How Much Do You Value Playing Acoustically?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Jul 28, 2017.

1. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

Another reason I've been playing my acoustics more is to work on my barre chords. E shaped have never been too much of an issue for me, but I've always sucked with my A shaped barre chords. After spending a good 30 minutes a day just playing A shaped barre chords on the D-18, today I finally noticed some improvements. Less buzz incidents, and I can switch between E shaped and A shaped barre chords from my previous "snail" speed to a new and improved "turtle" pace.

MooCheng and SoCal Flood like this.
  2. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

Artsy ? :rofl:

SteveGangi and artis_xe like this.
  3. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Member

As an old timer, band, big band and studio musician turned Luthier in late life, most older guitar musicians will equally quip that the more volume and effects used the lousier or sloppier player you probably are because your hiding all the mistakes you make. I think that there a lot of famed 70's, 80's, 90's rock guitarists that will even admit to that. I even read a decade or so ago that Jimmy Page and Pete Townsend admitted to that and accused many other of the same. Stevie Ray Vaughn was a horribly sloppy guitarist, very entertaining, but hid the sloppiness in 11 gain and pedals. Ever heard Vaughn play an acoustic? Never. If you can't play with an acoustic what you play with an cone busting electric and sound good, you know what the problem is. IMHO.

SteveGangi likes this.
  4. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

5. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

This is true. The set up counts. My Epi 12 string is a pretty good player. The one on the wall at the shop is hard to play and requires a lot of fretting pressure. It's the set up.

6. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Due to my living conditions and skills, I don't even have an electric anymore, but I never played it anyway. There just seemed like too much "cleanliness" to get down before moving to electric. lol

There is one thing that I wish you could do on an acoustic, which is do full bends. You simply cannot play Santana on an acoustic or leads that require you to bend full steps+. Other than that, I would always play acoustic because there is just so much more going on with electric. For example, as others have point out, every touch is a new sound. It gets distracting, and is a completely different world of playing.

Don't get me wrong. One of these days I would love to move to electric and play the stuff I cannot play on acoustic.