How much different is the MIJ ESP Eclipse from a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by diogoguitar, Mar 6, 2018.

1. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Member

I'm browsing the internet all over for a more comfortable single cut in left handed.

I own an LP traditional from 2009 and it sounds great. However, I think the guitar is kind of heavy to play standing and not having a belly cut annoys me to play sit (I know, I should man up right?)

Anyhow, I know that the contemporary ESP MIJ Eclipse has a belly cut, which could be a good option for me, but I also noticed the body is also slimmer.

If I get that guitar, I would swap out the pickups to something else (like a pair of duncans).
    Should I still expect a reasonably close tone of what I'm getting from my LP traditional?

My other option is to build a "Tele Gib" from Warmoth with similar specs but with a bolt-on neck. I considered several other options, but these are incredibly more expensive.

What do you guys think? Thanks

2. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Silver Supporter

I owned an LTD Eclipse 1000 back in 2003 i believe it was. It was my first Les Paul type guitar.

It had a slim neck like a 60's LP and the neck was fairly narrow as well. The body is slimmer than a Gibson LP, mine came with Duncans from the factory. I think it had Jeff Beck in the neck and 59 PAF in bridge. It was a real fast playing guitar. The horn is fairly narrow for easier access to the upper frets. Fairly tall perhaps jumbo frets. Set neck, mine had the sperzel locking tuners. It stayed in tune real well.

I'm not sure as to what or how good tjey are now, I think they are made in Indonesia or Vietnam now. Mine was made in Korea. I think mine was from the first run, if I rember right there was only 3 colors to chose from; black, dark cherry and a burst. I picked the burst. The other 2 had EMG's.

I know it didn't satisfy my quest for a true LP that came in 2008 when I bought a 08 Gibson LP Standard.

You should have good luck finding a nice EC-1000 used for under 500.00 Screenshot_20180306-162452.jpg

diogoguitar likes this.
  3. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

Get an Edwards! The quality and weight of an Eclipse with the shape of a Les Paul!

scott 351 wins likes this.