How To Measure Pickup DC Resistance

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by matt@msscguitar, Feb 12, 2014.

1. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Compared to the 8 or more kOhm of the pickup, the resistance of the wire is very, very small. The wire is probably below 1 Ohm resistance, so you can ignore that.

1 person likes this.
  2. oildrops

oildrops Junior Member

I just installed new pots and pickups. The neck sounds full output, but the SD SH-5 in the bridge sounds like it's not getting the full output. I measure 13.5k for the SH-5 (duncan states Bridge: 14.1 k). Could there be a short somewhere, or does this seem normal? Could there be a grounding issue somewhere and still get the correct resistance reading?

3. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar www.MSSCGuitar.com Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Could be an issue with the switch, but if possible, post a pic of the electronics cavity so we can see if anything looks suspect.

Also, the difference from 13.5K to 14.1K could be the temperature at the time of metering. That doesn't raise any flags with me at all.

4. oildrops

oildrops Junior Member

I posted a pic in this thread http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/lut...nstalling-new-pots-could-use-some-advice.html, but posted in the luthier forum by accident. I just checked through all the wiring and tugged on every wire to check to cold joints. I unhooked the tone pot from the bridge pickup, which made no difference. I checked the lugs on the switch, and made sure they weren't touching. I re-soldered the pickup hot and ground, and the bent lugs on the pots. The only thing I can think of that I didn't check is where I grounded all the shielding together for the switch. I can't access it unless I de-solder everything because I didn't leave myself enough slack, so I was leaving that as a last resort.

5. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

14.1k in parallel with two 500k pots (volume and tone) is supposed to become 13.347k.

Here is a useful tool to check it if necessary: PARALLEL RESISTOR CALCULATOR

So, if the SH5 has a problem of output, it's apparently not a question of grounding. :hmm:

6. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar www.MSSCGuitar.com Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

7. Wraptail

Wraptail Senior Member

Great point that isn't mentioned often.

8. peanutavalon

peanutavalon Senior Member

I just did my cc les paul bridge only using the already wired method..it read 7.77.

Then I did my benchmark ro using the same method...it read 4.04. I realize the benchmark runs have the lower output E buckers but that is a substantial difference to me. The funny thing is the E buckers are just as loud and more articulate.....Any input on this one guys? thanks

edit...never mind..someone suggested putting my cable in the guitar input...solved the problem and the pickups read 7.34.