How to do a Silver Sparkle Finish?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Rut9er, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Rut9er

Rut9er Junior Member

Can someone tell me how to do a silver sparkle finish like in the picture below?
    [​IMG]

I figured out some of the steps:
    1) Sand to 220 grit and fill the grain with grain filler
    2) ??? Spray a nitro black colour coat - not sure about this step. I've read somewhere that you have to spray a white or black base coat or something before spraying the sparkle coat because it pops out the colour.
    3) Spray Glitter blast Krylon spray paint
    4) ??? Put on a clear coat - not sure about this step. Is this step necessery?

I would be really happy if someone could help me with this, show me the steps and the right products etc.

This will be my first guitar finish so i need every help i can ;)

2. Tenafly Vipers

Tenafly Vipers Senior Member

Uhm, you absolutely need to bury the glitter with a clear. If you intend on using Krylon GB, I recommend using Krylon Fusion as a top coat. I have a gold glitter V The Fusion is the best topcoat with GB. U-Pol might be good as well, just make sure it is cured before hitting it up with the clear.

The Krylon GB is not an easy paint to use. If you want a good small flake like GB I would recommend the Roth paint over that. A base coat is a good idea. It does help. I would recommend black if you want to use Silver.

RattleBomb! Metal Flake in a Spray Can!

Roth sells base colors as well. They also do all in ones.

RattleBomb! Metal Flake in a Spray Can!

They also sell primers and clears and so on. I don't recommend using the Spray Max 2K clear.

truckermde and Rut9er like this.

3. Rut9er

Rut9er Junior Member

Wow thanks man :)
    Unfortunately RattleBomb doesn't ship to the Netherlands so i'll have to use local products, but that's not a huge problem because i have a local store nearby that sells a lot of spray paint stuff including glitter spraypaint, base coats and clearcoats.
    thanks again for the info ;)

4. Tenafly Vipers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was done with the Krylon Glitterbomb.

truckermde and Who like this.

5. H.E.L.Shane

H.E.L.Shane Senior Member

MIST COATS ON THE GLITTER..

of your gonna try this with a spray bomb...

you need to hold the can pretty far away from the guitar and MIST it on...

otherwise, you will get spray strokes in the metallic.

the end result will be rather rough...

it will take a few coats of clear before you can start to level the surface out.. and you DO NOT want sand throughs becasue that will ruin the metallic and leave a "scar" no matter what you do to fix it

so i recommend 10-12 coats of clear before you try to level it out.

XpensiveWino, truckermde and Who like this.

6. Tenafly Vipers

Have you tried the Glitter Bomb from Krylon yet? It is it's own special thing. Most people I know who have used it say you should do the opposite of most people like yourself recommend for metallics with misting. GB sprays like a garden hose. Most people say to shake well, hold on and keep it moving, but don't mist or take your finger off. If you do it'll spit and sputter like crazy. If you need uniform with GB, the best thing to do is stand back like you said and keep the hand moving and don't stop.

On the other hand I have found the Roth and other flake/sparkle rattle cans to be way more like traditional metallic paint and would absolutely recommend your suggestions without hesitation.

7. Rut9er

Rut9er Junior Member

Nice! looking great!

@H.E.L.Shane So you're saying that i should sand after 10-12 coats of clear? And what do you mean with "leveling-out"? Does that mean i should sand after the clearcoats? wouldn't that ruin the finish?

Sorry i'm a newbie to this and English isn't my first language so it's all a bit hard to understand.

8. Tenafly Vipers

DO NOT SAND BETWEEN COATS OF CLEAR.... ever, with any kind of paint. It is pointless. It will also ruin the finish as Shane described. You don't want to cut thos flake edges in half.

Build for 10-12 coats and then wait to cure and then sand. Rules of three apply for urethane as well as nitro. Spray three coats. A coat is three passes. Then wait a couple days for it to offgas, then spray three more. So you will do this 4 times. Essentially 9 passes, then wait a couple days, then 9 more and repeat that two more times. Don't worry about it being lumpy or orange peely. Resist the urge to smooth it out. Just keep building with successive coats.

The guitar above is Krylon Fusion over Glitter Blast Citrus Dream.

truckermde likes this.

9. Rut9er

Rut9er Junior Member

Wow thanks man! it's all 'clear' to me now :p

10. Rut9er

Rut9er Junior Member

One last question: will i need more then 1 can of sparkle and black for finishing an entire body + neck?

11. b3john

b3john Senior Member

Over on TDPRI, Buckocaster51 has an epic (6000+ post) thread documenting his Sparkle-Tele builds. Tools, materials, techniques, the works. Well worth your time to slog through if sparkle finishes appeal to you.

[​IMG]

truckermde, Who and jp litch like this.

12. Rut9er

Rut9er Junior Member

Cool thread! That should be entertaining me for some while :p

13. Tenafly Vipers

I don't think you will need more than one can of the black but I think the rule of thumb is a minimum of a can and a half for standards finishes on set neck guitars. With glitter blast you might need three. The cans are smallish.

14. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

if you have an air brush and know how to use it you can shoot fingernail polish for some assume effects that you won't see anywhere else.

Who likes this.

15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member

Marty Bell Finishing - PREMIER GUITAR FINISHING

Send it to Marty. I sent a Jackson DK-1 to him that had some dents that were past the thick finish and into the wood.. He repaired the damage and painted it candy apple red.. Show cars don't have as slick of a finish as that guitar body does and he specializes in sparkle jobs.

16. Mr Teeny

Mr Teeny Senior Member

Never like the sparkly finishes usually but that's a cool looking finish

[​IMG]

17. jp litch

jp litch Senior Member

Yeah Bucko's thread over there at the tdpri is pretty much the bible on how to sparkle/metalflake a guitar.

1 person likes this.

18. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

@Frogfur, I realize this is an old thread.... tell me more about shooting nail-polish.

truckermde likes this.

19. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Who, you thin finger nail polish 1:1 ratio using Lacquer thinner. Make sure you have a good primer. Watch the nozzle.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017

20. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Great thread!

Thanks for bumpin' this one, Who! :thumb: