how to spot fake epis

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by lp junior freak, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Big_dawg

Big_dawg Senior Member

I was delving around inside 2 epis last night, both are legit bought by my from very reputably dealers, some of the things I noticed:

the paint inside the cavity looks like it was applied by a 2 year old!
    neither sets of guitars pots had alpha on them
    both the bridge and tailpiece had epiphone cast into them
    neither tail piece or bridge could just fall off they were both 'locked' in place (when the strings were removed)
    Only one set of pick ups had epiphone on the reverse

These were on a 2007 Custom and 2007 SG

2. Big_dawg

Big_dawg Senior Member

Hey I never thought of that, especially when gibson & epi go on about the extortionate cost of retooling for left handed guitars..

I knew there was another advantage to being a southpaw:applause:

3. ninny404

ninny404 Senior Member

Ok, I may have to eat my words. I've found like two, still nothing compaired to this mass production of righty fakes

4. McVeyMac

McVeyMac Senior Member

Hey Ninny, MyMusia has 3 leftys for sale. You can pretty much bet that these are fakes. Your in luck though, they are all Gibson LPs for $250.00 or under. By the way, I sent Gibson customer service the mymusia link. I doubt if there is anything they can do about it.

5. McVeyMac

McVeyMac Senior Member

Thanks for the info Big Dawg. It is clear that there are variations in epis. Mine was, according to the SN, manufactured in Sept. 2007. I think that the only way to tell for sure is to have a dealer check it out. I have removed the input jack and there is no "Epiphone" to be found anywhere on it. Is this part of epi's normal variance or is it definitive proof? I just cannot say. I better get the pro to evaluate.

6. McVeyMac

McVeyMac Senior Member

Thanks all of you for your help. I took the guitar to the local Gibson/Epiphone dealer and asked them if they would evaluate it, that I suspected it was counterfeit. The store manager told me that he would not want to go on record with an evaluation, but that he would certainly look at it and give me an opinion (free of course, and you get what you pay for). I handed it too him and he looked it over front, back, sides, neck, body, headstock and handed it back to me and said "It's an Epiphone." The owner came out of the office and overheard a bit of our conversation. The Manager told him what was going on, and the owner said that he would look at it as well. He did the same thing, looked at me and said "it's an Epiphone." I started talking about all of the components that are often stamped Epiphone, and they both said in unison "not always." It is clear to me that one way Epiphone keeps costs down is by purchasing least cost electronic components that meet their specifications. Pots being installed one week may not be equal to pots being installed the next week, and so on. This is not true for Gibson, but you pay for this consistently good component in a Gibson.

The seller has made inquiries with Gibson as to the authenticity. I will wait to see what they say as I would like the option to sell this in the future as an Epiphone. But to be honest, the fit and finish is just as good as an Epiphone, and if I upgrade the electronics, I will have a very pretty, screaming guitar regardless of who made it.

7. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Well if you've got people already backing it up as a legit, then rock on! Like you said, you'll have a screaming guitar still...

8. Electric Bison

Electric Bison Senior Member

Hey guys, Just sign'd up to the forum so Hi to yall...

About those "fakes" Lp's floating around, especially on the bay.

I'm a big Epiphone user, I believe it's a cheap way to get a variety of decent value guitars for those on a budget or just not in a position where they could throw a few grands on a single piece. Some of them even sound pretty damn good even compared to a Gibson. I'm in no way saying they're as good but you get my point.
    I recently bought an Epi lp Custom from a seller on the bay, a decent price but not cheap enought to build suspitions. After receiving the guitar, I had to pay another 100€ for customs, and that's where I got pissed off, since it increased the price to the one applied in any music store. It is after unpacking and testing the guitar that I realized the Epiphone documentation (labels etc...) were in fact as fake as the "Best Actor" Oscar in my living room. I immediatly suspected the guitar to be a fake as well, even thou' I didn't notice anything unusual appart from the bad settings, that most genuine Epiphones come with anyway. After some back and forth and some agressive threat to report him to Ebay as a counterfeit reseller, the seller, a young man based in Italy explained that he was only a middle man for some china based dealer. He eventually refound the money at the sole condition that I wouldn't report him, since he "truely believed" those guitars where genuine. But I was still quiet amazed by the great finish and really decent sound of the guitar for being a cheap knock off. So I ran a serial number check on The Guitar Dater Project and the guitar came back as genuine, built in china in 2008.
    I think rather than being just counterfeit guitars, most of those are actually genuine Epiphones rather taken from the factory or built outside the factory but with genuine Epiphone parts. The fact they escape Epiphone's control over them makes them technically fake. Since everything is made there it's quiet hard to tell the fake from the genuine.

