Hyper's Strat (SRV) project

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Hyper, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

So, I'm building myself a SRV "Number 1" copy. I'll get in to all the specs a bit later but for now, I'm hoping for a bit of help on selecting the right body for the job. Here's what I have to work with:

From left to right.

Fender MIM Alder "3 tone Sunburst" (Poly finish)
    Fender American Highway 1 Alder "3 tone Sunburst" (Nitro finish)
    No name Agathis body "3 tone sunburst" (Poly Finish)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What say you? :thumb:

Strato likes this.
  2. shtdaprdtr

shtdaprdtr Senior Member

I say take some polishing compound to the highway 1..or wet sand the Mexican....Id focus more on the highway 1...should make for a lighter and woodier guitar.

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

I say go with the nitro body. For some reason it reminds me more of SRV's guitar than the other two.

- D

4. shtdaprdtr

shtdaprdtr Senior Member

sorry...woodier sounding

5. shtdaprdtr

shtdaprdtr Senior Member

little tip..try scraping off as much finish as you can inside the cavities and in the rear spring cavity and under the bridge contact. It helps the sustain and tone..as you can see on Eddies guitars...Charvel went that way.

6. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

I would stick with a highway one body. I used that for my SRV inspired project.

7. Mike's_LP

Mike's_LP Senior Member

Ditto. The lighter paint gives the body more "room to breathe". Good luck with the project!

8. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Hwy 1s have Poly underneath the Nitro; the poly may be thinner than the other candy-covered guitar bodies though.

9. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

True. There is also a thin layer of "Fullerplast" under there however as you stated, it's much thinner than the standard Poly covered bodies!

10. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

If you are going to go all the way with your guitar, I think you need to use the Highway 1.
    Check out the "waves on a beach" upper bout grain and compare it to SRV's. To me it looks like a close match. Especially if you plan to age it. The HW 1 is the obvious choice, to me.

Strato likes this.
  11. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

The Highway 1 it is. The Fender MIM is on Ebay and the "No Name" body has been donated to the "Greasebox has a pile of spare parts so he might as well build a guitar out of them" fund! :laugh2:

12. TheJrAce

TheJrAce Senior Member

gotta go with the hgwy one. Looks the best.

13. JonMan94

JonMan94 Senior Member

Lol :d

14. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

[​IMG]

Number One" ("First Wife")

"Number One" (sometimes called "First Wife") is the most familiar of Stevie's guitars. It was a battered 1959 Stratocaster with a 1962 neck. Number One possessed a deep, growly tone that was instantly identifiable and Stevie used it for many songs.

Stevie acquired Number One in 1973 from Ray's Music Exchange in Austin, Texas. He liked the tobacco-sunburst finish and the thick, unusually-shaped rosewood D-neck (Stevie hands were large, so thin necks presented a problem for him). In an interview, Stevie said that he knew right away that it was the guitar for him:

"I didn't even have to play it - I just knew by the way it looked that it would sound great. I was carrying my '63 Strat and asked if [the shop owner] would like to trade. Thank God he did, and it's been my main axe even since."

Number One originally had a white pickguard, a right-handed tremelo bar, and 1959 pickups. Stevie eventually replaced the white pickguard with a black one and added the familiar "SRV" lettering. Rene Martinez, Stevie guitar technician, one remarked about how Stevie would sometimes resort to searching the ground around truck stops to find replacement letters when the old ones wore away. The tremelo unit was replaced with a gold left-handed unit in 1977. Stevie had always tried to emulate Jimi Hendrix and Otis Rush, both of whom were left-handed and played right-handed guitars turned upside down. The guitars pickups are a source of some debate. Many SRV fans believe that Stevie had the pickups rewound, resulting in an overwind and giving the pickups a "hotter" sound. Others believe that the pickups were overwound at the factory due to mechanical inaccuracies. Whatever the real story, they were definitely not regular Fender pickups.

Stevie and Rene also replaced Number One's stock frets with Dunlop 6100 bass-style frets. These bigger frets added sustain and and also helped during string bending. The second advantage was especially important, as Stevie always used massively thick strings. His string sizes varied over the years, but they were always fairly large. This choice of strings was very hard on Stevie's fingers and Rene eventually convinced him to switch to smaller strings to save wear and tear on his hands. A sample of his string gauges (from high E down) is .013, .016, .019, .028, .038, .056.

Number One was subjected to extreme wear and tear during its life with Stevie. Onstage, Stevie would kick it, pound it, rattle it on the floor, and even ride it like a sufboard. All this abuse stripped away what little finish remained on the body. Stevie's heavy strumming also wore down the surface of the guitar, particularly just above the strings. The gouge is clearly visible by Stevie's hand in the picture above. During his time with Triple Threat Revue, Stevie observed Jimmie bounce his guitar off a wall, catch it, and keep playing. He thought it was a neat trick and tried to duplicate it. The impact severely damaged Number One's headstock, nearly splitting it in two. The damage was repaired by Rene Martinez (the taped-up headstock can be seen in a picture on the inside of the CD jacket from In The Beginning).

By 1989, Stevie was considering retiring Number One. The neck had been repaired so many times that it would not take new frets and was very difficult to play. Rene replaced it with the neck from "Scotch", another of Stevie's Stratocasters. In 1990, that neck was broken at a show in Holmdell, New Jersey, when a piece of stage scenery fell on several of Stevie's guitars. Rene eventually ordered a replacement neck from Fender and received a copy of the 1963 neck.

Currently, Number One is thought to be in the possession of Jimmie Vaughan, although rumors persist that it is buried with Stevie in Dallas. After Stevie's death, Rene Martinez supposedly put the original neck back on Number One and presented it to the Vaughan family.

15. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

That's a great story Jonesy! My only changes to my "Number 1" is that I will keep the right handed tremolo and I won't relic the body (right away).

16. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

Yeah the body will relic on it's own. My orgininal highway one is already wearing on the parts were my arm rubs as I play. Gives it a light shine to it that makes it look nice and realistic.

17. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

When I first saw the Highway 1 bodies, I though it was too good to be true. I'm glad I got both the MIM burst as well as the Highway 1 burst though. Getting to see them side by side was really the key for me in this project. I'm counting on the Highway 1 to wear nicely!

18. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

Cool! We'll be waiting for pics.

19. A string bounce

A string bounce Senior Member

100% Highway!

20. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

The MIM body sold today and the generic body went to Greasebox for his bag-O-parts caster. The SRV and Custom decals came today and I should have a boatload of stuff showing up Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully, it won't take too long to get this thing built! :thumb: