How many different types of Les Paul Traditional are there....

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by miurasv, Jan 1, 2011.

1. miurasv

miurasv Junior Member

.....and how would it differ from the previous Standard model introduced in 2002. I have been told by members of this forum that there is a Traditional Plus and a Traditional Pro. Were these models introduced later than 2008 when the Traditional was introduced? Is there just a normal Traditional too or would the normal Traditional be called Standard Traditional or are they all Standard Traditionals? Yes, I'm sorry it does sound very confused, as I am

2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

The Traditional/Traditional Plus is the same guitar as the 2002 - 2006 Standard (weight-relieved & short neck tenon) with the exception of '57 Classics and plekd frets. There's also only one neck size unlike the old '50s & '60s neck Standards.

Traditional - black or gold.
    Traditional Plus - same as above but with a burst finish.
    Traditional Pro - Guitar Center model. Different pickups, push/pulls, finish, plain top, slim neck.

I think that's about it. The Pro is a newer model.

3. geoangus

geoangus Member

I know what you mean about confusing; many auctions over at e-bay use the "Standard Traditional" description for Traditionals.

4. arthurlespauljunior

arthurlespauljunior Junior Member

5. DonP

DonP Senior Member

I'll add that the hardware is no longer nickel, it's chrome. And instead of having bushing tuners they are threaded. The keys look better I think, I can't stand the green shit.

6. Roberteaux

Roberteaux Alien Hominid V.I.P. Member

Thanks for the link! Even though I own a Traditional, I have also been somewhat confused about the different versions that are out there.

@R9: thank you, also, for the very concise information you presented in this thread. I didn't realize until this morning that I apparently own a Traditional Plus...

--R

7. miurasv

miurasv Junior Member

Thanks for your help. After reading your 101 link I now know lots about Les Pauls so thanks again for all the excellent info. The Traditional Pro also has Grover Locking Tuners but the downside for me is that it has satin, back, sides and neck. They should make a Traditional Pro Plus ha ha.