how to spot fake epis

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by lp junior freak, Sep 6, 2007.

1. lp junior freak

lp junior freak V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

i was wondering how to spot a fake epi anyone know???? i can spat a gibby fake but not an epi :thumb:

2. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I don't believe I've ever seen a fake Epi. Usually the fakes are of higher end guitars. The fakes are from China, and are similar to Epiphones from what I've read. I don't know why a counterfieter would copy a $500 Epiphone, all they would be able to sell it for would be $500. It doesn't make any sense. Unless it were an Elitist, even then there selling price would not be as much as some more expensive guitars.

3. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Scozz I do not know how to spot fakes , but I do know how to spot old friends.:wave: How are you , turned pro- golfer yet. Still using stock pups in that Dot of yours. do I have to say IMO here as well LOL:thumb:

4. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Whass up slinger???? Nice to hear from you!! I see you found this nice forum too. Yeah I still got the stock pickups in my Dot, I have to, YOU told me, and everybody else that Epi pups were fine!! lol. It really is good to hear from you, hope all is well with you. I guess I'll be seeing you around here, thats cool! IMO.

5. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Slinger ??? never heard of that guy LOL good to see you are here as well:applause:
    Seems like a great forum to be involved with. Not much new on my end, getting ready for Winter, you wouldn't know what that is like would you.LOL

6. overdriver

overdriver Banned

As far as fakes go I suppose ,if they are really good fakes a person couldn't tell. Things to look for would be out of place logos serial #s that are funny or missing. But then again serial #s can be or look legit. The best way to tell if a purchase being made on line, is fake or not, might be to post a pic. for members to look at. The best way to buy a real Epi is to get one from a authorised dealer.

7. lp junior freak

lp junior freak V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

well ive been into guitars for a while know ive always seen fake gibson info just wonderin i have several epis and I always go to guitar center to purches my better guitars so scozz and overdriver how long have u been members ???:thumb:

8. overdriver

overdriver Banned

I have just joined this month, just found out about this great forum . Have been playing since 68 :hippie:, I am 54. Have been kicking around other forums and do use some others as well. I have never heard of any definitive things to look for which help a person spot a fake Epi, except for obvious out of place things and serial #s or weird difference. A lot of talk on fakes at the Epi forum do a search if you like. But IMO no hard and fast rules of thumb other than what I have already talked of. Cheers:wave:

9. Snakebite Music

Snakebite Music Member

guys, before you slander Epi fakes... be sure the fakes aren't better than the Epis! lol...

As silly as it seems., copies nowadays are made exceptionally well!

10. overdriver

overdriver Banned

:shock:Snakebite:Was that joke ? LOL don't get it man :)or 500 bucks for a set of newly manufactured pups LOL Though Gibson owners could consider any Epi LP a fake ,IMO the same can be said of anything less than Gibson VOS LP models.at best:shock:

11. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Greetings lp junior freak,...I too have been on other forums for a while like overdriver, and I am new to this one. I am 51 years old and have been playing since 1968 also. (wow! too much in common with overdriver, lol)

Hey overdriver,...you sound a bit jealous, lol. I have only lived in Florida for a little over a year. I lived all of my previous years in Connecticut, so I am well aware of winter living. I had enough of it, so here I am in sunny Florida. I have a picture in my kitchen of myself shoveling 2 feet of snow off my deck in Connecticut just to remind myself. Last January and February when it was 70 degrees here, I would watch the news from up north and see everyone digging out in freezing tempertures!! It was great! This winter I'll be thinking of you! lol, lol

12. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Go ahead laugh you ,you ****** ****I cant say it I be banned, Hope a Gator eats your left hand, LOL Take care you lucky Bastard.:rofl:

13. Simmy

Simmy Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I'm a newbie...
    just bought an Epi Les Paul Custom online and was wondering what the serial number should look like?
    i dont think its a fake.. but would like to confirm it you know... i'd be spewin if it was. mind u it plays awesome, looks hot and sounds sweet.
    the only reason i have to believe it might not be is that another person who bought from the same guy believes his could be.
    Thanks

14. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

I forgot how many numbers its supposed to have since I'm at work now, but it should go like EE07012345 or something like that?

The Guitar Dater Project - Epiphone Serial Number Decoder

Type your serial against the site to check whether it matches. But the site isn't accurate since serials can also be replicated.

A picture of the guitar would help alot.

15. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

Making fake Epiphones would rank just below counterfeit pennies.

16. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Lol. Ok but I do have one question. My epi custom does have its insides sprayed black! I'll post pictures when I actually have time to take them.

But I bought the guitar new from Ishibashi and had it shipped. I don't doubt its authenticity and it does play great, but I do wonder why it was painted black, to hide the low grade woods used probably?.

This was the picture before they sent the guitar, had her for a couple months now and just changed to a graphite nut and considering electric upgrades and pickup change.

[​IMG]

It was an EE serial btw.

17. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

The black paint is shielding paint.

18. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Agreed, Geesh Anybody who tried this woul surely be a bunch of sandwich's shy of a picnic basket :wtf:

19. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

This will come as a shock to many of you I guess, but there was a problem w/ fake Epi's being sold in Korea while they were being produced there. Gibson/Epiphone had a press release of some sort on the Epi website a while back after someone had found that their "Epiphone" LP had a particle board body. I was stationed in Korea at this time, and bought a number of "unlicensed" legitimate Epiphone guitars that had come out the "back door" of the Unsung factory where they were being made. So... FYI - there ARE "fake" as well as "unlicensed" Epiphone guitars out there...

20. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member