how to record on tape

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Username1, Jul 23, 2012.

1. yeti

yeti Senior Member

dirtcheap IMO and it requires a DSP core that lets you run other wonderful UAD plugins as well. You're getting a maintenance-free Studer A 800 that doesn't need expensive tape and for a litt;e more youcan get the equivalent of an entire room full of racks loaded with great classic processing in perfect condition.

2 people like this.
  2. babatube

babatube Senior Member

the radar is a wonderful machine.
    werent they made by otari?:hmm:

3. yeti

yeti Senior Member

It's really not about what I prefer at all. When it was all tapebased I recorded and engineered in studios ranging from what was then considered higher end project studios ( you'd find a Fostex E 16 or a Tascam MS 16 in those) to professional with an Otari MTR 90 or something like that, no Studers, 3M's or the like and no engineering staff to keep it all working properly. Those machines are now touted as superior tools to DAWs on various forums that cater to a homerecording audience and that's just plain nonsense. Yes, they will impart certain artifacts onto the signal and that's cool but it can all be had in the digital domain as well.
    It's like saying a Danelectro is a pro-level guitar. yes, it sounds "cool" and in the right hands it works perfectly but you can't call it a tool, you wouldn't take it to an audition, unless you're auditioning for Tom Waits, it's more of a gimmick.

4. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Yes, they were originally made by Otari. IZ still makes them.

5. kaatwang

kaatwang Senior Member

I had a studio internship in the late 80's. I only did 3 jobs in that studio: Dump ash trays, get food, and aligning the GD Studer 24 trk machines! I think that is why I have a phobia towards test tones, oscilloscopes, and oscillators.
    They are definitely a lot of work to get them set up. But just like driving a stickshift you can drive almost anything once you learn how.
    I love splicing tape.

2 people like this.
  6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Actually, all music is about subjective tastes, and different people prefer different tones. What is to you "better" is to someone else "worse." Don't like it? Don't worry, you'll live.

I have my reasons for my preferences. Whether you agree with me or not doesn't really concern me.

7. Username1

Username1 Senior Member

this is something i would consider if i had a desktop but right now i'm just working with a bottom rung mac book pro, i don't really want to fvck with it and it's sound cards

Virtual Tape Machines - Slate Digital

saw this plugin, seems right up my alley-- i can't wait to demo some of these, however my interface broke and i returned it and am awaiting my new one, they will take forever, fvcking hate this shop (at least i was able to upgrade from a 2 xlr/ 2 1/4 to a 8 xlr 2 1/4 firewire)

1 person likes this.
  8. yeti

yeti Senior Member

It's funny because I usually argue both sides of issues like this. When someone insists that one side of the argument has it all figured out ( vintage vs new guitars, vinyl vs digital audio, tube amps vs modeling, etc.) I just feel compelled to play devil's advocate.

1 person likes this.
  9. Username1

Username1 Senior Member

I actually like modeling better, i mean an electric signal is an electric signal right, whether it's modeling DI (they've been doing DI albeit mostly bass since the beatles right?) or through an amp. And my tube amp isn't very versatile and kind of muddy, also like the fact you can change the tone if it's not your cup of tea at the end of a mix with modeling plug ins, and i don't even have any high end ones, just a free one

10. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

Slate or Waves, you can't go wrong.

1 person likes this.
  11. Thumpalumpacus

Except that, as you'll see if you read my posts here, I'm not saying one side has it all figured out (and certainly not saying that I do), which is why I'm confused by you acting as if I'm being didactic.

As I've said already in this thread, there are benefits to both setups, and when I go back into recording it will almost certainly be a digital setup. That should be a clear-enough indicator that I have a pretty open mind about these things.

We haven't really conversed too much, you and I, but I'm not known for stodgy traditionalism around here. Those clothes are much too small to fit me. But Dylan had asked about recording with tape, so I gave my opinion on that topic. :thumbs:

1 person likes this.
  12. Username1

Username1 Senior Member

Thump let's make a record, get Daniel and all the other Ventura county folks on it, we will do a mixture of tape and digital :thumb:

2 people like this.
  13. Thumpalumpacus

And Muddy -- don't forget him!

1 person likes this.
  14. Username1

Username1 Senior Member

Of course! Liberty (butch) lives in LA i'm sure he'd want in on it too-- i'd have to play the keys i'm waaaay rusty on the 6 strings (irony being i post here damn near everyday haha)

1 person likes this.
  15. Thumpalumpacus

Yeah, Butch too. And Steve ... I wanna meet him 'cause he's as ornery as me. :laugh2:

16. Username1

Username1 Senior Member

They have a philly MLP meet we should do one, there's plenty of use ornery so cal folks, i bet it would be epic

17. Username1

Username1 Senior Member

[​IMG]

can't do that with pro tools :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  18. bscenefilms

bscenefilms Premium Member

19. martin H

martin H Senior Member

I gave one of these away in 1995 because of the space it was taking up. If he get's that price, I'll be very suprised