How long until frankv's next tube amp

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by cherrysunburst00, Nov 13, 2015.

How long until Frank gets another tube amp

1. He already has his eyes set on 1

25 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. 1 day

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. 1 week

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. 1 month

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  5. Frank is DONE with tube amps forever

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

OK, here's a fun thread.

[FONT=&quot]Originally Posted by frankv [/FONT][FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]You won't see me listing anymore NADs around here.[/FONT]

So, how long will it be until everyone's tube ampmeister gets a new amp? ...Or... has he already found 1?

2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

You got me Cherry. I broke down and purchased a Friedman. I always wanted to know how they sounded and played. So now I know.

Wanna see a photo?

OK, here ya go.

[​IMG]

It's all there boys. The touch sensitivity, feel, tone, harmonics... The future is now. To all you tube heads.. I was one.. Here is some advice for you..

EMBRACE THE HORROR.

By the time I get to sample everything this magic box has, I'll be too old to play guitar.. Expecially when considering that I will buy the next upgrade to this wonderful machine

12 people like this.
  3. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Those are nice but they'll drive you insane with all the tweaking you can do.

3 people like this.
  4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

But that "tweaking" is my game... Besides that, the factory presets are ridiculously good and actually need no tweaking.

3 people like this.
  5. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

He has my old Egnater Rebel so after playing around with those other lesser amps he is finally good to go.

Well okay, he's probably sold it already.

4 people like this.
  6. frankv

2 people like this.
  7. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

May work for you but the other guitarist in our band has one and he couldn't stop tweaking. Now he's playing his Marhalls and leaves the Axe for home recording.

1 person likes this.
  8. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

:laugh2: :laugh2:

9. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

2 people like this.
  10. frankv

I might agree for a simple gig plug into a vintage marshall and have at it.. But for me, I don't plan on gigging with it. It is strictly for my playing pleasure in my office.. and for that.. BOY O BOY is it a freaking ton better then any tube amp I have ever had.. and I have had 45 plus over the last 2 years.

WHY?

OK here's what I found after playing it for a few hours last night.

1)Sound quality. As good as any Marshall or Fender I have had
    2) Feel. Yep, no issues there.
    3) Harmonics.. I had so many all over the neck I had to check that I was playing the same guitar I always do.
    4) Effects.. Good god, get tired on one pedal type you say? Load another.
    5) Amps.. I don't know how many of them there are. I'm stuck playing this Freidman Sim because it is rediculous
    6) Cheap.. Yep, it is an affordable system for me. I already had the power amp
    7) Upgradable. Presets available from the Fractal Website. Even Presets from the Artists and pros that use them. All FREE
    8) Low voulme heaven. No attenuator needed and no stupid loud TUBE AMP VOLUME needed. This alone is worth admission price.
    9) I'll have some more reasons tomorrow.

5 people like this.
  11. frankv

I only made that trade with you to make you happy.. :laugh2: I had no intention of keeping that.. hahahahah

You happy? I achieved my goal.. Remember that.

3 people like this.
  12. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I love the trade! Of course there's a very good chance I'll be selling it to make room for a Swart in my near future :)

2 people like this.
  13. frankv

Well of course... hahahahaha

1 person likes this.
  14. affordablehearing

affordablehearing Senior Member

I think that it is the dream for the tweaker. For me... as I use this type of system live and in the studio, I can take a versatile simple rig and do essentially anything from country--> metal.
    Session player dream

1 person likes this.
  15. ricky1918

ricky1918 Senior Member

Frankv, can I PM you about an amp simulation I'm particularly interested in? I would like some first hand impressions

1 person likes this.
  16. frankv

You don't have to ask for permission to PM little old me. Of course brother have at it. I'll even give you my phone number we can talk on the phone

1 person likes this.
  17. frankv

I think the title of this thread should have been how long will Frank have his AXE FX 2 before he trades it in...........

for the AXE FX 2 XL.:thumb::hmm:

1 person likes this.
  18. d2_racing

d2_racing Premium Member

Do you plan to sell your Fryette Power Station ?

You plug your guitar to the Fractal and then you use the Power Station to plug that to your cab I guess ?

What Power amp are you using these days ?

19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Frank, can you detail your set up with the AXE?

Does it need a power amp? Are you running it into a cabinet, or monitors?

I do agree that modeling is the future. And I only have a lowly Mustang I, a $100 modeler. At low volumes, it is tough to beat. It is still fun to plug into my Champ, Champion 600, Lead 20, or 2204, but the Mustang can come pretty close to sounding like any of them. For $100. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  20. frankv

The Power Station was the first thing to go brother. It is simply not needed at all..

Remember why an attenuator is needed in the first place. It's because tube amps need to be cranked to get anything good out of them. The AXE and other unit at this level don't have these limitations. Room level sound is already there in quality. The sound quality is not being produced by over driven tubes.

1 person likes this.