  14. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Alright.. I just have to say it. XiTone. Reinventing the wheel is not necessary. LOL

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 8:34 PM