How many customize their LPs??

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by jeff_farkas, Nov 9, 2017.

Is it worth it?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    83.9%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

I've been mulling over doing some customization of my LP. What I did so far is replace the tuning machines with locking/trimming machines a month or so ago. These
    The next thing I was thinking of was a pickup upgrade and wiring rig upgrade.

How many have gone through this? And is is really worth the time and cost?

Malikon likes this.
  2. jeff_farkas

3. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Good PU choice for hard rock.

C_Becker and jeff_farkas like this.
  4. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

They are like Barbie dolls. You can dress them up in different outfits.

5. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

The only real mods I've done to my Epi were, remove the bridge-pickup cover, and "aged" it.

My Gibby on the other hand...

jeff_farkas likes this.
  6. jeff_farkas

The reason I want to go this route is that I doubt I will/can save up for a better LP from Gibson.. new or used. I love the EPI I have, just the right weight, size and all it needs is a bit better set of pickups. The ones on there now sound just muddy to me.

7. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Essential for the older ones.

jeff_farkas and Who like this.
  8. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Jeff, I put Seymour Duncan Slash pickups in my Epiphone. It changed the character into a much preferable guitar (for me).

The pickups cost more than the guitar. Totally worth it (for me).

JohnnyN and jeff_farkas like this.
  9. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Don't replace your pickups and electronics. The stock ones are fine. ;)

....besides, they are all the same, other than the DCR.

10. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

I personally much prefer the Pegasus/Sentient set to the JB/Jazz. The Pegasus set has that great hard rock and classic metal tone but without the nasty midrange spike of the JB. They are phenomenal. It's a real shame they're not more popular.

The Sentient is to me a slightly more modern version of the Jazz.

I don't care for upgrading the tuners on Epis to locking ones. The Grovers that come stock stay in tune just as well if you know how to restring them properly. The real upgrade you should do with an Epi is dump the cheap junky plastic nut with a TUSQ one.

jeff_farkas likes this.
  11. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Just be careful, it's a slippery slope. Plastics alone are a massive rabbit hole, and I'm not even sure what is being chased down it.

Who likes this.
  12. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I haven't done a pickup change to any of my guitars, but have replaced knobs and changed plastics on two LPs (plus swapping in nickel covers on both), added a pick guard and changed the nut on one LP and rubbed out the satin finish on the other one. On the newest LP, I only added a switch washer and metal jack plate.

My non-LP got the priciest changes but it included a bridge/saddle change along with a new pick guard and neck plate.

Who likes this.
  13. Filipem

Filipem Senior Member

On my Silverburst Custom I replaced the speed knobs with tophats. The nut was swapped out for a bone nut. I installed a mssc wiring harness with pio caps. The pickups were replaced with a Seymour duncan APH-1 in the bridge and a Seymour duncan APH-2 (slash) in the neck. I also replaced the bridge with a gotoh tune o matic and tbe tailpiece was replaced with a gotoh aluminum tail piece. I'm currently thinking of changing the tuning machines with better / different ones. It sounds like a completely different guitar. All of the epi's i moded have had at least had the pickups changed. The stock ones were awful. I've heard the newer probuckers are much better. The epi's I've owned all predated the probuckers.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  14. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Meanwhile all the guitar I own are just fine - they don't need other modification
    than straplocks.....:thumbs:

pbekkerh and jeff_farkas like this.
  15. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Howdy JF. What kind of LP do you have ? And what year ??

Older Standards and Traditionals I think, have 14:1 Tuners. A worthy upgrade here for sure.

My 2002 Custom came with 16:1 and my 2015 Custom came with 18:1.
    I found the 14 horrible. The 16 were acceptable. I could really notice the difference of the 18's when using my chromatic tuner. My friend had locking tuners. Being unfamiliar with them, I didn't care for them.

If you have a plastic nut, you probably want to make that easy, inexpensive, upgrade. Same thing with strap locks.

Pickups are really a personal thing. In this last decade Epiphone has delivered what people call a usable low gain pickup. The pickups you selected are a popular "upgrade" for the harder rock tonez I believe. (Watch out for the PU rabbit hole)

A new wiring rig or harness is a very popular upgrade. Does yours currently have the PCB ?
    Do you have any of the push/pull features ?? Do you want to keep them ??? Will you make your own rig or purchase it. Holey smokes, I'm being a really nosey barker now.

IMHO newer Epiphones use some pretty good quality parts. I have seen Alpha and CTS pots in my Epiphones and Graph Tech nuts. If you have an older Epi, you will probably want to replace the rig, pots may be scratchy etc. If/when you do replace the rig/harness I recommend that you replace the 3 way switch as well.

If you are going to do your own work, you can save $$$ not needing a tech.
    And if you do your own work, I think its TOTALLY worth it, no matter what you do, simply because YOU did it, and I think a guy like you will take personal satisfaction in that.

And finally. Have fun ! Because that's what its all about.

:cheers:

jeff_farkas likes this.
  16. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I did mod my Epi 56 GT P 90 -- but only with things that it needed. Had to replace the pups because the stock ones buzzed louder than the notes! Had to replace the bridge because the stock one was defective. Had to replace the TP because the chrome finish on the stock one wore off after six months.

jeff_farkas likes this.
  17. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

I'll always experience with my guitars. Both my Epiphone Les Pauls were great when I got them. Most hardware and all electronics have been replaced on both though. Great stuff, like a set of €230 PAF replicas.
    However I'm not crazy enough to pay €75 a piece for fake humblebee caps :) But I got a dozen of Russian PIO caps in the drawer. :hmm: maybe I should buy a couple more guitars :laugh2:

jeff_farkas likes this.
  18. bungle

bungle Senior Member

Can't really say if it's worth it as all my Lesters are stock. I just appreciate every guitar for what it is.:dunno: so can't vote in poll. If there was a rats ass I guess it would be that :)

jeff_farkas likes this.
  19. jeff_farkas

My guitar is a 2016 Epi LP Standard.. the one in the images below.

The upgrade to the tuners came about because I broke one on my ES-339 and I had to. When I did I found that the new ones are so good I put them on the LP as well. I like the locking/trimming feature because it's just easier to change for me. I can change the standard tuner but I just like the locking kind more.

The pickups on the current one just sound muddy to me and I know they can be better. As for the wiring I want to add push/pull feature to the tone pots.

As for the work.. I think the cost of having a tech do it is worth it for me. I can solder but I really am not good enough or have done it recently to want to try it.

Overall.. I know this can be a better guitar and I want to get it there.

J

JohnnyN likes this.
  20. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

That's a beauty. Nice LP.

You are totally on the right track.

The tech should have all the parts for the harness and it sounds like you know what you want.
    Are you going to go with 500K pots and 50's wiring ?
    And don't forget to upgrade the 3way switch.

One other upgrade to consider. I like to replace the stock nut with a black tusq nut. I don't know if I notice any difference. I just like the look of the Black.

You were saying you know it can be a better guitar. I think these upgrades are worth the journey.

jeff_farkas likes this.