How to Deal With Floyd Rose

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by jw3571, Sep 26, 2017.

1. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

I've had numerous guitars with Floyd Roses on them, they've all been a real pain in the ass to keep tuned. What's the trick to owning one of these, also why do they go out of tune so much when they have locking tuners? Is it worth it to switch the FR out to a hard tail?

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Senior Member

Tighten the lock nut screws tighter! Don't forget to stretch new strings! Those are the only reasons a Floyd wont stay in tune.

LSAR and Malikon like this.
  3. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

When mine was floating, it almost never went out of tune. I believe it was less affected by temperature changes somehow, because the springs compensated. I might be using imaginary physics, but it was awesome in that regard.

Use a high quality hex wrench so you don't wear down the 'screws.'

4. splatter

splatter Senior Member

if they won't stay in tune then something isn't right with the set up . Are they OFR or a knock off ?
    do you adjust string height with tension on the strings ? If so you could have dulled the knife edge on the trem .

one thing to check , when you use the trem does the string go sharp ? If so make sure the screws that the locking nut bolts to the guitar with are tight .

All my guitars have floyds and the reason for it is more for tuning stability than for whammy use .

5. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Half the point of Floyd Rose is that it does not go out of tune!

Dealing with them is similar to dealing with any other type of tremolo guitar such as a Strat. Here's what I do with mine (and I have five of them - love my Floyd Rose!):

Keep the spring cover off the back so that it is easy to adjust the tremolo claw. Also make sure that the springs running from the claw to the trem block are not rubbing against the wood at any part of the tremolo cavity when you move the trem.

Remove the nut clamps.

Set all the fine-tuning screws to the middle of their range. I would screw the low E all the way in, the D all the way out, then adjust the A until it is in between E and D. Then I will adjust all the screws to be the same height as A.

Notice there is a retaining bar right after the nut that presses down all the strings like a string tree? The height of that bar needs to be adjusted so that all the strings are totally straight from the first point where the string contacts the nut, to the point where it meets the retaining bar. In other words, the string needs to be lying clean flat against the surface of the nut. If it is any higher, the note will go sharp when you tighten the clamp and press the string down when locking the nut.

Replace a fresh set of strings and tune like you would a normal guitar. The only difference is that in addition to the six tuning pegs, you might have to also screw the claw in or out so that the bridge balances parallel to the body when all the strings are in tune. This might take some time to do but you will get the hang of it eventually. I tend to tune from the outer strings in - low E and high E, then A and B, then G and D. If you find it impossible to get all the strings in tune, loosening or tightening one of the two claw screws will do it. You have to think of the claw screws as part of the entire tuning process that balances the tuning across all six strings, and also balances the tremolo parallel to the body.

When that is done, every string should be in tune just like a normal guitar and the bridge parallel to the body, even without locking the nut. Now, lock down the nut clamps. No need to be too tight. Finger-tighten and then add another quarter turn with the Allen wrench. If your retaining bar has been adjusted right as described above, the string should not go out of tune. Then it's just a matter of adjusting the fine tuners and you're done, and it should be good to go for the whole set without any more tuning!

Another thing to note is that you should try to tune the strings when the guitar is warm - i.e. I try to play the guitar a little bit when tuning it, so that the neck is warm at playing temperature. I find that when I bring my guitar to a venue, the neck is initially cold and it will appear out of tune when I am setting up. But after playing it for one song, the strings get back in tune as the neck warms up! If I had tried to re-tune the guitar when cold during set-up, it would go out of tune after the neck warms up.

Thumpalumpacus, Who and NotScott like this.
  6. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Imaginary physics are the ones that work best for us all.
    Keep using them.
    :thumb:

7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

PERFECT post!!!! This is EXACTLY how it's done. If your Floyd id set-up right, it will be in tune. I kept Floyd guitars WAY past my "whammy use" phase because the guitars would always be in tune. All the advice given in the above post should be written in a manual and given with every guitar that comes with a Floyd!!!

8. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

Interesting, I've never had a problem with my strats. It is an original Floyd Rose. The guitar is a Jackson SL2H

9. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Really??? A USA made SL2H (sorry, I have to ask - don't be offended)? I had dozens of USA Jacksons at one point, and they NEVER had a tuning issue. Did you buy it used?

10. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Life-changing.
    Life

Changing.

Watch. Where was this video in the 80s?

11. Custom53

Custom53 Senior Member

I own a EBMM EVH, EBMM Axis, Les Paul Axcess, PRS CU24, all with Floyd Rose and None of them go out of tune...! You might want to have a expert luthier familiar with Floyd Rose check it out.. EVH Axis.jpg Axcess.jpg 003.JPG

ht-57 likes this.
  12. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

Yes, it's a USA SL2H bought brand new and setup by the shop i bought it at.

mmd likes this.
  13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Odd. However, Jackson has been know to (sadly) to churn out some turds here and there. Where are you having issues - at the bridge I assume?

14. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

I'm not sure where the problem is, I just know it's going out tune frequently. I've had numerous Jackson, and none have stayed in tune, maybe it's user error, lol.

Custom53 likes this.
  15. mmd

mmd Senior Member

That's too bad. That was my Floyd guitar of choice for many years. I always had an issue with the JT580LP, but never on the USA guitars (OFR). My number 1 was a Solar PC-1 - gigged it every show for 10 years and never had an issue.

The best advice I can give is try what tzd posted above. That was always how I handled my Floyds, once I learned how to handle them, lol.

Sorry man!

16. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Senior Member

My first guitars were all Floyd Ros equipped (well the Jackson version anyway).
    So that's what I learned how to use and set up. Way before You-Tube videos and internet.

Twenty-four years later they still stay in tune better and longer, with more abuse than any of my Gibson's could.
    Typical Gibson "stay in tune time" for me 1 maybe 2 songs.
    Floyd-Rose (original or licensed) 1 or 2 hours.

Who likes this.
  17. csplayer089

csplayer089 Senior Member

I own 8 guitars with Floyds/Ibanez Edge trems. They all stay in tune once set up properly. I'm at the point where I prefer a Floyd over a hard tail.

4 Ibanez OG Edge trems
    1 Ibanez LoPro Edge trem
    1 Ibanez Edge Pro trem
    1 Schaller OFR
    1 Schaller S-FRT II

All are rock solid.

18. ht-57

ht-57 Member

#what custom53 said!!

Custom53 likes this.