How to Use the Controls on a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Splattle101, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Crack

Crack Member

No one knows? Oh bummer.

2. Dirk$Diggler

Dirk$Diggler Senior Member

Great thread! I'm taking this to band practice tonight! I've thought about going "Gary" for a long time but never been bothered as it seemed like a lot of hassle to learn. You saved me some time dude, thanks! :dude:

3. JMB1984

JMB1984 Premium Member

Here's a video where Joe Bonamassa discusses some "tricks" using the Les Paul controls: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDM1WQhKoGk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDM1WQhKoGk[/ame]

4. JorgeTeixeira

JorgeTeixeira Senior Member

Hi guys.

How do you use the knobs to get THE great clean warm Les Paul TONE?

Jorge

5. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Gary Moore Still Got the Blues
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_YMLDvvnw"]Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues (Live) - YouTube[/ame]

Here is Since I've Been Lovin' You. Page and Plant in 94 with Jimmy starting on the neck pickup and at 0.52 switching to the Bridge.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZEwimJ3GZE"]Since I've Been Loving You - Jimmy Page & Robert Plant HD (No Quarter 1994) - YouTube[/ame]

6. fleik

fleik Senior Member

thanks. great advice

7. bigdaddy496

bigdaddy496 Senior Member

8. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Any ideas pls?
    I do a cover of YOU AINT SEEN NOTHIN YET by BachmanTO.
    I use a multieffects thru the effects loop on the amp for the Flange/Echo combination for the solo lines and switch out the flange for the chorus block chords.The Distortion goes thru the front and is added for these two parts.
    I need to go from clean funky rhythm (no effects) in the verse to distorted flange/echo for the rest and back again but i dont have enough feet unless I hover or am suspended by a wire.
    I use both pups together for the base sound.
    My theoretical solution is to keep the distortion on thus freeing up my foot to switch the flange/echo in and out and clean up the sound for the funky bit with the guitars vols.But I have to do two vols at once and very quickly!
    If I just bring up one vol for the distorted bits its either too deep (neck bias) or too treble (bridge bias).
    Thanks

9. Dirk$Diggler

I just bought this as a rather expensive solution for the exact same problem... I need more feet :laugh2:. I plan on getting away with one switch "per change" in the near future even though the change means activating 4 different pedals. Even still I'm going to practice using the controls on the guitar for different tones and for boost for sure.

[​IMG]

10. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Presumably you can have any combination of those chosen loops controlled by one switch on the octaswitch.If thats the case - great!
    I personally can just about manage the changes for all the rest of my repetoire-its just that one number.Your idea is great but a bit OTT for me but thanks anyway.
    PS can the OCTA assign loops/effects to an amp effects loop?

11. Dirk$Diggler

You mean like this? I'm hoping that this thing is going to help me take some focus off pedals enabling me to focus more on the controls of the guitar. I do agree that it might be a little over the top for many people. What can I say....am I the only one here suffering from GAS :)

[​IMG]

I found this on their website along with the pics:

As shown on the illustration in this example we do have 4 pedals going to the amp's input, and three pedals in the amp's own loop.
    So in the example we use LOOP 5 as the split loop (any can be used) loop 5 send goes the the amp's input, so loop 1-2-3-4 are all front in. The amp's own loop send goes the loop 5 return, and the Octa-Switch main out (left) goes to the amp's loop return, so loop 6-7-8 all will be inserted in the amp's loop after the pre-amp.
    IMPORTANT LOOP 5 SHALL ALWAYS BE ACTIVATED.

manual octaswitch

12. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

It looks good to me - similar to the GIGRIG?
    BTW I tell myself GAS is perfectly normal.

13. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

It looks bloody complicated to me!! :lol: :D

But people could say the same about my board, too, so glass houses and all that. My board these days has to let me cover a fair bit of sonic ground for covers shows and our original sets. So I need wah, echo, some sort of phase / flanger / chorus type effect, and the normal boosts. Minimum.

So my chain now goes:

1. Booster / Buffer
    2. Wah
    3. Fuzz (I know, it's not meant to go there, but it works the way I want it so hey)
    4. Phaser (this is an old small stone that doubles as a mock trem)
    5. analogue delay (for most of my delay requirements)
    6. digital delay (for long delays)
    7. strobe tuner, which also acts as a kill switch
    8. ABY box, which also has an output buffer

One of these days I'll get around to putting the echoes and phaser in TBP loops, but they're not causing me any problems where they are right now. But the main reason I'm replying to you is to talk about the booster and fuzz.

The way I use them, I'll turn one on and turn the guitar down. That'll be my rhythm sound. So if the clean booster it'll sound kinda AC/DC, if the fuzz it's more ZZ Top. Then I go to full vol for solos. That way I don't really have to tap around the board during songs except if I want echo or phase or whah.

The other way I do it is the more conventional way: turn on one boost, with vol down about half, then use the other pedal to get a solo boost.

Of course, there's also both pedals on with guitar flat out: that's what I used for crazy out of control gain sounds like Hendrix.

My point is, if you set your pedals up right you can control most stuff from the guitar without too much hassle. :thumb:

14. AndyOC

AndyOC Junior Member

Great post! When I play live I usually set my amp up for my neck position (a nice warm rhythm sound with sensible treble) , and set my boost/overdrive pedals to suit my bridge pup (holding back on the high-end, but being courteous when boosting the bass) Still letting the brightness of the bridge cut through the mix. Just a thought for you guys, let me know if this helps.

15. GibsonMarshallGuy

GibsonMarshallGuy Senior Member

I consider myself to be very good at using my controls during play on my guitar. But today, I tried using my neck pup for my leads, and WOW sounds really awesome lol. Learned a new trick, thanks....

16. novoselpro

novoselpro Member

Well gang being a major NOOB to all of this, I'm really having a hard time with my tone. I have an Epi LP that I wired like a '59 with Seymour Duncan classic PAF '59's. I have a Marshall Valvestate AVT 50 amp. Now the problem is whether there's something up with my guitar, or is it just my amp.

The first thing I noticed was that after I turned both tone/volume knobs to 10, the neck pup is way louder than the bridge. Is this normal?

I have been able to get a nice clean sound that I like, but the overdrive/crunch sounds like crap. I've tried turning the volume up high (on the amp) and lowered the gain and vis versa, but the overdriven distortion sound just sucks. I am having no better luck on my overdrive channel either. Is anyone else using this amp? I know to get the tone I truly want would require me to buy a tube amp, but the $ isn't there right now. So I'm trying to do the best with what I have right now. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

17. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Firstly, adjust the height of your pickups so the neck is not louder than the bridge.

Secondly, I'm not sure how well the preamp on the valvestate will respond to changes in signal level. My advice would be to see if you can get a good soloing tone from either pickup (after you've adjusted their heights), and go from there.

18. Nigel Tufnel's tech

Nigel Tufnel's tech Senior Member

Put everything on full and use a Volume pedal, Job done! :D

1 person likes this.
  19. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Agree try just adjust the pickup height and the string height as well that should help some.

20. novoselpro

novoselpro Member

Thanks everyone. Will do. I don't know why I didn't think about pick-up hight before. Besides possibly getting a different amp, I was thinking about Wampler's Plexi-Tone. Any thoughts?