How Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Dec 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

No, I got your point. I did. I don't think you got mine though. I'm assuming you would agree that Amp A responds differently than amp B. If I roll the volume back on Amp A, when it's at point of break-up, it responds differently than doing the same on Amp B. Amp B's notes bloom differently. Different responses to pick attack, etc. Their tone, is different.

So, in regards to what your talking about, you are going to adjust your approach differently, to approximate tat tone in your head. Your going to 'play' them differently. Just you and the amp, but with 2, different (or 3 or 4) trying to get that full range of your sound with each.

My Kemper has a crapload of effects. Not Axe FX numbers, but a ton. I don't really mess wit them often. What I DO like to do, is dial-up different amps, and working with their different nuances, responses, to play them as the slightly different instrument they are, adjust MY technique to factor them in, Just me, guitar, Amp Rig wit Amp Profile and MAYBE reverb.

2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Thanks, Matty. :thumb:

For some reason, I was picturing grown men in medieval costumes. :dunno:

3. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I see this thread is back to arguing back and forth again. The topic was I believe about practicing. That by its very definition means "not live" in front of an audience unless some of you are really ballsy!
    Changing delays doesn't change your tone, I've heard some pretty nifty stuff done with delay times syncronized with play speeds to fill out parts and not get messy or jumbled and make the part seem more complex. I've also heard the opposite and I'm wondering what the heck that means here as adjusting delays on anything "on the fly" isn't easy unless the controls are right by your picking hand and you can play and tweak as you go. Are we talking the Les Paulerizer or Danny Ganton's Gizmo here? WTF!

4. KenG

KenG Senior Member

It's also has some of the best vids and tracks (performed and posted not by famous players but by the actual forum members posting) I've ever had the pleasure to witness and many times very good playing, tones and sound quality. IMO "professional" level and quite impressive. There's a whole world out there folks.

It also has a degree of animosity between the old and the new. With a larger base community though it's not quite as focused as MLP.
    Still hard to not be impressed with some folks can do with this stuff

Edit When I say the some of the best demos and vids I'm definitely counting the entire squawk forum, not this little sub-forum with a few members!

5. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Thanks

6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I don't see arguing, I see further clarification of prior posts.

7. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

In future I must read OPs more thoroughly :)

8. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Huh??

You said you would have to set up a patch for each delay setting. Did you not say that? I have both read and understood. My response was telling you you don't need to set up a patch for each setting. Maybe you don't get the difference between a patch and a stomp/snap switch. If you MEANT to say that you would have to set it up before hand (like any FX pedal), than you'd be right. Have a nice day.:)

9. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

We are 249 posts in so far and I will recap what I have found. Having so many options available to me with this new equipment I again must say that I find inspiration over and above what I use to have here. Primary Marshalls that is.

Case in point. Yesterday I was on what AXE calls a Brownface preset which is built on a Fender amp model. This model, because it is mostly a clear tone with dirt , causes me to play (and practice) in styles suited to those tones..

This morning I needed something else.. So I had a look at the hundreds of amp models afforded me by Fractal and chose a 6160 Block Letter amp model. Of course this is a Peavey EVH style amp with those tones on tap. This causes a completely different feeling for me and that in turn causes a completely didn't practice routine..

Now I can honestly say that most of you that have responded somewhat on topic may be totally missing the point. I think you miss the point because you are cemented into a tube type amp that offers up one style of tone.

Now Splat. I will address your posts because you come from the angle that rolling back the guitars tone and volume controls will change the tone. While it is certainly true.. You do not alter the tone like changing from a Fender Clean to an EVH fire-breather.. This is the point of this thread.

Because these advanced modelers can do that for a player it in turn causes very many more inspired practice sessions and for longer times. . That is really just the way it is and I don't see how any one can really argue with that.

So as a former tube junkie, and knowing what that gave me.. I asked a very simply question. How Is It Possible? To stay motivated when all you have is a single tonal option.. I ask this from personal experience because when I was that tube dude, I got tired very quickly playing the same style amp over and over again.

Now to address the other group of guys that say.

"I ONLY play clean and that is all I need"

Well then this discussion isn't for you. Or is it for metal heads that are gained out so much they have no idea what amp they are playing any more and that is all they want. For everyone else, guys that do like a mix of styles and tones.. That's the threads audience.

10. frankv

I also want to add in this post ( because the above is too large already) the following.

For those that say.. But Frank.. I use pedals to get the tone I want.. Oh, so in other words you are using portable modeling devices? Because that is what you are using and therefore we have no issue because you are on "modeling lite" equipment. The fact of the matter is this. All you guys that have huge or semi huge pedal boards. You are already SS and digital using modeling equipment.. So there is no longer any argument. All us modeling guys have done is make that rig simpler and more effective.

The absolutely funniest example I can give is using the so called lowly JCM 900. When guys first saw the specs on that amp what did they say?

"that amp sucks because it has diodes inside it."

What a crock of crap that was because any time a player uses any of the thousands of effects pedals.. What did they do? They put diodes and transistors in the signal path.

11. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Happy New Year to all my Modeling Friends. May the new year continue to bring playing pleasure and sonic nirvana to you.

12. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

I own an Axe Fx and my son is loaded with Bias stuff. I have no issues with not having many options as have thousands of guitarist before and after me. I try to keep practice simple and worry about my technique, timing and melodic phrasing. You like all the options at your fingers. I am not there. I find it a bit overwhelming and most go unused by me. So it is possible and depends on what you like. A fender Mustang is all I really need. But for the tubes amps occupying space here, I have not bothered to buy one since it does not provide that much more vs what I own. Heck.. I have trouble playing all the stupid guitars I have accumulated and my collection is meager.

Now a friend of mine and former band mate is killing me, trying to get me to sell the Axe to him. He loves different sounds, tones, pedals, mix/match, etc. I will probably sell it to him as it makes sense for his playing style.

Each to their own...c'est la vie.

13. frankv

You are overwhelmed by it and that is reason enough right there. :thumb:

14. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

wow...you have a unique ability to make those with a different opinion feel belittled. Thank you for that.

15. frankv

Wait a minute you said you were overwhelmed not me. I just quoted you. Read the very message I responded to. Your snide reply was uncalled for

16. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

:thumb:

17. frankv

You are as bad as he is. You're giving him a thumbs up? He called himself overwhelmed not me

18. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I don't know what's going on between you two. I'm not trying to fight, I just agree with the statement.

19. frankv

So let me get this straight buddy, you think I'm here to belittle members that don't agree with me?

20. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.