How to Use the Controls on a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Splattle101, Jun 12, 2009.

1. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

Well, the rehearsal I went to I took the Blues Jr. It's not like I needed a bunch of headroom BUT, what it did allow me to do is get MUCH more convincing "pseudo tele" tones out of the thing.

My home practice rig is a transistor champ and a mosfet Marshall micro stack (the vintage one. It's got the gold piping and everything. It has a unique vibe to it) . I wish Marshall made something comparable to the blues jr. power and size wise. I sho nuff loves the noise the practice pair makes. (it goes out for coffee shop type stuff.)

Here's one of my favorite noises speaking of tones and the DGT:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y872ku1UnQk]YouTube - David Grissom at NAMM 2008[/ame]

2. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

A couple of things here. Firstly, a lot of the good rock players (like Page, the Young Brothers, etc) played with a lot less distortion than it might sound like at first listen. Since I've Been Lovin' You is a case in point. The intro is a lot less distorted than the first, trebly signature lick. That tells me that the neck pickup - on which he played the intro - must've had the volume backed off to clean it up a bit. But if turning your vol down makes the sound muddy, you have a problem. It was this phenomenon that caused me to re-EQ my amp for the neck pickup in the first place quite a few years ago. :thumb: Thank you uncle Jimmy. :D

Which brings me to the second thing. If your sound goes muddy when you turn down, you do need to look at your electronics. There are a number of vendors in this place that can set you up. However, the biggest single change that I heard (your MMV), was changing from modern to 50s wiring. Don't get me wrong: I like what the PIO caps did to the voice of the instrument, and good pots are better than stock, etc, etc, etc. But changing to 50s harness meant that the vol no longer turned the tone down. No mud effect. This made a huge difference to the playability of the instrument, without changing its voice at all.

3. Bluesyzep

Bluesyzep Senior Member

Is this what the RS kit is I've been hearing about? On the other hand I just went through hell and back trying to get my electronics sorted out after installing coil-splits. Can you coil-split the 50's kit?

4. Splattle101

RS is one company that offers complete electronics upgrades. People on here who've bought them seem happy. There are other vendors, too. One of our members on here, Jonesy, is another who can set you up. The people who've bought from him seem happy, too. I recommend you have a look at what these gents can offer, and then shop around because there are other players out there, too.

To answer your question about 50s wiring and coil splitting, yes, it can be done. In fact you can go the whole hog and get 50s style wiring on a 'Jimmy Page' rig, where you get coil taps and series / parallel and in /out of phase switching, too.

5. Bluesyzep

Bluesyzep Senior Member

I did look at the Jonesy JP kit awhile ago but was only looking for the coil-split at the time. I didn't consider the additional benefits of an upgrade. The bigger decision would be finding a more competent tech this time around or take the time and do it myself. Sigh.

6. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

you are safe either way. Me personally I use RS pots, Jonesy caps and I wire everything up myself... :D

7. matthornet

matthornet Senior Member

Great great post... opened my eyes on how to really make the best outta my LP. Great video of Gary Moore & BB King btw.

8. AkrW

AkrW Junior Member

:thumb: Superb post. Never underestimate the importance of gain staging on tone and dynamics. This is one of the most important things in studio recording. People should spend more time trying to maximize their skills on getting tone with what they got in their hands instead of fantasizing on their next purchases.:jam:

9. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

easier said than done :rolleyes:

10. AkrW

AkrW Junior Member

Everyday is a fight against Gearsluttiness!!!:D

11. lpcustom69

lpcustom69 Premium Member

Thanks for the informational post.

12. Goldtop75

Goldtop75 Senior Member

Great post! Sticky!!!!!!

That's actually what one of my recent threads was about.

13. tele52

tele52 Senior Member

Thank you for the info!

14. fat time

fat time Junior Member

Thank you!!!!!! Great information!!!!!

15. jimmypage24

jimmypage24 Senior Member

very useful information, thanks

16. NoStatic

NoStatic Banned

Amen.

Six posts and getting all controversial, eh? :shock:

17. NoStatic

NoStatic Banned

Leaving aside your split coil arrnagement- you can change a modern wired LP to a 1959 config in about 45 seconds,and you can change it back the same way. Check the wiring library on this board and try it before you lash out on magic kits, unobtainium pots and caps rolled on the thighs of Cuban virgins. You can buy wiring, decent pots and new caps for very little + three beers.

Here is an excellent walk through the tonal library of a Les Paul. A 1959 burst admittedly, and a damn good amp but mostly, a very good pair of hands.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_12Ler9B8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_12Ler9B8[/ame]

Snarly Goldtop likes this.
  18. DitDah

DitDah Senior Member

I never get tired of watching/hearing Glenn play. He's got a great style about him...and doesn't hurt that he's got some serious kit.

19. Splattle101

Oh, that's smokin' hot playing. :applause: Thanks for sharing that.

20. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Sorry but I tollaly get lost in that video every time I watch it. I know that I should be looking at Gary Moore's fiddling but cannot concentrate one they start dueling. That is just awesome.