How Stupid is a Fender Twin (RI, Evil, Silverface) Purchase for Me?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by NYC LP player, Jul 6, 2017.

1. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Premium Member

Currently at home I have
    Super Reverb with Weber Mass
    JTM45 with PPIMV
    Tweed Deluxe with a PPIMV

For the family weekend beach house I have been packing the Tweed, some pedals, a guitar, cables, power supplies, etc. I really like the TD tone but it wont do ultra Fender cleans and won't do Marshall (duh) and I always need to bring a least a reverb. We also bring a bunch of things and I own a sedan so things can get crowded in the car and it would be tough to bring more than one person there and back.

So as most bad ideas start out I started wandering craigslist in cities between NYC and Providence RI for an amp with reverb that I would leave at the house.

Deluxe Reverbs are fairly inexpensive but the real steals seem to be Twin Reverbs as they are just too loud and heavy for 95% of the population. It seems possible to get one of these magical beasts from somewhere betwen high $500s to low $700s with varing speakers. The funny thing is even though I have my own basement/workshop I still can't get super loud. The TD full out is too loud at 12w for extended use and I usually run the ppimv at 50%.

I am comfortable modding amp and understand that sacrifices using an attenuator or ppimv comes with but my Super is only 40w.....we are now talking 80w or 100w.

I know I can pull 2 tubes

I can add a master vol/ppimv/etc if it doesnt already have one or use an attenuator

I know I can mod circuits on ptp amps and even the RIs

The question, for those of you with direct experience, can these things still sound good at home volumes using mods/etc and is it worth it if you are saving $200-$300 over a Deluxe Reverb which...ya know....could be relocated now an then?

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Twins are clean. So its not like its a 'crank to get the iconic tone' so much. What you do have is lush tone, and from reports its good pretty much at all volume levels.

3. Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer Senior Member

My second "real" amp was a 76 100w Fender Twin. I still have it but it mostly gets used for recording these days.
    #1) It's heavy...really heavy.
    #2 It's clean pretty much all though it's volume taper.
    #3) It can easily get CRAZY loud. It just seems to project much better than any amp I've ever played. It can bury just about any drummer live or dead on 5. It can stun a flock of birds at 50 yards on 7

Seems like overkill for a small, quiet space. Nothing sounds quite like one though and I still haven't sold mine over 25 years later.

bulletproof and Slater529 like this.
  4. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Sometimes, regardless of how impractical, some amps are just cool to own. Case in point your SR. Buy what you like.

bulletproof and RAG7890 like this.
  5. space

space Senior Member

Twin is a great amp at all vol for clean tones imo
    the reverb (on the Sf anyways) are fantastic
    They are however heavy and lugging them around is not an enjoyable experience
    T

6. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Fryette Power Station, you can get sweet tones at low volume or you can crank a small Deluxe loud enough to rock the beach. It should tame that twin reverb too. It also gives you a FX loop where you normally don't have one.

Mustard Caps likes this.
  7. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Try an EHX Soul Food pedal....(Klon clone) Can shove a Fender preamp to the Edge of Stank without killing small critters...

SF has Treble and Gain knobs along with Volume (output).... Just cranking up V will transparently kick up the dBs of signal and push Amp preamp stages... You can stank the signal with the G knob but I'd rather let the Amp do the stankin' and 'just' boost the true guitar signal....

You can get a Twin to stank up at lower Volume...

Just a suggestion... I love my EXH SF....

KBMelb likes this.
  8. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

Absolutely. That amp should have knobs on the front labelled "Volume". Just keep those turned down.

9. NYC LP player

Got the Klon base covered :naughty:

[​IMG]

ehb likes this.
  10. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

If you want a Twin, buy it. Put some wheels on it so it's easier to move around.

11. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Love old BF to early SF Twins. Even had good luck with some of the SF master volume Twins, albeit not because of the MV...

I am NOT a fan of the reissue's (least favorite of the reissue line) nor a fan of the "Evil Twin".

People get confused over what an Evil Twin is, so I'll clarify by saying either the Super Twin or the Red Knob Twin. Both kinda svck.

12. ehb

Cool. I'd still get Klon type stomp like the SF with whatever you decide on. You don't have to move your Klon back and forth then....

