I find it hard playing a Strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Tim Plains, Dec 12, 2008.

1. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Judging by the clips, yes--it gets almost there. I really sat up when I heard the Stratty tones coming from an LP.

:D

Thumbs-up!

BB

2. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

just wait for the coming clips!! very soon!!
    :thumb:

3. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Can't wait!

BB

4. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

will do pretty soon!!

this Christmas time before I send the pickups away ( :naughty: ) I'm going to my friend's studio ( MySpace.com - Sequentialee - 33 - Male - ES - www.myspace.com/sequentialee ), install them in an SG and record some stuff for an album and in the process record clips.
    I'd be sharing them with you for sure!!

The Sg has Seth Lovers now so it'd be interesting A/B-ing both sets.

Well, enough thread hijacking

5. 996ttcab

996ttcab Senior Member

Really. I find just the opposite. Les Paul is way stiffer, tart has way better action and can be lowered much lower if one prefers, string bends are effortless even to the point of braking, don't need any additional springs to lower action as saddles remain the same height. My Strats are just effortless to play, but I do have the best playing American deluxe I have ever run played and a 1997 custom shop American Classic.

I have NEVER played any Gibson Les Paul that played as smoothly as a Strat and that goes for my 1968 which is probably the best player for a Les Paul I have put my hands on since the 1970s. My new Traditional feels like an acoustic compared to my Strats.

6. 996ttcab

996ttcab Senior Member

I am a very aggressive picker style and I do not even come close.

7. tintin

tintin Senior Member

I love my Strat for many reasons- compact, light, accessible fretboard, but I keep on returning to an LP for tone.

I haven't had a problem with the middle pick up, but I recall reading an interview piece in one of the guitar mags this year showing pics of the dude's Strat with a big hole in the middle- he'd removed the middle pick up entirely.

8. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

my main niggles playing strats are:

- string tension ( I play finger style )
    - slight lack of sustain
    - vintage radius
    - I miss the warmth of a good humbucker

all of those are gone when playing Gibsons ;)

Still for some sounds the Strat is great and my strat plays and sounds... wooaahhhh... great!!

9. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Sometimes to me, playing a Strat(or Tele) is like driving a cool old car or truck that has no power steering. Still fun to drive, but it takes a little more work. Les Pauls, have ac, power streering, power brakes etc. so people seem to like them quicker. I had a 68' Chevy truck with no power steering, inline 6, Manual with 3 on the tree shifter, best truck I ever had a long as I kept oil in it :)

10. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

I have to add. I don't really have a problem with either when I pick one up and play it. But changing right after playing one really magnifies the differences between them, soundwise and neckwise. The lp, although still having a smaller neck than for say a '58 is a lot chunkier then the strat. The lp indeed tends to slip of your lap due to the weight of the body although it hangs even when around your neck. Strat is more comfortable. That body design is just perfect. I don't care what people say. That thing is thought through and is a fuckin sweet piece of engineering. But the carved top on a lp is a thing of beauty. Soundwise (acoustic) is like day and night. They complement each other. And one is better fit for certain tasks then the other. I love em both for what they are, great instruments.

11. Samantha

Samantha MLP Cub Reporter V.I.P. Member

don't blow this into something like that, sorry but it just seems like your exaggerating. We aren't conformist and just because the world is a somewhat horrid place doesn't mean MLP has to let people "throw stones" when they feel like it

12. jonesy

I am not excusing tweed cabs comments by any means, but I stand behind what I said in my earlier post and IMO that is the way it really is in the world. You don't always get the answer you want to hear when you ask a question? People should be entitled to their opinions whether they have 4 posts or 4,000.

13. Tweed Cab

Tweed Cab Member

Hi Jonesy, I was hoping you would show a pic of you playing a Strat behind your back to show the kids how easy they do play!:cool:

14. jonesy

Hey Tweed, didn't have one handy or I probably would have. Picked up the behind the head thing and sometimes behind the back from Jimi when I was in my early 20's. I think I still have some old VHS tapes with bar footage of me doing that..lol

15. jonesy

Wow, just got back online tonight. Bad ice storm here in Indiana. Anyways in all fairness. I talked to R9 more about his Strat troubles in detail, and he was also having some issues with the neck on the Strat being smaller and thinner in profile. Going the other way I have had trouble with some of the really Fat Gibson necks, I had one of those faded SG's and the neck was just way to thick/fat for me. My 99' LP Special has a neck that is just right for me IMO. I can understand someone having a hard time with a certain guitar, and wanting to like it but it just does not feel right for them. We don't all have to like the same things and thats about all I am going to post on this thread.
    Peace, jonesy

16. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Sounds like my kinda guitar! :)

17. bildozr

bildozr Deliberately Obtuse V.I.P. Member

I miss havin Fenders layin around but whenever I'd start playing my strat it'd take me 10 minutes to adjust.
    Switching back to my Lester it'd take me a while to get used to the neck again.

18. stonevibe

stonevibe Senior Member

Real men play Strats....

19. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

now theres a great answer

20. slashfan1

slashfan1 Senior Member

I think its like this:
    Do u wanna play a strat? play it but then gibsons ares harder to play
    If u wanna play a gibson? play it but then strats ares harder to play

I Have the same thing....... And i have a fender custom shop :(