Ok that was a long post but it's my 1st... :dude:

9. PuroRock

PuroRock Senior Member

Bro, if they're fake, they're fake.
    Forget Guitar Dater... a counterfeiter can steal a valid Serial Number and slap it on a fake guitar. Post pics of your guitar and the guys here can tell you what's what.

10. BlessedSuicide

BlessedSuicide Senior Member

11. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Dude, that's not correct. I'll say it once more for those who still don't know (you're new, so you are forgiven :D), guitardater doesn't verify the genuity of an Epiphone guitar, it only breaks down the serial#. Guitardater is NOT a database with serial numbers of genuine guitars.

Welcome to MLP, by the way!

Oh, one more question. Where in Europe do you live that you had to pay customs for a guitar that was purchased in another European country? :hmm:

12. Electric Bison

Thanks!

And yes I knew guitar dater wasn't like an official source but at least it's out there, since Gibson don't really bother getting back to you for Epiphones, at least not always. However I'm pretty sure it's a knock off after checking the thread on how to spot a fake II (thanks for the lnk btw blessedsuicide), the head looks ok but the pots aren't aligned, compared to a korean classic "birdseye" I have right here.

The seller was from Italy. However, the guitar came straight from China. Guitar was sent to me in Paris France at the time.

13. -=[Shifty]=-

So, you bought the guitar from Italy but it was shipped from China and that's why you had to pay customs?
    That alone would be reason enough for me to cause that seller some serious trouble.

14. Electric Bison

Well like I said the guy did refund the guitar. In the end, I paid 100€ for customs , which is cheaper than an average bad LP and I gotta say it ain't that bad at all. Maybe I can sell it for cheap or I can turn it into some prototype, rather ruin a 100€ axe than a 500€...

15. newguysguitar

newguysguitar Junior Member

hi all, i'm new to the forum and have arrived here whilst searching for the details of a guitar that is being offered to me for sale. i am keen to establish the origins of this guitar, but i am also weary of posting pics because i do not want to be seen to doubt the sellers word. much more than this guitar rides on it! lol. most important of all, the guitar does play really nicely and sounds an absolute dream, but i'd like to know. would anyone good with these serial numbers mind pm'ing me and taking a look at some pics?
    many thanks,

16. Comokanu

Comokanu Senior Member

Sent Visitor message, dunno how to use the PM thingy.

17. -=[Shifty]=-

Dude, could you please stop to "determine authenticity" of guitars while you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about? :rolleyes:
    Thanks!
    His guitar is perfectly fine.

18. Heavy Magic

Heavy Magic Junior Member

Hello All

I'm a first timer with a Question
    I am looking at buying an Epiphone Les Paul LTD
    plays and sounds incredible has slim neck.

I cannot find any info on the serial # I6081992

any thoughts

thanks in advance

HM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

What does he say caused the D-string peg to be cock-eyed? And is that a big gouge by that tuner? Has this thing been dropped?

Never mind fakery for the moment. How much is he asking for this? It seems to be damaged goods.

20. Heavy Magic

Heavy Magic Junior Member

it is my roommate's
    I learned on it a few years ago
    it has sat in the corner and he never plays it
    i Liked the way it sounded so I thought I would look into it
    asking $400