How To record Using Rocksmith Cable!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Seceded, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Seceded

Seceded Senior Member

As i don't have a mic to make a video explaining the steps you have to do on the computer ill make a picture Guide.:thumb:

What You'll need:
    Rocksmith cable
    Guitar
    Mixcraft 5.2

Step 1.
    Plug cable into Guitar then plug cable into usb port on computer
    Step 2
    Open Mixcraft, Select Record Yourself or Band
    [​IMG]
    Step 3
    Go to where it says audio track 1 and you'll see a downward pointing arrow click it.
    [​IMG]
    Step 4
    Select Rocksmith USB Guitar Adapter Then select Right Channel. Then it'll "Arm" Audio track 1 to record (When it turns red it is armed.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Step 5
    Go to audio Track 2 and repeat process only this time Select left channel

Now both should be red like so (they are both ready to record):
    [​IMG]

Now you're probably wondering if my guitar is plugged right into the computer i can only get clean tones? Don't worry Mixcraft has you covered.:thumb:

Step 6
    Go to Audio track 1 and click the button that says "FX" A little box will appear.
    [​IMG]
    Step 7
    click where it says "select an effect" Choose "Shred amp Simulator"
    [​IMG]
    Step 8
    You can choose a preset but you can also edit current presets by clicking the button that says "Edit" And another window will open that will look like an amp head.
    [​IMG]
    Here you can edit Amp setting, room Shape/size, Cabinet, mic distance and cab pan, and effects and in the presets there's multiple amp heads to choose from.
    [​IMG]
    Step 9 choose an amp head cabinet and effect you want and adjust accordingly by first recording a simple track, and keep replaying it while adjusting the amp setting.

Step 10 Open audio track 2 "FX and do the same thing adjust the setting on both amps the same or as close as possible (this is to get the best possible sound.) Then just move the windows of the amps out of the way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then you're ready to record, Click the red circle and record a small track to see if the amps sounds how you want it. (To stop recording click red square.)If it doesn't right click the track you recorded and delete.(Do it to both tracks) and re-adjust both amps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then reset the timeline back to zero by clicking on the small yellow flag at the top.
    [​IMG]
    And keep re-doing until amp sounds how you want it to. Then once it sounds how you want record what you want to record! And if you like your preset makesure to save it by going back to the amp sim and click the floppy disc in the top right. Then once every thing is good and recorded edit as you would like.:thumb:
    Short clip to show you guys how it sounds.(im positive you can get it to sound a lot better though.)
    [SC]http://soundcloud.com/seceded/hydrawlixseceded[/SC]
    :thumb:

Lampens, dukeryder, River and 5 others like this.
  2. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Cool writeup and it's nice to see a fellow ABG user in the forum :thumb:

Seceded likes this.
  3. Seceded

Seceded Senior Member

abg?

4. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

ABG = Acme Bargig. They're the ones who build the Shred amp sim in your pics.

5. Blooterboots

Blooterboots Member

I use vista 32 operating system which doesnt have stereomix or what-u-hear, is there a way around this ?

6. 6stringer

6stringer Senior Member

I believe 'stereo mix' is disabled in Vista by default. You have to enable it in Control Panel. See if this link helps you:

How to enable sound recording from your system in Windows Vista

7. Dustinp

Dustinp Member

can you use this with another recording program, like sony acid or audacity?

8. b3john

b3john Senior Member

Yup, the Rocksmith cable is just a standard 1/4" to USB interface, pretty much any other standards-compliant DAW (digital audio workstation) software will work -- Windows or Mac.

The day I picked up Rocksmith I tried this on my Mac and it worked out-of-the-box with Garageband, Logic, and AmpliTube on OSX.

Kudos to Ubisoft for using completely standards compliant hardware.

9. Dustinp

Dustinp Member

+1. It's cheaper than the alesis guitarlink too, which is pretty much the same thing. Now off to best buy to pick up a few of them tomorrow :)

10. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Nice tutorial, but the sound is terrible.

11. Seceded

Seceded Senior Member

Figured out how to get Guitar rig into Mixcraft So i'll have to add to the tutorial later but heres a sound clip using Guitar rig.
    [SC]http://soundcloud.com/seceded/samplez[/SC]

12. broke_player

broke_player Senior Member