Humbuckers VS P90's VS Single Coils

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by RombardO, Jan 11, 2010.

Wich one do you like the most

1. Humbuckers

35 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. Single Coils

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. P90s

39 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. I like em all/ I dont care.

36 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

2. Sin Nombre

Sin Nombre Senior Member

How do Mean 90s differ from real P90s? (Not disputing, just asking) :hmm:

3. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

I want to have all three within arm's reach. If forced to choose one, I'll go P-90.

To rank them:

P-90
    Tele bridge PUP
    Humbucker
    Strat single coil

Eggman likes this.
  4. Tuya Customs

Tuya Customs Senior Member

They are in humbucker housing, normal P90's do not fint in a humbucker route because they are LONGER and THINNER due to the way that they are wound. This means a few things: for one, the pole pieces will never line up on a 'bucker p90 the way they do on a P90. Second since they're wound so widely the coils will have to wound differently to fit into a standard humbucker housing. Both making a big difference on tone, THATS why real P90's cant be put into humbucker housing. Although you do get close with the mean 90 :cool:

5. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

I play them all regularly, but my sweetheart is the P-90 (with a little Charlie Christian thrown in the mix).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

I LOVE a good P90 sound - rich and full, but with that single coil spank, cut, and edge.........................

My favorite pickup...............

Eggman likes this.
  7. Raiseittoeleven24

Raiseittoeleven24 Member

For the bridge I love a good humbucker but I do really like good Single coils in the middle and neck, I use a Dimarzio Area 67 in the neck and a 58 in the middle of my strat and they sound amazing! I will have to make a video to demonstrate the sound of them soon. I have yet to try a P-90 but after everyone raving about them I feel the need to go out and try one!

8. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Woot! I'm one of two dummies to vote for Singles.

P90s and Singles are a toss up for me to be honest - but it has been single coil heaven for me lately. Love 'em.

9. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

P90's are THE sh!t.

Eggman likes this.
  10. vortexx

vortexx Senior Member

With P-90's I can get fat or thin tone so if I only could have one, that would be it.
    I'm getting a P-180 (switchable from a p-90 to a p-180 using a coil tap) from Curtis Novak today so I might choose that after I hear it.

11. Eggman

Eggman Senior Member

Howdy,

P-90s are the sonic equivalent of Halle Berry in a mini-skirt and black fishnet stockings with the seam down the back.

12. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

I like humbuckers the best but I like them all, I constantly switch between them all. I wired my strats with the tone on the bridge pickup & can really fatten up the sound with that. It all depends on how I'm inspired & feeling at that particular time.

13. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

I'm more a fan of single coils, as my main 2 guitars are a strat and a tele. I preferred humbuckers back when I was playing more high gain distortion stuff, but my tone is mostly clean now with a really light overdrive at most if I need a little dirt and I like the crisp n chimey tones I get from single coils. Plus I've never had any issues with my strat or tele not cutting through the mix, they sound razor sharp but warm up real easily if needed. And even when playing high gain stuff I love the dirty sharp grit you get from single coils that you can't really get out of humbuckers. If you know your guitar well and know how to use your volume/tone controls correctly single coils are incredibly versatile.

That's just my preference, though.