How Much Do You Value Playing Acoustically?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Mark Knopfler sounds like Carlos Santana and Jimi Hendrix sounds like Les Paul ... errrrrrrrr ....

Mockbel likes this.
  2. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

When my kids were tiny, I switched to acoustic 90% of the time. I feel like it really improved my playing. Now that they are grown and gone, I am about 50:50 on electric acoustic but I still value both highly.

Mockbel likes this.
  3. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

+1
    I don't know what is wrong with kids and electric guitars!!! I can't play at all while my 3 and 1 years old kids are around... the guitar and amp attract them badly !

4. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I play mostly acoustic. It is quicker to start because there is no "set up" or hunting for cables involved, no amp to warm up. I don't have to worry about being too loud (forgetting the amp was set to 11). Besides, for what I do, electric or acoustic doesn't matter. I generally play fairly clean electric anyway - a touch of slap back or reverb maybe, or just a hint of "dirt" - or no effects at all.

Byron999 and DarrellV like this.
  5. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

the whole less gear thing is nice.
    since joining the "old farts club" its somewhat essential and playing acoustic you do meet up with the odd banjo player along the way, yep' most of them are odd, not all, just most

SteveGangi and artis_xe like this.
  6. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Oh, I like the gear, the toys and gadgets, but not all the time.

Byron999, MooCheng and artis_xe like this.
  7. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

I would guess that more than half of my playing time is done on an acoustic . easy to just pick up and play . and my Martin LX1E is the living room guitar __ always right next to the couch ( although I mainly practice standing )

not every song is originally intended for acoustic . that's where YouTube becomes an invaluable resource , when it comes to seeing other's acoustic versions of songs

sometimes I'll use someone else's arrangement , but for the most part , it gives me new perspective on the song so that I can do my own version

8. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

some songs really do acoustic well. its fun finding them

9. paradice

paradice Senior Member

I sometimes try to play songs or exercises from Scott Tennant's classical guitar book with an electric and hybrid picking. Try being the most important word there

10. To Need a Woman

To Need a Woman Senior Member

It's fine if you've fleshy fingers. My fingers are kinda boney, so I'm f**ked for acoustic. It's always hit or miss with things. Even if I get it right I'm always fearing that I won't. It's always a case of me not landing on a chord comfortably. You can sort of readjust your fingers for comfort while strumming that measure without being noticed. But proper guitarists somehow don't have this problem.

There's many other things a guitarist's mind should be on anyway, apart from worrying whether he'll get the chord right... so why make it any harder. I think certain things you'll be amazed at how you can get right with time, but certain things you just can't.

Mockbel likes this.
  11. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

something I've noticed, electric players find the transition to acoustic a lot more difficult than acoustic players do picking up an electric. Not in every case but I've heard enough solely electric players complain about how unplayable acoustics are usually blaming the instrument to come to the conclusion theres an element of truth to this.
    Theres also the guy who gets a very nice Martin or something or other and finds it does not play like his electrics so he go's and bungs 10's on it or even worse a set of EB Slinkys then wonders why it sounds shite

With electrics with their lighter strings are without doubt easier on the paws. Steel String Acoustics on the other hand need heavier strings to drive the top and could take some getting use to if you play mostly electric.

Its nothing to do with a players ability its just the physical characteristics between the two instruments that makes heading one direction easier than the other.

SteveGangi and artis_xe like this.
  12. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

I play acoustic, Nylon Classical & steel string regularly,,, I play my electrics unplugged more than plugged when practicing.
    It keeps reminding me to back off & lighten up when I do hit the dirt.

13. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

sometimes there are some big differences between the neck size , and nut width . also __ many of the acoustics bought " off the rack " , are not treated to a proper set up . action is higher , straight from the factory , so that the player can have it adjusted to personal preference

one of my acoustics is a Yamaha APX500lll . the neck ( and body ) on that guitar are small for an electric , but it doesn't make for a good finger picking model . mainly just a busker

14. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

A good acoustic steel string guitar can have action as low as an electric.

SteveGangi and MooCheng like this.
  15. parts

parts Senior Member

Absolutely..Len.
    My 66 J-200 Custom feels a lot like a Byrdland I had years ago..someone ordered it with similar scale neck.. Love that guitar. I use light on both the Dove and J-200 as I don't need to project and these were studio guitars always mic'd. I did put a D'Marzio pickup on the Dove..but no longer on it..still in my guitar tool box.
    I removed the brass bridge I made for the Dove..maybe that dulled the sound..but the J-200 is stock and brighter and of course projects more with that jumbo size..

My '69 Dove is also quite a player..more akin to a 345 neck in feel and action..ordered it new in 1968
    I had a D35 but never bonded..felt more like a strummer. I use them more like my 65 ES175..
    Martin's are fabulous guitars..just not for me..
    Had a Ovation from a NAMM show i worked..really nice but that round back kept slipping away from me..
    Did like a Guild way back then..but the Gibson's did the job for me..

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  16. To Need a Woman

To Need a Woman Senior Member

And the anatomy of one's hand.

But one thing I noticed that does not seem difficult when I switch to acoustic, is the fact that the neck is wider. I seem to automatically adjust to this!

17. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

this is very true,
    most acoustics arrive with a high action, the thinking being let the player decide. Martins tends to set high knowing many of the instruments will be played by bluegrassers who traditionally prefer a higher action. Taylor on the other hand set up their instruments more akin to an electric. I think both these makers know their intended market very well.

Theres also whats involved with setting the action on an acoustic, theres a bit more to it than being let loose with a screwdriver on the bridge like you would do with an electric.
    On an acoustic, as you know, the saddle needs lowering by carefully sanding its lower edge, go too far and you've balls up the whole thing and its off to get another saddle. Shim jobs don't sit well with me. All this complexity tends to put off electric players from setting up their own acoustics so they often end up playing instruments that are not always that well set up unaware it does'nt have to be that way

The necks on acoustics also tend to be more to my liking a lot of it being the wider nut. some people like them some don't anyone coming from a 60's Les Paul could, I suppose, find them a bit odd

MichaelAndrew3435 and artis_xe like this.
  18. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

yeah' I think your right I can swap between a chunky necked tele to a 1 3/4 nut width acoustic and never have a problem. Its the skinny necked LP's that do's my hand in. as much as I love them 10 or 15 minutes playing cramps my hand up

19. frozenotter

frozenotter Down with the Sickness

Seems too artsy for me. I just can't get into acoustic, or clean sounds for that matter.

20. paradice

paradice Senior Member

It's harder to get sustain from an acoustic, compared to electric. Could be the reason you don't care for clean too much