I absolutely ******* LOVE my Firebird

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by CaineIsCarter, Mar 13, 2017.

1. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Member

Sorry, just feel the need to express it :fingersx:

OK, I am very obviously in the honeymoon period which accompanies all new guitar purchases, but my Bonamassa FB has got under my skin like nothing else. It sounds fantastic, plays so well and I think it looks stunning.

I did have to fix the neck-dive issue which was frankly really bad; playing it standing up was impossible because I had to constantly hold the neck up with my left hand. I am amazed that other owners have not had this problem; perhaps the body on mine is particularly light. I solved it by filling up the rear cavity with carefully-placed self-adhesive car wheel balancing weights, stacked on top of each other on the underside of the cavity cover. It still wasn't enough, so I stuck two strips of the weights on either side of the strap near the bottom and binding it all with black tape. It looks pretty good even if I say so myself :)

As a matter of interest, it took 100g of weight to balance the guitar out so that the neck didn't dive.

I cna take pics if anyone is interested in doing this for their own guitar.

2. judson

judson Senior Member

glad you love it we all do...but i gotta ask what strap button were you using? using the one behind the neck gives it better balance and a trick i dont use but some do is just to put the bottom of the strap over the lower wing...

that honeymoon lasts a long time 3+ months and its the first one i grabbed this morning....yes it was morning wood ! :laugh2::laugh2:

3. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Member

:laugh2:

It only has one strap button - the one behind the neck that you mention. Also I did try hooking the bottom of the strap over the lower wing, but I am extremely shallow and superficial and didn't think it looked good that way. I am completely satisfied with the setup I now have.

4. judson

judson Senior Member

your right i forgot some here were putting the extra strap button on the top wing to give it more of the correct specs of the 63/64...

thats great , whatever works for you, enjoy it :thumb:

5. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Damn.

That's almost a quarter of a pound!

Cool you got it squared away...

6. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Cool! Yes, please post pics. My Epi Firebird Studio is a neck diver too... I'd love to see the remedy. Also, where did you get the wheel weights? Thx!

7. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Member

8. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

What tuners does it have?

9. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Allen Collins played with the strap over the top of the rear wing. I had an FB V that I gigged for several years and did the same thing.

[​IMG]

Firebirds can really get under your skin. My current muse is a 2002 non-reverse model with full sized buckers. It is a beast and I love it, can't stop playing it.

[​IMG]

10. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I loooooove that model! I have always wanted one! :thumb:

11. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Member

OK, I'm really sorry but posting pics on this forum is quite beyond me on my ipad. If you don't mind clicking on another link, you can see some pics of my fix.

It is far from perfect, and I would clearly prefer not to have to fill my guitar with metal, but it works. Standing up, the guitar is perfectly balanced and I get to keep my nice hand made leather strap, and I don't have to hook it over the rear upper wing/horn/bout/whatever. I tried that and I really don't like how it looks.

I assume the imbalance is caused by the tuners, which look magnificent but also give the impression of a medieval battlefield weapon :)

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/epi-firebird-neck-dive-fixed.714463/

12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I had been toying with having one custom built, then started shopping the 2015's with minis, thinking I could get a second pickguard with a full size hb in the bridge. Then this one fell in my lap. It is awesome and I would encourage you to find one and buy it if you can. It wows me every day.

13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Let's see if this works. :hmm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Member

That's great mdubya, thanks very much!

In case anyone is wondering, the weights in the cavity are carefully arranged so as not to foul the circuitry, and the weights on the strap don't touch the guitar when playing. The weights come with very strong adhesive and stick very well to each other and to the strap. I bound the weights in tape to add another layer of protection and because it looks better than shiny silver weights.

I'm considering asking the man who hand-made the strap to stitch an enclosed leather sleeve over the weights to make it permanent, and to make it completely blend in.

15. judson

judson Senior Member

thanks for that pic...i thought you taped the weights to guitar !

that isnt a bad idea actually if you have neck dive i guess

but i would take them out of the control cavity and keep keep adding to the strap if you needed more weight maybe

16. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

My '65 non-reverse FBIII balances beautifully with the light, cheapie tuners. It was avan OK with Schallers. My modern one with Steinbergers was great, too. And that was a 7.1# guitar.
    Those banjo tuners sure look the business, but...dang!
    Maybe hang a bronze bell off the rear button. It could be your trademark!

17. judson

judson Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_MWeOs8Ffg[/ame]