How Much Do You Value Playing Acoustically?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Jul 28, 2017.

1. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

I'm without a doubt a high gain guy. The more gain and more effects and stuff I can play around with, the better!

However, I've been gravitating towards my acoustics a lot more lately. Playing the same songs I normally do just to hear a more basic, stripped down version. I've been doing it for that reason, and also to build some finger strength and flexibility. I definitely sound less creative, a little boring, and repetitive because I'm playing an acoustic like an electric guitar for the most part, but I just value being able to play a song in the most basic way. If I can, I always play my acoustic before touching any of my other guitars in the morning.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

artis_xe and jeff_farkas like this.
  2. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

I find that, if I practice things like scales and other exercises sometimes on an acoustic, it really helps the electric playing in terms of finger strength. Also, I like to do some songs on the acoustic for a different sound now and then, and the singers I work with like the change. I always try to keep a few fingerpicking arrangements of things in my memory.

dka-65, DavGrape and jeff_farkas like this.
  3. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

I think it's more about playing clean to hear your mistakes and correcting them than anything. Using distortion will just cover them up, IMO, and you'll never get the song to sound correct. By playing it clean you'll get there faster.

4. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Guess I'm weird because I don't switch between the two for any type of self improvement practice or to play the same songs different ways..:dunno:

I tend to switch based on the song we're doing. Some of the older stuff and slower more melodic stuff just sounds better on the acoustic.

Some songs we do were done on acoustic by the original artist, so it made sense to continue with the same sound.

I have a K&K transducer in my old Gibson acoustic so I can use it live without a mic.

For our group it lends dynamic to our set. We take an 'old fashioned' approach in that as the team leader, I don't think everyone has to be singing, and playing, all the time, through every song for the whole set.

Some songs are simply better served through a single acoustic guitar and singer, with a set of harmony vocals on the chorus only, for example.

Quiet is good too! Arraignment and structure in the set adds variety to the listeners ears and gives them a break from constantly 'loud' electric music.

I like to play acoustic during the week to noodle on because its grab and go!

No electric or cords or pedals or amps. Just pick it up and sit down in your favorite spot and jam.

Building dexterity and strength is a side benefit, for real! :dude:

5. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

I only plug into an amp at a band rehearsal, the rest of the time I practice on unplugged electric, or acoustic. I know what my amp sounds like, and all my pedals, so at home it's all about fingers & strings, and what goes where!

:)

Davio and jeff_farkas like this.
  6. DavGrape

DavGrape Senior Member

All electric guitars sound the same.
    If you play acoustic good; you is good.

7. JohanHaellgren

JohanHaellgren Senior Member

I play nylon string almost exclusively at home. Only when at band practice or gigs I play electrics, or when I have to figure out parts of certain songs.

8. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

The long story short, I like to play electric unplugged a lot. I feel like if I can make the song sound close to then a plugged it will be much easier get to sound right.

9. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Not all the time... distortion covers some mistakes but shows up many other mistakes... simply it amplifies everything !
    I don't play acoustic but I love how it sounds..

bloodied_fingers likes this.
  10. jeff_farkas

Interesting, what kind of mistakes can is show?
    I would have thought that the majority of the time it would make it hard to hear mistakes.

11. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

any unintended touch to a string whether by right or left hand will be very noticeable

only mistakes while playing rhythms and power chords can be covered by distortion i believe

jeff_farkas likes this.
  12. jeff_farkas

Thanks.. I'll keep that in mind.

Jeff

13. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Playing fingerstyle with 13's means that I am street-tough.

SteveGangi likes this.
  14. scmglotr

scmglotr Junior Member

I learned to play on acoustic and I feel like you learn more about how to play cleanly and pay attention to detail because there is nothing to hide behind. all your strengths and weaknesses are exposed. But as a songwriter I prefer to write on acoustic. I feel like if a song is good it will translate in the most basic and stripped down form. I also feel like to many options tonally can be frustrating and a crutch. I used to have massive pedalboards and multi channel amps but have stripped most of it away to essentials and have found it forces me to be more creative with limitations. And you can take an acoustic anywhere, can't do that with electric, especially during a power outage haha

15. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Member

The Yamaha acoustic stays in the living room, leaning against the wall. Much easier to pick up and play than the electrics.

Davio likes this.
  16. mikejr

mikejr Member

I have been doing the exact same thing lately. Primarily for discipline and finger strength, but I've found the acoustic to be more enjoyable for strumming (especially sitting on the front porch swing).

And there's something inherently bad ass about breaking it down on an acoustic... Must be conditioning from all of the MTV unplugged I was exposed to as a teenager.

17. tippy55

tippy55 Junior Member

The best electric rhythm players use partial chords. Not folk strumming all 6 strings. Totally different styles. I have been playing both solo and ensemble for 50 years and the last 15 primarily acoustic. Lot's of different styles out there.

Rock means breaking a sweat and perfect hook electric playing (with a killer rhythm section and hopefully a great lead singer). Folk is fine for background music and certain venues and occasions. Acoustic strumming (Eagles, Petty, Boring blues, Country etc...) can work (yawn).

But if you're outside and want to bring people towards you play ROCK. That can have acoustic parts just under the high hat in the mix. Don't hide behind muddy distortion. If playing acoustic can help you find your partial chords for your band at gig level volume that would surprise me.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  18. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Did you ever go to a baseball game and see a batter swinging two bats before going to the plate with one? It is much the same with an electric player sometimes playing acoustic. Acoustic guitars put more stress on your playing. If you can play it on an acoustic, you'll always nail it on an electric.

MichaelAndrew3435 likes this.
  19. bloodied_fingers

bloodied_fingers Senior Member

I agree, really high gain can bring out a lot of 'dirty' playing and there is a different (higher?) level of precision I need in order to keep from have a bunch of crap noise when I play.

There is an older axiom about how acoustic is more difficult than electric, but I think high-gain electric comes with it's own nuanced difficulty.

ftr, i generally prefer to play acoustic fingerstyle but this translates poorly to a lot of electric songs.

cranking up distortion and grabbing a pick is a different kettle of fish..

Mockbel likes this.
  20. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

these days I'm playing acoustic a lot more than electric.
    it suits the music I do.

theres something magical about a nice acoustic, but they are unforgiving, you hear what you play

Byron999 and SteveGangi like this.