How to answer low ball offer :)

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by Alvinfan, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

So looking at your sig, which $5000 guitar was it that you offered $3750 for?

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

A friend of mine makes beautiful furniture. He struck a deal with a client once to make a custom table. When the table was done the client came down and said..."I'd like to re-negotiate, I think the price is too high." They originally agreed on $1000 and now the guy said he thought he only wanted to pay $700. My friend said no way, we had a deal. The client walked out of his shop.

He came back a few days later and said "alright, I'll give you the $1000....my wife really wants the table".

At this point my friend said to him, sorry, now the price is $1500. (he was pissed and he didn't care, he would just as soon have kept the table for himself.)

The client went ballistic shouting "you can't do that!" and when my pal didn't budge he stormed out.

Again a few days later the client came back and said "alright...I'll give you the $1500" to which my friend then said "fine....you can have it for our original deal of $1000" :applause:

3 people like this.
  3. Byron999

Byron999 Senior Member

If I offered someone 500.00 for a 2000.00 guitar, and they said "Okay", I'd be thinking, is it worth 500.00? What's wrong with it? :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  4. Frankg11

Frankg11 Senior Member

In my buisness, which can't be mentioned here and it's not religion. We have a fixed date by which all work needs to be done. Think first Tuesday in November. I have clients that hem and haw about price until it's a crisis and then they try to barter down the price. I explain that we are all booked out an now the price is higher. Same sort of thing with the table.

However if someone is willing to put a 20% down payment on an durable good, they must be going to some effort to come look at it, so they are already pre-disposed to buying it. So as a shop owner if someone else came into the shop to look at the guitar, let them play it see if it works for that person and then I would let them know it's on hold till close of biz on Monday and I would call that person on Monday to let them know it's still available. That person will not really go any place else until Monday.

my 2 cents.

1 person likes this.
  5. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I didn't read all the posts repling to your question , so If someone already stated what t I'm writing .......

Imo, It's the times we are in ...a buyers market right now(a few years really) , so those who make really low offers (in your opinion) are looking to score anything and possibly turn it over later on for a small profit . Another type ,is those wanting a guitar way out of their price range and knowing some sellers Need to move it to get cash . Try enough times and odds are you'll find 1 that would except your offer .

If it's really low , Don't bother answering . Move on and forget about these types .
    Those who know the value ,~ and really want to buy will offer a bit low to get a little better price. An offer that makes you consider it .

6. scottyk

scottyk Senior Member

How do I personally answer a low ball?
    I simply hit the DELETE button.

1 person likes this.
  7. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

If you are selling something that I am interested in, be prepared for me to make a ridiculously low offer. I will do it every time..ESPECIALLY if I am standing in front of you with cash in my hand. If I told you some of the prices I have bought guitars ( nothing vintage) and motorcycles for you would be amazed. An example, I bought a 2000 yamaha roadstar for $1000.00. asking price $2500.00. Did some MINOR work on it and rode it to gatlinburg and back...guy needed cash.. I had cash.

2 people like this.