How To Beef Up Your Strat Tone A Simple Wiring Mod Tutorial

Discussion in 'Fender' started by ibanezcollector, Aug 19, 2012.

1. victeve12

victeve12 Junior Member

Hi. Are you able to use a Fender S-1 switch instead of a push pull switch and do you know where to get the wiring diagram for this?

Regards
    James

2. vangelismetheny

vangelismetheny Junior Member

Beautiful mod!!!
    Thank you very much Ibanezcollector !!!

3. stratseven

stratseven Junior Member

Hi, thanks for this very nice mod!
    I have a question: if i change the red wire and make it to connect to the middle pickup, and use the central lugs to wire neck and bridge grounds, will i end up with N+M and M+B in series?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks a lot,
    André.

4. atdonze

atdonze Junior Member

Thanks for your post. I am really interested in this mod but don't see the images. Is there a way I can get them. Thank you, atdonze

5. SlimBlues

SlimBlues Junior Member

For some reason I can't see the images that were originally posted by Ibanezcollector.
    Could someone repost them?
    Thanks!!

6. SlimBlues

SlimBlues Junior Member

For some reason I can't see the images that were originally posted by Ibanezcollector.
    Could you repost them?
    Thanks!!

7. SlimBlues

SlimBlues Junior Member

Looks like the images posted have been moved from the source site....🙁

8. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

Does anybody have the original wiring diagram for this mod?

9. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Would you be thinking of this for the Strat you just put the SD JB 59 in?

I ask because of this from the OP,

Not sure how well it would work with a guitar that already has a humbucker installed

I didn't copy his full wiring diagram with the pickups and switch but i did copy this.

Here's a link to a website will all kinds of HSS wiring mods.

https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/hss-guitars

You might have some issues attempting some of them. Most look like the Humbucking pickup has 4 wires where as i think you said your SD JB 59 only has 2 wires.

10. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

You are correct, I hadn't thought of that. Probably I can put a plastic cover on the cable and issue a wire from there to the ground.
    If I don't sell the guitar first... :laugh2:

11. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

I might be miss-understanding you but...

In order to take your pickup from a 2 wire pickup to a 4 wire pickup you would have to disassemble the pick up,unsolder the 4 wires on the pickup coils remover the 2 wire cable and add a piece of 4 wire cable.

I tried to find video of the procedure but the few i found weren't very detailed.

This video shows the general procedure,But doesn't mention any extra steps like if the pickup is wax potted(If its not wax potted it makes it easier to access the coil wires the pickups in the vid aren't potted.). You may have to Carefully remove the wax in order to get access to the inner coil wires.

Pay attention to his remarks about the color coding of the wires,If you can find a 4 wire cable that matches the SD code that'd be great. If you can't find a piece of cable that matches SD color pattern you will have to keep a record of which colored wires from your cable you wired to the SD wires.Other wise when you try to install the pickups your going have a problem hooking the wires up to the correct positions.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjW6MjJTW-I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjW6MjJTW-I[/ame]

You will also need the SD pickup color code for the coil wires. This shows the wires coming out of a factory made 4 wire pickup..That's why they look nice and long.The coils wires you'd be dealing with would be considerably shorter(you're essentially adding extensions to these). They are also very thin and delicate so be careful and patient.

[​IMG]

To be honest i haven't done this myself..BUT don't let my long winded wordy typing deter you its not a complicated procedure.. Work carefully and have patients.

1 person likes this.
  12. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

Thanks a lot. i will analyze all this more carefully later. Thanks.

Still not sure why I need to turn it into a 4 wire.