How to answer low ball offer :)

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by Alvinfan, Mar 1, 2015.

1. HRC

HRC Senior Member

Depends on what mood I'm in when I get the offer. It can get pretty bad at times. :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  2. Justin_Case

Justin_Case Senior Member

The Price Police are everywhere.

I've had a poster in this thread make a comment in one of my classifieds, that my price was way out of line.
    Not in a PM, but in the classified itself. It got stupid, to the point I went to the Mods to have the ad pulled.

Ended up selling that gorgeous Trad Pro II in Vintage Burst to a local off CL for the asking price. which was $50 more than I was asking here.

6 people like this.
  3. troyvod

troyvod Member

yep the lowballers can be annoying, i've priced stuff to sell fast in the past on our local gear buy and sell page and some idiot will always offer close to half of whats already a good deal. my response is usually if you can find that guitar at the price you're offering please let me know because i'd like to buy it. Half the time they word their offers like they are doing you a favour.

2 people like this.
  4. Duke_18_watt

Duke_18_watt Senior Member

I hear what your saying, but how often have you seen a seller asking double the value of something and then accepting an offer of 60% asking? That irks me even more. It really depends on how a buyer approaches me...not necessarily the dollar amount offered. I'll sell to a polite buyer before a dink, even if I get a bit less. :hmm:

5. hrfdez

hrfdez Senior Member

That's so freaking low class. When people do that on your own for sale thread they should be banned for a few days.

If one don't like the price, stuff it, you don't have to buy it:thumb:

5 people like this.
  6. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

You can always do a 'Buy it Now' without the option of accepting offers. If you are offended, maybe better to set up the sale with those parameters and price the item realistically ?

2 people like this.
  7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Lowballing happens, it doesn't bother me. Most of the time, I might just reply 'too low'. But what really grinds my gears is agreeing to a price and then being lowballed or 'nickle and dimed' at the point of purchase.

2 people like this.
  8. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

That was you?

:laugh2:

9. HardCore Troubadour

That was you?

:laugh2:

10. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I've posted and sold a few items on CL, recently. Without fail, someone will offer me about 40% of my stated price. I usually just say "No thanks, if I am going to give it away, I already have plenty of friends..."

3 people like this.
  11. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Last week, a douchebag offered my $50 below my lowered price. He had the nerve to tell me that I was being silly for not accepting his offer, that it was only $50. :laugh2:

12. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

I will usually throw an offer for a little less than the asking price but never an insulting offer. My offers will usually include 2 day shipping. If they stay firm I make a decision as to weather I want to pay what they are asking. Offering someone just a little more than half of what they are asking is both insulting and stupid.

2 people like this.
  13. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

If they offer you a really lowball price just say sorry I'm not selling this parted out, then counter with a new price $109 more than you asked to begin with.

1 person likes this.
  14. HardCore Troubadour

That was you?

:D

1 person likes this.
  15. Chuck M

Chuck M Senior Member

I thought that was an excellent was to handle it.

Chuck M

16. Monty203

Monty203 Senior Member

When I am buying a guitar I try to offer around 75% of their asking price. On $5000 I would start my offer at around $3750 then if they didnt except I would offer $4000. I get really annoyed when someone offers $100 when I have a guitar listed for $700 or when they tell you your price is to high and dont make an offer.

17. Frankg11

Frankg11 Senior Member

I would simply say thank you for you offer and I will place it in ranked order based upon your bid. I will get back to you if you are the winning bidder.

Easy, blow off.

I use client offers as an indicator of their seriousness and/or value proposition they have for the the item. First rule of Sales is pricing as an indicator of value.

18. Will S

Will S Member

I've made what the seller called "lowball" offers before, sometimes going on a rant in snarky or raging reply to my offer. When I make an offer that is well below their wishing price, I don't just throw out a number, it's based on what is going on in the market at the time.

When I bought my '66 vibro-champ, four 65/66s had sold in my area on CL in the 6 weeks before that, between $600 and $675, a couple with recent cap service and all original otherwise. Guy was asking $1000 for one. I offered $650, and noted the ones recently sold, even included some screen shots (yeah, I'm prepared like that, it's the engineer in me) from the old ads.

Dude went ballistic on some raging profanity laced rant, and reported me to CL for something, and managed to get me banned from even accessing CL for a couple days until I contacted their admins.

I've paid people their list price without even trying to negotiate several times when I felt it was a very good deal at their price, and they were down on their luck. I've also offered 60% of list price many times when the list price was a "wishing" price totally out of line with the market. Guy has guitar on my local CL right now that is listed at $1100, and there are multiple others, same model, same condition, color, year range, for mid $700s, and I've seen two sold in the last 6 weeks for 675-700.

The lowball thing cuts both ways. Lowball vs. unrealistic wishing price.

19. Chuck M

Chuck M Senior Member

You probably don't expect this answer...but what the heck do you care how much he is asking for it??? Why didn't you buy the other ones and leave him alone? You state you've had 2 chances to buy the same thing in the same condition, etc. etc. You know he's going to keep it for a long time...sssooo what!!! Let him enjoy his unrealistic wishing price.

What are you the pricing police?

Sorry I ranted, I've had high test coffee all day :hyper:

But I meant this...just a bit more direct than usual.

Chuck M

1 person likes this.
  20. Will S

Will S Member

I didn't buy the other ones because they sold before I could make time in my schedule to get from the IE, where I live, to L.A. where they were located. Popping down to L.A. after work isn't really an option with SoCal traffic.

Did I say I had 2 chances to buy them? I don't believe I did.

Not the price police, and wasn't playing as such. I was looking for one, offered what the market was supporting, and guy shat his pants with rage due to his unrealistic wishing price. Hey, no skin off my back, I bought one from a guy at market (pristine, all original with exception of recently done cap job, at $650) about a week and half later. Turned out I'd even met the guy I ended up buying from, 15 years earlier, on the other side of the country at a show.