Humbuckers VS P90's VS Single Coils

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by RombardO, Jan 11, 2010.

Wich one do you like the most

1. Humbuckers

35 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. Single Coils

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. P90s

39 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. I like em all/ I dont care.

36 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. RombardO

RombardO Senior Member

I decided to post a poll about this to hear your opinions. :hmm:
    So wich one do you prefer?
    I personally am a humbucker kind of guy, but i do like the sound of the p90s. :slash:Single coils arn't really my thing.:rolleyes:
    (sorry if this has allready been done before i did just a fast check)

2. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Different needs for different applications. That said, my favorite pickups are p90s. ;)

Eggman likes this.
  3. csparks75

csparks75 Senior Member

Humbuckers here, but agree that the application dictates what pickup gets used.

jeff_farkas likes this.
  4. River

River Senior Member

Ya need 'em all, but if I had to choose one, it'd be a P-90.

Eggman likes this.
  5. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

After playing a '55 jr. for an extended amount of time now (my friends) I have to agree. a P90 just lights up a guitar.

[​IMG]

Eggman likes this.
  6. bullpentherapy

bullpentherapy Senior Member

here is a tone demo of a p-90 dc special volume on guitar at 3 and then full bore
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PDzoyKiVts]YouTube - Gibson les paul dc special tv yellow 60[/ame]

7. Tuya Customs

Tuya Customs Senior Member

P90 beats a single coil any day for me. They might even beat humbuckers. Hell the Mean 90's I have technically arent real P90's but damn do they kick ass!

8. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

P90s are single coil pickups.

9. RombardO

RombardO Senior Member

I am aware of that, but you know what i meant. ;)

10. Rich

I assumed that you did but you never really can be sure at MLP. ;)

11. jonesy77777

jonesy77777 Senior Member

If i could only have one type it would be humbuckers with split coils. So I guess my favourite is humbuckers, but I really liked the P90 in my 55' LP JR. I am awaiting a set of Sheptone singlecoils and hope they give me the single coil tone I have been looking for, because I don't have it in my 57' american vintage strat.

12. Rich

jonesey77777, I hear ya with the '57. Actually, I really like the stock neck pup but, no matter what I did with the bridge, it sounded like it was shrieking - lowering it, adding a compressor - nothing helped. I ended up replacing all three with a custom set by Don Mare that I like a lot although I'm sometimes torn between the stock neck pup and the Don Mare; they both sound great, just a little different. The stock middle pup was nothing to get excited about but the middle Don Mare is really good and lively and I sometimes use it by itself (not something I often do with Strats). When I ordered the set, I spoke with Don Mare, explained to him what I had and what I wanted different (keep the bridge bright but knock off the shrieking) and I got what I asked for along with the other two balanced to work well with the bridge. They're a really nice sounding set with lots of "space" in the sound.

I hope the replacement set you bought works out (I know nothing about them except that I've heard of Sheptone) but pay close attention to the neck pup; you might end up liking the stock pup better if you like your neck to be relatively bright with a nice "bloop" on the bottom.

13. Rich

Worth noting is that I took the set from my '57 and used them to replace the stock pups in my MIM Standard Strat. The stock pups in that guitar sounded dead and boring but the bridge pup from the '57 actually sounds pretty good in there and doesn't shriek and the neck pup sounds phenominal. Go figure.

14. Goldtop75

Goldtop75 Senior Member

I get get some very close single coil tones with stacked humbuckers in single coil size, but I can't get a nice fat and creamy humbucker tone from any single coil I've tried. And I've tried a lot.

Humbuckers as a general format gets my vote!

15. R8R6Ben

R8R6Ben Senior Member

I like the humbuckers Kevin T just wound me and I love the Lollars in my tele but the Lollars in the R6 are glorious... So P90's get my vote:)

16. jonesy77777

jonesy77777 Senior Member

I've heard a few people switching them out, not the greatest pup's. When I get the Shep's i'll do a before and after for you guys.

17. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Have you ever tried a Clapton Strat or one outfitted with the mid boost circuit? :cool:

Powerhouse Strats have a similar setup as well. If you haven't tried one, they're worth a shot. You can certainly get some thick humbucker-like tone from those single coils.

18. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

That's a tough call, so I have to say I like them all. Favourite is P90, but then Tele bridge pickups are great, and a good PAF is very similar to a P90 in almost every respect. And Strats also sound pretty cool, and Filtertrons. Always had a soft spot for the "lipstick" pickups in old Danelectros too...

Just impossible to state a preference!

Liam

19. jwk0522

jwk0522 Senior Member

+1

20. darkr_reaver

darkr_reaver Senior Member

Man... That's a tough thing to decide for me. I mostly use the hunbucker but to be honest I like the P-90 better... Especially now with the cap change. I just love it clean, love changing the tone knob with it, love messing with the volume, and I love adding fuzz to it. I have more fun with the Dream 90 than the '57 + on the bridge.