I -am- Romeo Rose and I have questions...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by romrorose, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romrorose

romrorose Banned

I -am- Romeo Rose and I would like information on the following...

I just bought 2 Gibson Les Paul guitars and am about to buy a third one. My first two are the 2018 Les Paul Traditional Tobacco Sunburst with the Slash set of Duncan pickups and the 2nd is the 2018 Goldtop Classic with the Lollar Sean Costello set of P90 pickups.

I am thinking about buying a 3rd, a 2018 Gibson Les Paul Tribute, with the (Satin) Goldtop finish and putting a set of Zakk Wylde EMG 81/85 active pickups in it.

Questions...

1. What will the Tribute les paul be lacking in quality and tone compared to my 2018 Traditional? I mean is the binding and fancy finish the ONLY things I will be missing?

2. About that (Satin) finish on the Tribute model... What's satin really mean? Is this going to be a crappy finish that will completely flake off over the years? I mean if so why not just sand all the finish off to begin with if that's how it will eventually look anyways?

3. Is the satin finish and lack of binding going to affect the TONE?

4. What do yall think an average fair price would be for someone to paint the top of the Tribute Les Paul Black??? And is there any online recommendation of who I could ship it to to get that done? If I can get it painted Black, then I will also add a Gold Tone Pros bridge and tail piece and Gold locking Tuners, with Gold top hat knobs. (Because I don't want to pay ridiculous prices to get a Custom just to have a new Black Les Paul, nor do I want anything that has any kind of weight relief, nor do I want anything that's used and not brand new)

5. Is there enough room in the back compartment of the Tribute Les Paul to put the battery, and would it also hold two batteries for the 19 volt mod? How worried would I have to be about these batteries moving about as I'm playing and causing damage or knocking loose any of the wiring?

6. I'm also tempted to get a Gibson Flying V 2018 instead in Ebony, if I did, and considering that I will be using Active EMG pickups, would there be much noticeable difference in TONE between EMGs in it vs EMGs in the Tribute Les Paul, and if so, how much and in what ways?

That's all I got for right now, Thanks!
    Romeo Rose a.k.a. The King of 6th Street

2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

dang the first thing I thought of was this guy needs to recreate his account because he fat fingered the hell out of Romeo

3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Romeo, or Romro?

Step over here and breathe into this tube, please, sir.

5. romrorose

romrorose Banned

Yeah, I misspelled my username and it wouldn't let me go back and change it without starting over.

Question 7. I just read the 101 Sticky in this forum... it said ALL gibsons are weight relived after 2007... WTF!?

On the Gibson website it says my 2018 Les Paul Traditional and my 2018 Les Paul Classic are NOT weight relievied....

so are they are not?

Because that was a BIG selling point to me.

I don't understand people that are such WIMPS they think strapping on a ten pound guitar for 2 or 3 hours at a show is a big deal. TEN pounds is NOTHING. Most Americans are more than ten pounds overweight anyway, I say drop weight from your fat stomach and gain some muscle and strength and then you won't complain about a ten pound guitar being too "heavy".

Ridiculous.

But I am looking forward to some info on the questions I posted.

Romeo Rose
    (Pimpin' them ho's from the ghettos to the limos!)

Well, if there's no downsides to having a "satin" finish vs the regular finishes, then I may not have it repainted, I may just get it and keep it the way it is other than the pickup swap. So maybe thinner is better? but I guess even if thinner is better probably won't hear the difference with EMG Actives and distortion as people say EMGs sound pretty much the same no matter what guitar you put them in.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2017
  6. romrorose

romrorose Banned

I'm still trying to also understand, why did I pay $2,400 for my 2018 Les Paul Traditional, when the 2018 Tribute is only $999?

I mean is the binding and finish SERIOUSLY the only things that justifying a $1,400 price difference?

I don't understand what the huge deal is about binding, maybe I'm missing something.

And from my research so far plenty of people seem to be getting guitars repainted and clearcoated for around $400 from many different places online.

