How To Improve?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by WholeLottaIzzy, Nov 3, 2014.

1. WholeLottaIzzy

WholeLottaIzzy Senior Member

Guitar lessons are awesome. This teacher is so in line with what I want to achieve. He's trying to encourage me to be myself and not Paul Kossoff. I think in some ways, the last two years of obsessing and learning everything Koss has done has opened my eyes to a new way of playing, but I think it's also hindered me. I no longer think I always sound the same. I've come to realise I sound like me and it's the development of my style. He's trying to help my confidence as well. I am very confident in what I can eventually achieve, but not confident with how I am now. He said because of my skill level, ambition and commitment, I'm his most challenging student by far.

Hopefully with enough lessons behind me by May, I'll be able to hold my own at the MLP Bridport jam.

2 people like this.
  2. WholeLottaIzzy

These guitar lessons are blowing my freakin' mind, man. I'm gonna get round to doing a different recording soon. I'm a whole different player. I've introduced the major second and the minor sixth to my playing and it's getting very close to how I want to sound. I feel as though I'm closer to not seeing the guitar neck as a series of scales, but note choices. And I'm definitely starting to play the right notes in the right places. I'm actually starting to become a good guitarist! I can't believe the improvement I've made since I started them three weeks ago. Anyway, just an excited update. I'll try get a video sorted soon!

2 people like this.
  3. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

Awesome!! Glad to hear this is working so well for you. Looking forward to hearing and seeing a new video.

1 person likes this.
  4. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

The things I stress to my students are the 4 "Ts"----tone,touch,taste,and timing.I will actually limit them to 5 notes from the Am pentatonic scale (D & G strings--G,A,C,D,D bent to E) and turn them loose.
    Then I focus on the "decorations"---vibrato,pulls,hammers,slides,dynamics,ect.This is what will give them their fingerprint and phrasing.
    Good luck,sounds like things are opening up! :thumb:

3 people like this.
  5. WholeLottaIzzy

Things are definitely getting better. I didn't think I could improve this fast this far into my playing. I knew I could improve loads, but I thought it'd be tiny steps over a long period of time.

6. WholeLottaIzzy

Well I've now had nearly four months of lessons. I definitely think I've improved. Been focusing on arpeggios mainly. I'm just starting to get the hang of it. I'll do another video soon hopefully and maybe I can hear some improvement.

1 person likes this.
  7. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Your favorite styles (the ones that grab your soul)-----
    Listen.......listen again.
    Listen,again.Many,many,many times.
    Absorb....put YOUR feel on top of these styles.
    At first,you will copy licks note for note---that's cool a cat named Clapton did the same!
    As you add your ideas to your influences you will get your personal fingerprint.

8. WholeLottaIzzy

As I said I would a week or so ago, probably more, here is another video.

This is after four months of guitar lessons. If you haven't watched the first video, watch that then watch this one.

I feel there is a definite improvement. I sound a lot more melodic. I think this is due to me trying to use arpeggios instead of just scales. I go more towards scales at the end of the video.
    My phrasing seems much more together and in parts, it seems to flow much easier, although there are a few bits that still showed a lack of confidence. I took your advice and turned the backing track up, that helped me lose myself a bit more and relax.
    I think the timing is a lot better, although I recognise that improvement is still needed.
    Also something else I've just realised, is I need to work on playing quieter in parts and louder in others. Varying the volume will help a lot I think.

All in all, I am chuffed and feel as though my guitar lessons are really helping me become a member better guitarist and more importantly, helping me find an identity within my own playing. I've always wanted to sound like me and I feel I'm starting to get there. This was recorded on the first take, completely improvised with nothing planned at all. Therefore, I think this is a good representation of where my playing is currently at.

Feedback (especially with the first video in mind) would be greatly appreciated!

9. WholeLottaIzzy

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcDDQxzhNWE[/ame]

1 person likes this.