If it is for weekend beach house < and especially leaving it there >, I'd look at the Fender Pawn Shop series amps, can't remember the names, the brown ones and the green ones, etc... I think they are ballpark 15W and up... Ones I've heard can get loud as hell and sound pretty nice... Excelsior, Rampart are a couple of em I think... Peavey Classic 30's are nice...

I don't think I would leave a nice amp at my lake house... Your call on what you leave at your beach house...

13. NYC LP player

It's not a real klon... Ceriatone Centura.

A silverface TR is a nice amp but the truth is it costs about as much currently as some of those amps you mentioned new so it's not a niceness or money thing. Just whether it would be a total waste in the tone Dept. Technically I should be fine with my vox Amplug but it doesnt inspire me like a real amp does.

ehb likes this.
  14. ehb

I love and hate a TR.... Love the tone, especially when it rubs up next to the stanky line, but hate the volume level to get it there.... Low volume, the juju just ain't jujuing...
    Those smaller cheap Fenders will stank up at a much more manageable volume level...

If you go TR, you need a boost to get it to stank at low V.
    You said money is relatively the same for the TR or the Pawn Shop Fenders.

What is the gain by going with a TR? What is the motivation? Investment? How long for worthwhile ROI?
    What is the gain by PSFs? No back surgery? Delay getting hearing aids?

If I want to play at my lake house, I'll grab my blond Monoprice 15W all tube (Laney 12R)... Not gonna haul my old amps just to have an amp at the lake house... I might consider leaving the Monoprice ($193 to my door) up there, cheap, sounds great, lightweight....but I ain't taking/leaving ANY of my other old amps...

15. NYC LP player

Already have a Tweed Deluxe if I want light weight amp that sounds great driven. I appreciate the input but I am not looking at the small practice amps to leave at the house. Ive played a few you mentioned and they are great at what they are suppose to do but honestly at that point Id rather just use Amplitube through a stereo and have some flexibility.

The threads purpose is more of a question of whether a TR (onboard reverb being a big part of it) will still be fun/good at lower volumes vs say a Deluxe Reverb and the $300 of savings that come with the TR. A Blues Jr would be the next step down from there but I dont like el84 amps for the most part and again I already can haul or leave the Tweed Deluxe. There is no investment or ROI because at $700 who cares if it doubles in value over the next bunch of years. It either inspires you when you play or it should be passed on to someone who it will inspire.

Plus since they are common/relatively cheap you dont have to feel bad about tweaking it a little especially if work has already been done to it.

Perfect example (please no one buy it)
    https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/6196172389.html

15-20min drive from my place, $650 ask which means he'd likely take $600 or lower, desirable replacement speakers, and since it is a 75 MV no one will be mad if you hot rod it slightly.

I am almost mad at myself for still talking about it but I really appreciate the confirmation by most on the thread that the TR tone is there at all volumes.... impracticality aside.

The best real solution would be this which is basically a juiced up Champ, 1x12, with a reverb tank and MV but now we are at like $1000 new and $1500 new and how will I ever play Madison Square Garden if they need someone to butcher Redhouse after a few weekend brews?!?!?!?!

ehb likes this.
  16. ehb

A boost shoving the preamp in the TR would surely make a TR fun at lower volumes I would think...

NYC LP player likes this.
  17. NYC LP player

Apparently it can be done even at apartment volumes

18. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I dimed my friend's SFTR at my 40th bday party jam and my ribs are still rattling. It did have a cool breakup at that point, but nothing you'll use.
    At the normal jam volume (pretty loud, but I have cool neighbors) it sounded fantastic.
    They're cool, but intended for cleans on stages, so you might not be playing to its strengths, but it sounded good at comfortable (to me) levels. It's a beast to move, but I think my 2204 combo weighs more.

bulletproof likes this.
  19. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Brother,you aint got a hair on yer ass if you dont buy 4 Twin Reverbs and matching extension cabs!!!! :naughty: :naughty: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

You know Im kidding around! I just dont have any advice except to take a good hard look at this. I have one and the damn thing covers a helluva lot of sonic territory!

http://cutthroataudio.com/product/down-brownie/

20. freak

freak Senior Member

I have a fender twin reissue. fantastic cleans, takes pedals well, very heavy, but not as heavy as that 75 you are looking at. my friend had one and it is unmovable. even with wheels, you have to get in your car, etc.....
    I'd buy a reissue just for that alone. but I also just love mine. $700 used all day. good luck with your search.