I find it hard playing a Strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Tim Plains, Dec 12, 2008.

1. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

Every guitar player needs one of each. How can you hate either one. My LP is awesome but may Strat blows it out of the water in every way.

[​IMG]

My LP is like an old sports car. Fun as hell to drive, very exciting with the perfect exhaust note but not the most comforitable thing in the world. My Strat is simply that perfect spot on your couch.:D

2. beanoburst66

beanoburst66 Senior Member

its weird my les paul was gone for about a week at the shop and i missed it so much. now that i have it back all i play is my strat.

3. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

Ive decided playing the strat is not cheating on the paul and vice versa. After a few lousy les paul takes on a solo today, I figured to give the strat some work. I usually reach for the clapton, but grabbed the malmsteen. GREAT CHOICE, set the track on fire. I would NOT have gotten the same lead out of the paul. its a matter of the right guitar for the track.

4. stonevibe

stonevibe Senior Member

"Les Pauls are for looking at and Strats are for playing"

I was once told....

5. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

I like it. However I have been finding myself reaching for my Paul more and more as of late. Im really diging on some of the tones Im getting from the neck pup for playin blues leads. I know Im in the minority here but I like the neck pup much more than the bridge.

6. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

its like that with all marriages:laugh2:

7. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Senior Member

The middle pickup gets in my way also and I do find that hard to get used to.After playing one of my Gibsons ,I guess I get used to strumming hand being in a certain area ,and when strumming on the fender,the pickup is right in that spot.

8. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Les....I'm the same way. To be honest about...stylistically my playing might better be categorized as "Strat-y", or "Dude....you should play a Strat if you're going to play like that."...

But I like the Les Paul because it's got a heavier sound. Now when I'm playing funk riffs, there's some oomph behind them. :D

(and I rarely use the bridge pickup...even for the dirty stuff....It's making me wonder if I should look into something else...going to Tonefreaks...)

9. Joeydego

Also there is something to be said about strat necks. They go from VERY comfortable and perfect to damn near unplayable with a radius you cant rest your fingers on. Most LP to me I can pick up and play and recognize the LP neck, but the strats are different. You really need the RIGHT strat.

10. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

I dont find it hard playing a Strat, I just hate the noise from the pups, I cant stand that hum. The volume knob does get in my way but I work around it. I used to move the volume knob to the tone knob spot. I like the feel I'm learning on it, as soon as I get some special noisless pups from Spence.....AKA Nugget all will be good with the world. :)

11. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I've never been a Strat guy. In fact, for a while I was an "anti-strat" guy. The other week I picked up a Fender Roadworn 50's Strat and absolutely fell in love with it. I've sold 2 guitars and a rifle this week to fund it - but will be leaving it in the shop until the end of the month, as it is going to be my birthday present. I've been in every few days to the shop to jam on it - boy, what a guitar! I've played quite a few Strats, and really haven't liked very many of them. This one, though, is right up there in my top few favorite guitars...

12. Joeydego

like I said, the RIGHT strat. I bet others in the store feel unplayable.

13. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Now you are sounding like me Dice, see what the "Right Strat" will do to ya Hope you enjoy it bro, Happy early B-Day :naughty: