How to Use the Controls on a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Splattle101, Jun 12, 2009.

1. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

hell mazzy, you 3rd and i'll 4th :thumb:

2. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Never too old to try a new trick, I thought I'd see what happens if I followed this advice... Not millions of miles away from what I usually do, but enough to make a difference. I actually cheated a bit and rolled the tone control off a tiny bit on the neck pickup while I was setting up the amp tone controls.

Splattle, you're a legend! Really getting into the BBRI, Powerbrake and R9 with OTPs, RS Superpots and real bees. Couple of gigs this weekend and had a real killer tone (rhythm intros on the bridge pickup with all the controls up was razor sharp and warm at the same time, but removed the tops of people's heads! Neck pickup just sublime...) More and more into using the controls interactively now, pedals still get used, but not half as much.

Lot's of good stuff to be had around these settings - I'm loving it. Like the switch from bridge for rhythm to both pickups for lead with this. The MXR Dynacomp loves all this stuff, getting different attack and tone without changing the volume too much. Quite like bridge on 50% and neck on 75% too. Mellow and warm with some bite.

Thanks again for the brief tutorial, definitely set this "old dog" in a new direction.

Liam

3. BluesLover

BluesLover Senior Member

I can't tell you how much this has helped me! Thank you so much! I have a Fender Blues junior and the low end can sound pretty farty and muddy. I eq'ed the amp for the neck pickup and set the tone and volume controls how you said. It improved the tone of my overdrive so much! It went from farty and muddy to creamy and smooth! Now granted it still sounds a little farty because of the small cabinet, but it still sounds WAY better. Thanks so much dude! :thumb:

+5 on stickying this! This thread can help so many people!

4. boycey

boycey Senior Member

Excellent post Splattle.
    I must be playing about 15 years now and I dont think I have ever EQ'd for the neck p'up. DOH!!! I look forward to trying this at the weekend when I get rid of the wife and kids for a few hours.
    :applause: :applause: :applause:

5. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Thanks all. I'm glad it is / was of some use.

Oberin27 likes this.
  6. Pink_Floyd

Pink_Floyd Senior Member

I always thought that people tended to use the neck for Rhythm and the bridge for lead? Obviously it is not a hard and fast rule.

7. siore

siore Senior Member

Why not a woody neck tone for leads? Or creamy rhythm comps from the bridge pickup? :naughty:

Les pauls are so nice. Lots of tones, so little time. :dude:

8. Pink_Floyd

Pink_Floyd Senior Member

Agreed, sometimes I am guilty of sticking to the manual rather than going with the flow. Time for a change :slash:

9. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

i was watching freebird the movie, and i'm sure gary rossington switched to neck for some solos. sounded ace

10. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

There are many examples of neck pickup solos. Have a listen to Shine On You Crazy Diamond. I don't care what kind of guitar it was played on, it had a healthy dose of neck pickup involved.

...any number of Cream songs...

...Blackmore with Purple (yes, it was a strat, but still neck a lot of the time)

...what about the intro to Since I've Been Lovin You? And most of the verses...

...what about Gary Moore and Still Got the Blues?!!??!! I mean, really. Neck pickup for rhythm only? I don't think so...

[EDIT]Sorry if this post seems a bit negative or garoul...garrou...gar...argumentative. I just got back from the pub...watching hot young girls bending over and groaning...:naughty:[END EDIT]

[EDIT 2]That'd be the TENNIS, you depraved sods!! Whatever did you think I meant??!![END EDIT 2]

11. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

lol

what time is it? drinkin late, youth!

12. Jonno_aus

Jonno_aus Junior Member

Man, I'm loving this. I'm using the neck pickup now for all my solo's. Who would've thought!

I'm liking the extra creamy, thicker tone I get on the solo's. Then use the bridge for the rhythm adjusting the tone so it isnt so brittle. Dunno why but I seem to like a trebley kinda rhythm.

Good stuff.

13. mattymel

mattymel Senior Member

Splattle's original post is right on the money big +1!

14. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

If i´m not mistaken Gary Moore has that famous Peter Green out of phase setup on that guitar making that nasal sound:)
    Thanks for a great thread:thumb:
    I use my volume and tone knobs a "little" but never thought to use them this much:applause:
    Pressing "PRINT" and heading for the amp and guitar;)

15. Fuelish

Fuelish Senior Member

I hate the bridge tone on my LP .... I tend to use neck or both, maybe use bridge for rhythm (with the volume and tone knob backed off....) The other 2 positions (middle and neck) sound so sweet, the bridge is just ugly, to me. But I do enjoy spinning the knobs and experimenting - switching from the stock knobs to speeders helps on-the-fly-adjustments, as it can be done with a brush of the finger - the oem Epi knobs seemed to require deliberate grabbing with 2 fingers, at least on mine .... too much like work ;)

16. severalwills1

severalwills1 Member

This is extremely obvious but :slash: has alot of neck position solos :dude:

17. ozone

ozone Senior Member

18. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

this is great

19. klextacy

klextacy Junior Member

Great thread, guys! I'm a habitual tone/volume fiddler.. it's crucial to obtaining great varied tones on a Les Paul.

And a big +1 to using the neck pup for leads. Listen to John Norum and John Sykes as well. They get some AWESOME smooth lead tones using the neck pickups.

20. latomas

latomas Member

Definately something I would have never thought about, good stuff.