How Stupid is a Fender Twin (RI, Evil, Silverface) Purchase for Me?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by NYC LP player, Jul 6, 2017.

1. bum

bum Senior Member

OK, I may have a couple of things wrong here so apologies if so.
    However!
    My understanding is that the red knob Twins are not the 'Evil' Twin, the 'Evil' Twin is in fact one of these:

http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-twin-the-evil-twin/

Which, I happen to use as my home amp!
    If you get one of these then high gain craziness is yours to be had at talking volumes. Lush cleans of course and a very nice crunchier channel for all your Eagles needs.

It has volume controls for all channels and is my perfect home amp, no cranking needed.

Here is mine chilling out at home, it's a wonderful and versatile amp - it has a 25 watt mode too

Attached Files:

mmd likes this.
  2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Personally, I greatly enjoy the sound/tone of a Twin Reverb at home volumes. It is a clean amp. It has headroom for months. The reverb is beautiful at every volume level. The vibrato add A LOT to the tone. My personal favorite is a mid-70's MV TR. I tend to try to avoid the 135 watt, linear power amp versions from the late 70's. Even the blackface "evil twin" (looks like a 65 RI, but has a gain channel, efx loop, and no tremolo) is awesome at a moderately low volume. IMHO, if you want any gain that's the version to get. It's WAY better than the red knob version. I'd go for it.

Rhust and bum like this.
  3. bum

bum Senior Member

Yup, this is what I have and it really is very good

mmd likes this.
  4. Epiphone_LesPaul

Epiphone_LesPaul Senior Member

The Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb are in my eyes the two best amplifiers ever made- but god are they expensive!

Next on my list would be the 6505/5150 followed by the Vox AC30.

Rhust likes this.
  5. PAPADON

PAPADON Member

I'm a child of the 60's. We didn't have the problem of having to make all of these choices and comparisons back then. What I see now is that for every amp that you inquire about you're going to hear the same old objections. Twins are to heavy and to loud, Mesas are to heavy and hard to dial in, Deluxe Reverbs break up to early, clean amps don't break up early enough, Blues Juniors sound boxy, boutique and vintage amps are to expensive and Peaveys have an ugly logo etc. etc. All great amps for sure so what to do, what to do? Well my take on it is that a used Twin is an all time bench mark amp for relatively little money. Don't sweat the small stuff. You know you want it so get one and play the Hell out of it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    bulletproof, marsten and Mustard Caps like this.
  6. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

In thinking about it, the thing I keep coming back to is this: A Twin in the house is like a Marshall half stack. Too loud unless you're alone and you want to serenade the neighborhood.

I tried my HRD in the house once and scared myself. :lol: My Blues Jr is pretty much too loud for inside the house. I have a Frontman 25R with a speaker upgrade that's just about right, but still a bit too loud if anyone else is home.

It all comes down to how loud you need to get to hear what you want to hear.

7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

BAH!!

I often wonder why dudes here often think certain amps are "too loud". I have NEVER had a tube amp that was too loud. From Fender, Marshall, Soldano, Kitty Hawk, Mesa, Vox and Rivera I never had volume issues or complaints. Most of those amps (minus the Vox) were 85 watts plus. It was never difficult to get a good sound out of any of them. My neighbors or wife never complained My ears never bled. Small animals didn't die a painful death. Windows didn't shatter. The earth remained on its proper axis....

You get the idea...

bulletproof and marsten like this.
  8. Wagster

Wagster Senior Member

Buy it. You can always get your money back out of it if you dont bond with it.

My SFTR has been my "go-to" gig amp for many years now. 'Too Loud' has never been an issue. You just gotta be careful where you aim it! Anyone in the speakers direct line of fire are liable to get an earache. Leo put the legs on it for a reason. Kick it back!

But the real secret to a Twin is getting the controls set just right........... :slash:

[​IMG]

In recent days, however, Ive got more gigging options....

I picked up a 78 Pro Reverb about a month ago for $600. (Half the watts of a twin but all the weight of one....go figure). Its a nice amp. Havent gigged it yet tho....

Then a few weeks ago I modded up a "new smaller size!" cab for my bandmaster. You think hauling a TR sucks? Try a BM with a full sized cab! lol I havent gigged it yet either, but am looking forward to it. The BM (sporting some tung-sol 5088s) is my favorite of the 3 for sure.

[​IMG]

Buy the Twin!

marsten and bulletproof like this.
  9. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I guess is relevant in today's world of amps, and that's good. But in my day most bands had something no smaller than a bandmaster (which I still love today)and allot of guys went with the twin. A good one like the blackface etc could do anything you wanted.
    Bands loved the Showman too. Infact, if given the choice between a good Marshall half stack and a Duel Showman, give me that Fender. I'd say depending on allot of things the twin can do just about anything musically.
    No better example of fender Les Paul companionship than Super Session (without the horn.)
    I love'em

marsten and bulletproof like this.
  10. fl48

fl48 Member

I have a '75 Silverface Twin Reverb, 100 w. It sounds great on low volume for practice, and I can crank it up for a gig if I want to. It has the best cleans of any amp I have ever tried and the reverb and vibrato are superb. You just have to accept the fact that you will need to use pedals. But almost all pedals sound great through a Twin. In fact, I use a EHX B9 organ pedal. It sounds fantastic through my Twin, but sucks through most other amps I have tried. A Twin is heavy, so use a hand truck if you have to. To answer the original question, a Twin at lower volume sounds just fine.

11. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

I own a 67ish Super Reverb, and a 68ish Twin Reverb.

The Super is louder, especially with the right speakers. The Twin is cleaner. There is a 3db advantage to the Twin. The Super pushes 315 inches of cone, the Twin pushes 226 inches of cone. Given greater speaker area, even with a 3dB advantage of a Twin, Super's just sound louder, maybe because they do break up so well. The 3dB is well within what you'll find with one model speaker vs another, which normally range from about 93db to 103db at the extremes of the range.... 94dB to 99dB being more commonly utilized.

My Super has four Celestion Vintage 10's, which were 97dB speakers. My Twin has a pair of EV Force-12's (called the poor man's JBL in the day). No idea of the dB rating of those.

You need to watch out with Twin Reverb amps. There are two basic varieties of silverfaced amps. The 100 (or 105) watter, and the 135 watter.

The 100's are ok, can be reverted to classic blackface if you like. Removal of the master volume control and some tweaks to the finals do it. Reissue blackface panels "fit" by the way.

On the 135 watter, you've got the output transformer with "ultra-linear" taps for the screen grids. Those amps can be retroverted but its a Royal Pain-in-the-Phismon to do, as you need to replace the output transformer and build up the screen grid supply. Those latest amps also run at higher voltage (to get the power) so they don't really revert well. But.... the 135 watt Twins are the pinnacle for jazz players, especially with JBL speakers. The jazz players I know go "ga ga" over those, since they are very clean, very solid, and tonally perfect for jazz.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017