I also usually replace the pickups on ALL of my guitars as well as getting Stainless Steel Jumbo Frets and locking tuners installed on ALL my guitars, and often times change out the bridges and tremolos as well...

So I'm just not seeing why anyone would pay $2400 for the Traditional vs $999 for the Tribute (Obvisouly I did, haha) but I'm just trying to understand it all.

7. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Is this you op?

[​IMG]

Matt_21, jeff_farkas, Greco and 7 others like this.
  8. romrorose

romrorose Banned

Cool! Thanks for letting me know about my username.

I once had a Satin Bc Rich Mockingbird, and I noticed a area of the guitar started getting rubbed "smooth" where my hand would be after only a couple weeks. It did feel different for sure. But I only had that guitar a month or so so didn't play it enough to decide how I felt about its Satin finish, but was concerened it seemed to be rubbing away quick, but just thought maybe my finish was flawed.

I guess I'm also a bit concerened with how people are going to look at me if I get the tribute with the Satin finish, I mean do people look down on Satin or Faded finishes as if they are cheap or infererior to guitars with glossy finishes?

Yeah that's my old guitar "Juliet" I had custom made for $4,000. I play mostly Suhr guitars these days other than these Les Pauls I just bought.
    I don't even have Juliet anymore, Had to sell her for $600.

9. romrorose

romrorose Banned

The link didn't work for me. I have owned used guitars in the past, but I'm just so paranoid about buying them anymore, too worried I'm gonna buy something fake, or something that has problems.

Yeah, the guy I sold her to though said I can buy her back anytime I want for the same amount he gave me for her. We may reunite again one day perhaps.

10. bungle

bungle Senior Member

Umm ya know we're goina need :photos:of said guitars.

mdubya and mudface like this.
  11. romrorose

romrorose Banned

That's real pretty! I like the Black pickguard! Doug Aldrich does the Black Pickguards on his Goldtops too now, he calls them "Black Eyes"

12. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

13. romrorose

romrorose Banned

Yeah I get it, but I'm a very visual person, and I know it's crazy, but I do like the prestige of names like Fender, Gibson, and Suhr. It just makes me feel better about playing them. It's psychological. Same thing with jewelry, I used to wear a Rolex but then started wearing Tiffany, both are status symbols, but Rolex is better made for keeping time, where as Tiffany is mainly for Fashion, but I don't care if the time is right wrong or even set correctly I just care about the names on the faces haha. With guitars though quality and craftsmanship and playability mean as much to me as the name. But yeah you have no idea how much I've lusted over one of those $5,000 Zakk Wylde Les Paul Bullseye finishes, and many times came close to getting the Epiphone version for under $800, but just never could bring myself to do it because of the name, but also couldn't bring myself to pay $5000 for a Zakk Wylde replica, when I already paid $2,500 for a GMW Randy Rhoads Polka Dot V replica, and I like Randy better anyways, and the V is way more playable on the high frets. I'm not rich, but I'm so passionate about guitars I spend almost every dime I have on them! Thank God I have a Kemper now so at least now with that I no longer lust after amps haha

Who likes this.
  14. romrorose

romrorose Banned

I also gave some thought to getting the new Zakk Wylde Odin Holy Grail Bullseye for $1,200 I believe is about what the price is with the EMGs, but that's made in Indonesia I think and the Tribute Les Paul is made in America so I just think that might be better

That would be AWESOME! thanks

15. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

16. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

I don’t have that ability.

One needs to PM Alex for that.

jeff_farkas, Harmony and Who like this.
  17. romrorose

romrorose Banned

Cool, I sent him a pm to ask for it to be changed

I tell y'all what though.... The captain at the andertons store sure did make the tribute sound sweet at the start of his video with rob chapman

Who likes this.
  18. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

I feel like I'm meeting the ghost of internet past.

19. Nippon

Nippon Insert Kanji here... Premium Member

Maybe you should have asked these questions, before buying.

20. Nippon

Nippon Insert Kanji here... Premium Member

Yes, impecco springs to mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.