How to Use the Controls on a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Splattle101, Jun 12, 2009.

1. epilespaul2000

epilespaul2000 Senior Member

This should be stickied.

2. ElhazGuy

ElhazGuy Senior Member

Wow, man!
    Thank you for your tips and for the amazing video.

3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

great thread

4. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

Excellent post, Splattle! :dude:

5. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

Splattle,

My Germino Club 40 broke me of being lazy on the guitar's volumes and tones. The amp's sound is a direct result of them, and I'm all over them. I have not tried your method of EQ'ing the amp with the neck pickup before. I tried it last night and was amazed. I can ride the tone clean or with a little hair with the neck pup's volume knob, flip to the bridge and be just screaming........or stay on the neck, run up the volume and let the rig sing.

This thread and your method has to be the single best method I've picked up since I've been on MLP. You rock! :dude:

6. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

I reckon this post has changed enough lives that it really ought to be sticky. Who's going to persuade the moderators?

Liam

7. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

That sounds like it! :thumb:

Thanks, mate. Glad it's of some use out there.

8. Cyanide

Cyanide Senior Member

I know for a fact that warren Haynes uses the middle or neck pickup for most every solo he does with Gov't Mule or the Allmans

9. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

I do 90% of solo's on the neck pickup. Love it :dude:

10. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

I also do my fair share of leads with the neck pickup.................but I've never EQ'ed the amp to the neck pickup as a baseline EQ before.

With my Germino, it works like a charm. :D

11. White

White Senior Member

I've used these volume/tone methods a while ago, whether I played at home or on stage with my band. It really worked. I especially loved to play with the guitars volume knobs, to dial in the gain/tone I needed. To my opinion, the higher the output of the pickups, the more variation in tone you can get (with your volume knobs). The pickups need to clean up well too. From raw old school classic rock tones to high gain territory with one volume knob. It's no secret, it's just how it works.

Anyway, since I'm playing rock based stuff these days I prefer a simple booster for leads instead of using the volume knobs. This has also changed the way I think about pickups, caps and pots. I care a lot less for upgrading those things, since I don't need the pickups to clean up well.

If you play blues you just can't live without the volume/(tone) knobs.

12. Bluesyzep

Bluesyzep Senior Member

Thought I would give this a try but when you say "set the neck for a good soloing tone" do you mean it should sound like the bridge or did I miss the point. Truth is amp setting are still quite a mystery to me but set my Marshall tube for clean w. gain 8, treble 7, middle 5 and bass 3. Still have a little necky sound to it. Am I on the right track or am I way off?:hmm:

13. skateboardtomygrave

skateboardtomygrave Member

I'm so glad I read this post!!! Sticky this for sure. It's been mentioned a few times in the reply's that people just look at the tone knobs to cut feedback and treble, and I'm guilty of that as well. Hell, I usually keep the volume knobs all the way up until I step away for a minute, than one gets turned all the way down to cut feed back on the amp. Not any more good sir. By the way, I'll be forwarding this to one of my good les paul junkies who for some reason hasn't found this forum...:applause::applause::applause:

14. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

No.
    Yes.
    What I meant by 'good soloing tone' is that it has enough treble and high mids to be heard through the mix. Like the sound Gary Moore uses for Still Got the Blues. The beginning and a fair bit of the solo are neck pickup sounds. So what I am getting at is that your neck pup is darker than the bridge. The sound you get with the bridge vol and tone at 10 is the brightest sound you can extract from your guitar. If you EQ your amp so the brightest possible sound you can get sounds balanced, the neck pup will be muddy. This is problem a lot of people complain about, which is why I wrote this.

With the tone control you can cut the treble. But you can't add it if it's not already there. So...

EQ your amp so it's as bright as you need it to be on the neck pup. Then your bridge will seem too bright and harsh, but you can tame that with the tone control for the bridge. That's what I meant when I said you can cut the treble, but you can't add it if it's not there.

So in its simplest terms, EQ your amp bright enough for your neck to sound good, then turn down the tone on your bridge. The rest will follow from there.

15. korus

korus Senior Member

Anyone seing a great player playing a LP using only bridge pup and not touching pots knows that great player should read your brilliant manual in order to start really using a LP. Even some so called stars do not have a clue either.

+1 for sticky!

16. Bluesyzep

Bluesyzep Senior Member

Thank you. Will try it again.:fingersx:

17. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

A very insightful read !!! I give it a 9.6 :applause::applause::applause:

18. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

Page is the reason Grissom added the separate volume controls to the DGT PRS. Here's a fine example of volume controlling.

Fine thread. I've picked up some good stuff to try. (Mostly the "EQ for the neck"!) I've got a rehearsal in a couple hours that I was gonna take the tele to. This should be innaresting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEiyGgWt6no&feature=related]YouTube - Led Zeppelin Since I've Been Loving You 1973[/ame]

19. Bluesyzep

Bluesyzep Senior Member

Funny you should post that. I've been working on SIBLY (live) for several months. I normally play with the volumes at 10 and tones at 7 switching between pickups. I think the tone was pretty good IMO but playing with Splattle's reccomendations seemed to give my Marshall tube more headroom. I have a lot more amp to work with now. I was trying it out on SIBLY again tonight and spent a whole lot of time fiddling with the volume/tone experimenting. I have to re-learn the way I've been playing. I do think I could benefit from a electronics upgrade. At least the caps.

20. ElhazGuy

ElhazGuy Senior Member

I agree entirely, man. But I'm too newbie to try and talk them right into it. :D