how to spot fake epis

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by lp junior freak, Sep 6, 2007.

1. McVeyMac

McVeyMac Senior Member

Hi Guys, Great info here.

I recently received a Epi Les Paul Custom from a seller on ebay. This seller was US, good feedback, reasonable shipping and told me that the guitar was legit, and if I found it not to be legit, they would refund my money and shipping both ways. The serial number checked out. See the listing here:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Authorized By Gibson Black - eBay (item 150239896642 end time May-01-08 16:30:00 PDT)

I was also inquiring with what turned out to be a Chinese ebay seller about an Epi LP Slash and got some photos (attached). Check out the fantastic deals on his web site. MyMusia. You can get a Gibson LP for $259.00.

Notice that the attached photo of the Standard Slash has the same SN as the Black Custom on the ebay listing. The guitar dater project website accepts this number as either a Custom or a Standard with the same result. I assume this feature of the algorithm is not functional or there are no data concerning the model this SN was manufactured under.

I received the Custom guitar from the ebay seller and I am pretty pleased, but I am not certain it is legit. It does have a US inspection sticker on it, tag and user manual, cord and trussrod allen wrench, but the trussrod cover has "Les Paul" "Custom" painted on it with very poor quality in the letters. It is almost as if it moved during either silk screening or painting whichever method was used. I guess a genuine Epi could also have this minor flaw slip through as well, but I am suspicious. The ebay seller is working with Gibson to try to resolve the authenticity of this guitar, but I may have to take it to the local shop to be absolutely sure. Any thoughts any of you have would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Take it to the shop I'd say. MyMusia is chocked full of fakes - no one sells blatant terrible knockoff Gibsons and legit Epis at the same time, IMO.

Welcome to the forum!

3. ninny404

ninny404 Senior Member

Some of the easiest ways are checking the stamps on the guitar.. The pickups and input jack will both say Epiphone on them. The control cavity and toggle switch cavity will be painted black. Lastly, there will be a quick connect in the control cavity for the toggle switch and input jack.

You can also check the pots as most will have "Alpha" stamped on them. If they don't, don't freak out, my Korean Epiphone doesn't but my Chinese one does. Could just be that the new Chinese factories use the Alpha pots as the Korean factories didn't.. I wouldn't know too much about that though

4. McVeyMac

McVeyMac Senior Member

Hey thanks for the info here guys. I did remove the covers and it is painted black on the inside for both the pots and the switch cavities. The quality of the cavity paint job is not great, but I suspected that it was a shielding paint. The pots do have something stamped on them but I do not remember if it says "Alpha" or something else. Do the pickups say Epiphone on the back? An earlier post showed pickups with no stamp and the person was told that it did not mean anything. I will check the input jack for a stamp as well as the switch for quick connects.

I must say that the seller has been extremely resonable concerning this. If it goes badly, I do not anticipate any problems with them. This is why I bid on it in the first place as I had this assurance from them.

5. kjlugo

kjlugo Senior Member

MyMusia

They have an Epiphone Slash signature for $249??....must be a fake rigth?....it looks pretty good in the pictures though.

6. McVeyMac

McVeyMac Senior Member

I would say everything on this site (MyMusia) is a fake. Instead of the Epi Slash for $249.00, why not upgrade to the Gibson for $259.00 for a real deal. But there is another furm for Gibson lovers.

7. kjlugo

kjlugo Senior Member

wow!....lol....you're right.....the prices are ridiculously cheap.

8. Eggy

Eggy Senior Member

9. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Thats how it should be. If you're an honest seller and really wants to prove that its legit, you will go all out and make it known that it IS legit and there's nothing to doubt..

The pictures of the parts with the engraved Epiphone is a very good plus for the seller.

10. McVeyMac

McVeyMac Senior Member

Hey Ninny,

All of my pots say "SEM" on them, and then a number as well. I cannot read the numbers all as some have soldering accross them. The input jack does not say piphone. I will not take the pickup out as I think I need to have a dealer verify what I think I already know. Thanks all for your help.

11. ninny404

ninny404 Senior Member

Well best of luck.. hope for your sake it's just paranoia

12. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Is it just me or have they used a different font for the serials? :confused:

13. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

I've seen real Gibson USA Les Pauls with smeared or otherwise defective 'Les Paul Model' logos.
    Your new Epiphone appears authentic from the photos you have posted. Keep in mind that Epiphone guitars come from various factories, and one may or may not be nearly identical to another of the same model.
    I keep wondering why guys buy a guitar BEFORE asking for advice!

14. McVeyMac

McVeyMac Senior Member

I would not have bought if the seller had not guaranteed the guitar 100% plus shipping both ways if it turned out to be fake. I will soon know if the seller is telling the truth.

15. dawn_dew

dawn_dew Member

16. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

The input jack?

17. dawn_dew

dawn_dew Member

then what about the one before the cavity shot?

18. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Probably just showing the strap pin?

19. dawn_dew

dawn_dew Member

but it has wires attached to it.

im just trying to see what parts have epiphone on them, so i can check them with mine. lol

20. dave

dave Senior Member

Toggle switch.