How to answer low ball offer :)

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by Alvinfan, Mar 1, 2015.

1. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

I think you answered it properly. When you put yourself out in the market you can expect about anything.

1 person likes this.
  2. Justin_Case

Justin_Case Senior Member

Ebay at least here in the US lets you set up an automatic rejection of any bids lower than you will entertain.

Here it's craigslist that I you get the real low ball offers - I like to respond " I just committed to sell X for Y dollars LESS than your offer. Sorry :( you are too late."

3 people like this.
  3. Alvinfan

Alvinfan Senior Member

There is no drama as I see it.
    I just raise a discussion about wether some questions/proposals are so stupid that maybe they should not have been asked.
    As you can see from the thread I am not the only one who is a little irritated by this behaviour.

Even though I can just say "NO", I personally would rather avoid stupid proposals like "Can I buy your 1957 Strat for 5000 $ ?"
    or "Can I sleep with your wife for x $ ?" (Hey thats a good plot for a movie :D)

4. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

To me it's an offer, you don't have to accept, but no reason to let it bother you either. As a buyer I am always looking to get the best deal I can, so I always start low. If I start high then you come back higher. So the proper negotiating is to start low so you can meet in the middle. In addition to this I am very upfront and will tell people, this is all I have to spend, so I wanted to make an offer to see if you are interested. If not that's ok but at least I tried, if I didn't try I would never know how low you were willing to go. And when people shoot me low offers I will always just respond with a sorry too low for me and I will counter with what I consider a reasonable offer.

3 people like this.
  5. So What

So What Senior Member

I still stand by my earlier post.

However, I will add that what I absolutely HATE, are the a$$holes who send you a message just to tell you they think you are asking too much for your item....but they aren't even making an offer.

They are just making an unsolicited comment on your price.

Back when I used to flip LP Classics and Standards on eBay fairly often, this one guy acted like the price police.

He sent several messages on my prices, but I always got what I wanted for the guitar.

I don't mind a low-ball offer, but don't complain about my price, if you aren't even making an offer.

3 people like this.
  6. wungabunga

wungabunga Junior Member

And none with a 63 neck!

:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  7. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

I had a guy complain that my Craigslist selling price for a walk-behind string trimmer was too high. There was an old sticker on it that showed the original retail price and he thought that my discount for the virtually unused machine was gouging.

So I took that photo out of the listing, raised my price $50, and sold it a few days later netting $50 more than my walk away offer.

I did send the complainer a nice note to thank him.

:thumb:

Zone of Possible Agreement

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Alvinfan

Alvinfan Senior Member

Exactly - it is totally unique ! Thats why that lowball offer was so much out of line :thumb:

9. Mannish Boy

Mannish Boy Senior Member

I would reply with "no thank you, the price is firm" If they offer up any more low ball banter I'd tell them to "shove off".

10. jaik

jaik Senior Member

How to answer snarky sellers offended by being offered thousands of dollars :
    "may you enjoy your instrument for many years to come"
    :slash:

1 person likes this.
  11. Alvinfan

Alvinfan Senior Member

So your point is that I should have jumped at the offer ?????
    and since I did not do that I will be stuck with my 1957 Strat for many years to come :hmm:
    Let me guess : You don´t spend much time in the vintage section.

12. FiftySevenPhil

FiftySevenPhil Senior Member

"I just raise a discussion about wether some questions/proposals are so stupid that maybe they should not have been asked."

Offering 3,000 on a 5,500 ask isn't stupid; offering 500 is.

2 people like this.
  13. Alvinfan

Alvinfan Senior Member

We have to distinguish 2 types of Ebay prices :
    1) The rediculously unrealistic fantacy prices
    2) The realistic prices that reflects what the item will actually sell for

I am of course biased, but I think anyone who knows a little about vintage Fenders will
    agree that my pricing is in the last category.
    I think it is stupid (or we can also call it overly optimistic) to offer half of what the seller asks
    for a realisticly priced item, because the seller will not take it seriously and will often feel somewhat offended like I did.
    If you think I am wrong please give me just one example of a guy selling eg a CC 7 Shanks for 3000 $
    ( 5500 $ would be a realistic starting price for such a guitar).

Or here is forum brother Mfolet who always ask very reasonable prices.
    He has a beautiful 2014 lemonburst LP Stinger for sale at the members classified at 5150 $.
    I am interested in the guitar, so who thinks the best way to start negotiations would be to offer him 2900 $ ? I don´t think so.
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member-classifieds/328908-fs-2014-r9-lemonburst-stinger-vos.html

14. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

There are naive and unrealistically optimistic people in all walks of love, life and business.

It's a waste of time being offended by them, just say no thank you and move on to spending the minutes in your short life doing something more enjoyable and productive.

3 people like this.
  15. Mexicanbreed

Mexicanbreed Senior Member

[​IMG]

Shipping included.

1 person likes this.
  16. Alvinfan

Alvinfan Senior Member

You are ever so right !!! Sometimes I need to be a little more Dalai Lama :thumb:

17. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

I told a guy on eBay to not contact me again, or I'd report him for harassing me. He just HAD to respond, "Okay.".
    I then spent 30 minutes on the phone waiting for customer service to report the asshole, for principle.

2 people like this.
  18. Byron999

Byron999 Senior Member

How do companies like C. Music Exchange make any money if they only offered near market prices for used gear?

Some buyers are sellers, looking for deals to make a profit, they offer a lower price, and are not our target buyers, so I wouldn't waste time with them.

The point here, is negotiating has to start someplace, it may lead to agreement or go nowhere, fast. But isn't that's how the market works?

I'm sure there are markets where buyers don't even discuss price until they have the money in hand and are ready to back up any offer given. So if a buyer says I'll buy for X amount, the seller will expect a transaction, else the seller will be offended as their time is wasted.

1 person likes this.
  19. tzd

tzd Senior Member

20. jaik

jaik Senior Member

No, my point is, there's no point being snarky when someone offers thousands of dollars. Just say "That's won't do, but thanks for your interest, here is my counter offer" or don't answer.

I received a number of offers for my SG at the vintage guitar show, I didn't snark off on any of these people for making an offer I couldn't accept, or tell them to go play a epiphone, I just said "no but thanks for your interest" and moved on until someone paid what I could happily accept. :wave:

Its a lot less stressful that way , be well man, and GLWS, it looks like a great axe

4 people like this.