I find it hard playing a Strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Tim Plains, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

I'm not bashing Fender and not complaining, by any means...

I've been playing Gibson guitars exclusively for almost three years. I bought a Strat in October and it really takes me a while to adjust to it. The neck feels really small and the middle pickup keeps getting in the way. My right hand naturally wants to pick right on top of that middle pickup and it drives me nuts! Anybody else?

2. Zoshquin

Zoshquin Senior Member

same.. It feels odd playing a strat.. XD

3. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

Other way around for me. My favorite guitars have always been.
    1. Les Paul
    2.Telecaster
    I never liked Strats really, that is until I played mine. After playing Les Pauls and big neck Teles, the Strat felt way easier. I'm not a very good player but I do feel better on a Strat (at least my C/S).

4. Dino

Dino Senior Member

I have a hard time with Strats too.
    The volume knob is way too close and I'm always turning myself down while playing.

Some would say that is a good thing. :)

5. worn

worn Senior Member

I have 2 Strats, and a Tele, just got a Gibson this year and I find the Gibson harder to play. There's nothing wrong with the Gibson, I'm just used to the Fender neck.

6. ellem52

ellem52 Senior Member

Ynwgie Malmsteen once said that companies would send him these ridiculously pointy guitars but say, "The neck on this is essentially a 60s Strat neck," to which YW said, "But what about the body? My ribs are deformed from playing a Strat my whole life."

7. Jason

Jason Senior Member

I've heard people complain about the pickup thing but I don't get it... are some of you guys really getting the pick in there deep? Or are the pickups on a strat super close to the strings?

8. 73roadrunner

73roadrunner Senior Member

Lower the middle pickup all the way. Thats what I did with my Strat, never use the middle pickup anyways:thumb:

9. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

I never use the middle pickup either, even I love the way it sounds. That's because my right hand tends to hit the selector switch. That's another reason I reason I find them hard to play them. I'm always in the bridge position and not by choice! :laugh2:

I love the guitar, don't get me wrong. When I finally do adapt, I can make her sing. It's just such a chore for me to get use to it. Stupid Fender! :laugh2:

10. worn

worn Senior Member

Why would you not use the middle pickup, you don't like the middle and bridge mix?
    If you lower the middle, you'll throw off the balance/mix between the pickups.
    3 pickups and a 5 way switch = Strat. Anything else is a Strat "styled" guitar

11. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

I have a '68 reissue with '69 Abigail Ybarra Vintage pups...and a custom jumbo fret job....

Sigh...I rarely play the guitar out. :( I like that vintage strat tone, and if you're having a good night with a strat, you can really get some amazing sounds out of one.

But, they're very unforgiving. Have an off night and the guitar will literally play you.

The Les Pauls are a lot heavier but they are easier to play IMHO...

12. Ekoms

Ekoms Senior Member

lowering the middle pickup is very common because of that issue. I lowered mine very far, and then slowly brought it up until I started hitting it again, just so that I could still get that awesome inbetween tone.

13. 73roadrunner

73roadrunner Senior Member

Yngwie keeps his allt he way down.

14. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I've always had a decent variety of guitars once I really started getting serious about playing, so its never been much of a problem for me. Its more or less the same as driving a different car than what your used to, say a sub compact 4 banger to a full size v8 pickup, everything is different, the view, the controls, the turning radius, the way the engine responds, the response of the brakes, if you didnt alter your habits from the start you'd be in trouble, and sure it feels awkward at first, but it quickly becomes second nature. I think the bulk of people that just cant get comfortable with a different style of guitar is simply that they wont alter their playing style to complimnet the design of the guitar, a different neck profile means a different grip on the neck, different wheight/balance means a different way the body sits sitting or standing, and the list goes on, picking techinique will alter a bit the whole 9. If you refuse to adapt to the changes, its gonna be uncomfortable and feel unpleasant, much like stuffing size 12 feet in size 11 shoes and going on a 5 mile hike, sure it can be done, but it aint gonna be pretty.

The above being said, some gits just simply dont meash with some folks, and its always gonna be a struggle, no matter how much you like the instrument, I've had a few that I could never get along quite right with.

15. 996ttcab

996ttcab Senior Member

Lower the middle pickup a bit if striking it, but you eventually play in front of or behind it.

Strats simply play so much better and are so much easier to play than a Ls Paul it is frightening. The neck is not small, it is just the way it is supposed to be so you can shred and play comfy in all positions.

16. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

One solution: Sell it to me! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:. I love strats. They get the same love as Les Pauls do. I love barring the whole neck with my thumb and using my other four fingers to do chords and sweep. The feeling is very natural.

17. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

My Strat is above and beyond far far superior to my Les Paul in every way. PERIOD. Eventually you may feel the same.

18. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

they are two totaly different instruments in alot
    of ways.
    I grew up playing fenders, so it actualy took me months
    to get used to my first les paul. My first gibson was
    a SG delux and was a little easier change from a strat,
    but i have played them both for 30 plus years now, and do
    understand that they are really different to play

19. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

+ 1 cold, you just have to adapt, and stated before, some gits you cant adapt to, I've played gibby LP's that just didnt work with me, but going from a strat, to an LP to a tele, with all three everything changes for me, angle I play at, the way I grip the neck, the way I hold a pick, and the way I attack the strings. If I try and play my tele the way I play my LP, its a losing battle, myself and instrument would be constantly fighting eachother.

20. Muck Fe

Muck Fe Senior Member