How many winds on a Dual Sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by jasyr, Sep 4, 2017.

1. jasyr

jasyr Member

Anyone ever unwind a late70's-to-late-80's DiMarzio Super Distortion/ Dual Sound?

I was thinking about what a less hot one would sound like...

cheers,

jasyr

2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Oh, man. I've unwound at least a couple dozen of them. ...but for repair. Not for taking turns off in search of a lower output sound.

Ceramic magnets tend to work best with hotter coils. The hotter, midrange-heavy, coils balance out the otherwise plain and bright sounding magnets.

If you're after a lower output pickup that still has SOME qualities of a SD, consider an overwound T-Top.

It's also worth noting that the "high output" of Super Distortions is derived mainly from the magnets, rather than the coils. The coils, themselves, are actually not wound with as many turns as you may think. Another example of the misleading nature of DCR regarding guitar pickups.

3. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

How come?
    Are they wound with 43AWG or something?

4. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Yes. ...and thinner 43 gauge wire, at that. The turn counts aren't actually all that high. The magnets are REALLY thick ceramic magnets. That's where the output comes from and why they stick to your fridge so well.

5. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

It's a little of both. I measured 6.6 henries inductance with a Super Distortion I have one hand. Bridge humbuckers marketted at "P.A.F.", or vintage output, usually show 4.5 to 5.5 henries. Then, there are "hot" bridge humbuckers that go well above 6.5 henries, such as the Tonerider Generator bridge, which they claim has an inductance of 7.6 henries. The Tonerider Rocksong is spec'd at 6.6 henries, exactly what I measured for the Super Distortion. The inductance tells the story that DC resistance won't.

6. jasyr

jasyr Member

wow, interesting! I read somewhere last night that they had about 7000 turns. Does that jibe with the size wire youare talking about?\cheers
    jasyr

7. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

That's believable. I measured 2.8H and 2.9H for the two coils, which would be high for a Strat pickup of 7k turns, but since those Dual Sound coils have steel screws, which increase the inductance more readily than does AlNiCo, it pencils out.